Need somebody that can create their own shot | Syracusefan.com

Need somebody that can create their own shot

would be nice to see a hand check called .. detroit got a lot of steals reaching in.. mcw was awful late today though

A lot of bad performances tonight in the last 10 minutes. They let down but This was a wakeup call for MCW.

How Christmas wasn't posting up and getting the ball on one or two of those possessions with 4 minutes left is beyond me.

Our guards were not "rocks" tonight. We lose to any half decent squad. Lets learn from it and get better.

Hard to do stall ball when you only have one reliable jump shooter on the team and only one guy who can really create offense.

How Christmas wasn't posting up and getting the ball on one or two of those possessions with 4 minutes left is beyond me.

I agree he has showed us a much improved offensive game of late and they had no one to stop him.

We have a big size advantage inside but didn't take advantage. Awful shot selection in the last 7-8 minutes. All jump shots. How about getting it inside? CJ another sleep walking game and Coleman and Rak are too raw to be consistent. Ouch.

This team [perhaps more than any in recent memory] is almost 100% reliant upon the PG to initiate the offense and create scoring opportunities. That doesn't mean that guys like Triche can't do some things off of the bounce, that CJ occasionally can't drive, etc. But in general, the OP hit the nail on the head: this team gets really average offensively quickly if MCW isn't slithering into the lane and finding guys for quality looks when the defense adjusts to him.

This team [perhaps more than any in recent memory] is almost 100% reliant upon the PG to initiate the offense and create scoring opportunities. That doesn't mean that guys like Triche can't do some things off of the bounce, that CJ occasionally can't drive, etc. But in general, the OP hit the nail on the head: this team gets really average offensively quickly if MCW isn't slithering into the lane and finding guys for quality looks when the defense adjusts to him.

Yeah, the last two years the ball seemed to move better. This year, its in MCW's hands 80% of the time. Granted, he has been great...but, guys like CJ and Rak do a lot of standing and watching. CJ looks frustrated at times, but has been great about hitting the boards and getting stick backs. I imagine he thought he would be 'featured' more in the offense.

MCW did have a double-double, though.

This is going to sound strange. As good as MCW has been, I thought he'd be better. Great passer, defender, sees the court so well. But I thought he'd be more of a scorer. Thought he'd be more effective with runners in the lane and more consistent with his outside shot.

the offense got really stagnant when james went out.. detroit really played good d for a stretch too.. rak could have had a big night if we fed the ball to him more. we have to hit those bunnies and have to take better care of the ball.

This is going to sound strange. As good as MCW has been, I thought he'd be better. Great passer, defender, sees the court so well. But I thought he'd be more of a scorer. Thought he'd be more effective with runners in the lane and more consistent with his outside shot.
Yes very strange indeed. Why can't he get an assist and hit the floater in the lane at the same time?While he's at it he should do the laundry and make the gatorade and clean the sweat spots off the floor. He has been a total failure! And not a single game did he get a triple double. Just what did anyone see in him anyway? He is only leading college ball in one category and is a sad top ten in a few others. Just thought he'd do better.

Now as for last year he should have played all the minutes of both guard spots and we would have been national champs!

Did I miss anything?

the offense got really stagnant when james went out.. detroit really played good d for a stretch too.. rak could have had a big night if we fed the ball to him more. we have to hit those bunnies and have to take better care of the ball.
Southerland, Triche and MCW can create their own shots. Boeheim doesn't encourage them to do so. Coleman wants to make something happen, but his shot isn't dropping yet. Fair has the green light to slice into the lane, but defenses know where he is going, into the lane and they are setting up off his left hand. That was a nice shift when he went to his right for a layup.

would love to see RaXmas used more in the half court

That lefty hook he drilled at the beginning of the second half looked pretty. He's showing flashes. Needs consistency.

My big concern is that to maximize this team's potential, they need to have a semblance of consistent low post play that the team can count on. I like the raw materials we have with both Coleman / Rak [and to a far lesser extent, Keita]. But I'm concerned that they might not fully round into form until NEXT year--a year too late [post-MCW, Southerland, Triche].

IMO, the biggest three obstacles hindering this team are:

1] Need to cut down on unforced turnovers​
2] Need to do a better job defending the interior​
3] Need inside scoring​

How well those three questions get answered [or fail to materialize] will go a long way toward determining what this team's ceiling is, in my opinion.

It's not over, but MCW showing his age/lack of experience right here. Turnovers, contested 3's. Hero ball.

Didn't you hear? He was our best player last season and should have started at the point.

It's not over, but MCW showing his age/lack of experience right here. Turnovers, contested 3's. Hero ball.

I honestly thought MCW played with the exact same mentality he's played with all year. And I don't remember him taking any contested 3's. I remember one wide open 3 that he missed, and one step back 3 that he missed when he had a mismatch on him if I'm not mistaken. It wasn't the way that he was playing, it was just the result of that play that made it look like he was playing hero ball. He's done the same things all year and it's worked.

me, too: SU notched only one field goal in the final 10 minutes of play, and it was a text book low post move from Roc. After that, the offense was nothing but bricked threes, turnovers, and free throws

I honestly thought MCW played with the exact same mentality he's played with all year. And I don't remember him taking any contested 3's. I remember one wide open 3 that he missed, and one step back 3 that he missed when he had a mismatch on him if I'm not mistaken. It wasn't the way that he was playing, it was just the result of that play that made it look like he was playing hero ball. He's done the same things all year and it's worked.
He had to take the step-back three to beat the time clock. No choice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom