Needing to make more shots | Syracusefan.com

Needing to make more shots

NineOneSeven

2018-19 Iggy Hoops Leader Scorer
We joke about that a lot on here. Probably because it's one of the simplest answers you can give, and could be applied to any single game based on how points are scored in basketball.

I was fiddling around with some advanced statistics, and did a search of every player this season who meets the below criteria. Obviously, there will usually be a correlation between minutes and shot attempts and the criteria I chose is most likely going to be guards only.

>/= 25 mpg
</= 0.47 eFG%
>/= 6 3PA/g
Sorted by lowest FTA/g (can they get themselves to the line?)

We need to find better ways to get our guards open shots (catch and shoot), and we need to hope they can hit them at a higher clip than they have this year, and more consistently. Or, and most clear to me, we need to completely de-emphasize that aspect of the game and prioritize the forwards a lot more.

1612900056317.png

Edit- screenshot might be hard to see. Will try to make that better. If you click it, it's easy to view.

We joke about that a lot on here. Probably because it's one of the simplest answers you can give, and could be applied to any single game based on how points are scored in basketball.

I was fiddling around with some advanced statistics, and did a search of every player this season who meets the below criteria. Obviously, there will usually be a correlation between minutes and shot attempts and the criteria I chose is most likely going to be guards only.

>/= 25 mpg
</= 0.47 eFG%
>/= 6 3PA/g
Sorted by lowest FTA/g (can they get themselves to the line?)

We need to find better ways to get our guards open shots (catch and shoot), and we need to hope they can hit them at a higher clip than they have this year, and more consistently. Or, and most clear to me, we need to completely de-emphasize that aspect of the game and prioritize the forwards a lot more.

View attachment 196225

Edit- screenshot might be hard to see. Will try to make that better. If you click it, it's easy to view.
there aren't a lot of great teams on that there list. Not fan of the company we're keeping.

a better inside game would pull defenders back and result in more open shots from outside

Maybe if he moved a little more and passed to the low post he might get open a little more. His kryptonite seems to be physical teams that rough him up on d. When he gets pushed around he starts missing even when he's open. I think they get into his head too easily.

No... and we have 2!

We have two of the Top Ten masons in the entire COUNTRY!!!

(who are also pretty good FT shooters, yet draw nearly zero fouls to utilize that one thing they do at an elite level).

And the only ACC players I saw on that list.
(hardly any other P5 players there either).

Guess they really are lunctime Y players.
Awesome

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom