Neighborhood Wine Club... | Syracusefan.com

Neighborhood Wine Club...

newmexicuse

All Conference
My wife & I got to host our neighborhood gathering of middle to upper middle class alcoholics. A great way to drink behind the veil of respectability and maturity.

Anyways, my NBA scout friend was in attendance as his frequent pre-draft travels do not begin for another week, so there was plenty of opportunity for sports talk. The dismal Knick game was on the wide screen in the background. Pacers were in complete control throughout. How many times did the Knicks get to within 3 to 5 only to see Indiana re-assert themselves. I saw Melo blow a couple of bunnies that might have lifted the Knicks had the plays been finished. Hibbert - wow !!! Where did this scoring capability come from ????? Too much general socializing to really focus on the game, and it was certainly not one I wanted to re-watch from the DVR. The delete button was used immediately after the gathering broke up.

My friend's team will draft in the top five.

He likes big guards & likes MCW - he said MCW will be part of his team's pre-draft conversations, but mostly likely they would draft a big. He sees MCW going 8 to 12. Said one negative on MCW was his immaturity.

He said CJ almost certainly would not have gotten into the first round this year, so it seems as if CJ got good advice.

He thinks James will get drafted mid-second round, but there there were off-court issues (unstated as to what they were).

He does not think Brandon will get drafted - only sees him as a 2G. As an NBA 2G Brandon would be too small plus too inconsistent. Said he can't envision Brandon keeping up w an NBA PG when I aid that he might be able to also play some point. Said getting drafted in the second round is really irrelevant to the kid, since contracts are not guaranteed & that Brandon will get to somebody's camp & have a shot.

He said it is often hard to evaluate Cuse players because in NBA terms nobody knows how well they will defend.

He also brought up Ennis, much to my surprise. NBA scouts are not allowed to scout HS games unless a blood relative is playing, but he said he has heard good things about the kid. Hopefully the grapevine is accurate.

In terms of other players of interest. He likes McLemore at the top. He doesn't like Nerlens at all & personally has him around #10- at best. He said the kid is rail thin & very self-conscious about it.

That about covers topics of interest from our chit chat.

Wine at the wine club is always great. Everybody brings at least one bottle plus munchies. When the club was first formed the tasting was very formal. Now it is just dive right in. I tend to drink reds in the winter & whites when it is warmer out. Somebody brought a very nice blue teal from a NM winery that had me hooked. Unfortunately, too much blue teal & not enough re-collection of which winery it was from. I blame it on the Knicks - they drove me to excess drink.

Where in NM do you live? My guess is NE Heights in Abq... I'd really like to move to the area one day, Placitas is high on my list too.

Where in NM do you live? My guess is NE Heights in Abq... I'd really like to move to the area one day, Placitas is high on my list too.
I live in Tijeras in the mountains east of Albuquerque. I really like Placitas as well. NE heights is a great area if you want to be in the city. I prefer areas where there is some acreage and privacy. Average lot size in my neighborhood is 3 to 4 acres. Hope you eventually get to the area, if you ever just visit, I would be happy to show you around. Ironically, I have a nephew who just has re-located to Houston from the NE for his first career job.

Thanks newmexicuse. Always like seeing those posts about your NBA friend. Big wine guy myself. I highly recommend wine from Walla Walla, WA or the surrounding areas in Columbia Valley. Becoming a wine power and just as good as Napa/Sonoma but not as touristy yet. They can get a bit pricey since they are smaller productions but just awesome stuff. L'Ecole 41, Tamarack Cellars, Dunham, Leonetti, Walla Walla Vintners. Some of the heavy hitters!

My wife & I got to host our neighborhood gathering of middle to upper middle class alcoholics. A great way to drink behind the veil of respectability and maturity.

Anyways, my NBA friend was in attendance as his frequent pre-draft travels do not begin for another week, so there was plenty of opportunity for sports talk. The dismal Knick game was on the wide screen in the background. Pacers were in complete control throughout. How many times did the Knicks get to within 3 to 5 only to see Indiana re-assert themselves. I saw Melo blow a couple of bunnies that might have lifted the Knicks had the plays been finished. Hibbert - wow !!! Where did this scoring capability come from ????? Too much general socializing to really focus on the game, and it was certainly not one I wanted to re-watch from the DVR. The delete button was used immediately after the gathering broke up.

My friend's team will draft in the top five.

He likes big guards & likes MCW - he said MCW will be part of his team's pre-draft conversations, but mostly likely they would draft a big. He sees MCW going 8 to 12. Said one negative on MCW was his immaturity.

He said CJ almost certainly would not have gotten into the first round this year, so it seems as if CJ got good advice.

He thinks James will get drafted mid-second round, but there there were off-court issues (unstated as to what they were).

He does not think Brandon will get drafted - only sees him as a 2G. As an NBA 2G Brandon would be too small plus too inconsistent. Said he can't envision Brandon keeping up w an NBA PG when I aid that he might be able to also play some point. Said getting drafted in the second round is really irrelevant to the kid, since contracts are not guaranteed & that Brandon will get to somebody's camp & have a shot.

He said it is often hard to evaluate Cuse players because in NBA terms nobody knows how well they will defend.

He also brought up Ennis, much to my surprise. NBA scouts are not allowed to HS games unless a blood relative is playing, but he said he has heard good things about the kid. Hopefully the grapevine is accurate.

In terms of other players of interest. He likes McLemore at the top. He doesn't like Nerlens at all & personally has him around #10- at best. He said the kid is rail thin & very self-conscious about it.

That about covers topics of interest from our chit chat.

Good stuff,
The Magic may have taken Smart 1st overall if he declared for the NBA draft. Out of all the bigs Noel is the only American college player I can see playing in an All-Star game(Bennett is Canadian). He actually showed decent potential if he gets coached up. I hear Oladipo is flying up draft boards and may go before McLemore. I can't see any NBA team in the top 5 taking Trey Burke. The kid is a good player, but watching him in college he seems like a SG trapped in a short PG's body. Not many tiny PGs 6'0'' are allstars and watching Burke I never saw anything that made me scream good NBA pro. MCW has more potential than Burke as long as he becomes a moderate shooter. If I was drafting as a GM I would take 1. McLemore 2. Noel 3. Oladipo 4. Porter 5. Bennett then the rest of the top 10 is a crapshoot. McCollum's stock is going to improve because of Damian Lillard and Steph Curry showing mid-major college players can be real good NBA players.

I just don't see Oladipo as more than a Tony Allen-type. No way Oladipo is 6'5; is he?

Good stuff,
The Magic may have taken Smart 1st overall if he declared for the NBA draft. Out of all the bigs Noel is the only American college player I can see playing in an All-Star game(Bennett is Canadian). He actually showed decent potential if he gets coached up. I hear Oladipo is flying up draft boards and may go before McLemore. I can't see any NBA team in the top 5 taking Trey Burke. The kid is a good player, but watching him in college he seems like a SG trapped in a short PG's body. Not many tiny PGs 6'0'' are allstars and watching Burke I never saw anything that made me scream good NBA pro. MCW has more potential than Burke as long as he becomes a moderate shooter. If I was drafting as a GM I would take 1. McLemore 2. Noel 3. Oladipo 4. Porter 5. Bennett then the rest of the top 10 is a crapshoot. McCollum's stock is going to improve because of Damian Lillard and Steph Curry showing mid-major college players can be real good NBA players.

I agree with Barkley regarding the first pick being McLemore - his reasoning, "I want a shooting guard that can shoot".

Outside of McLemore, I like Porter and Bazz (I don't care how old he is). None will be superstars, but I think those three can play important roles.

Some later round guys I like to eventually be contributors are Steve Adams and CJ Leslie.

I just don't see Oladipo as more than a Tony Allen-type. No way Oladipo is 6'5; is he?
I love VO as a basketball player. Is just good to excellent at every phase. Smart kid too!

I agree with Barkley regarding the first pick being McLemore - his reasoning, "I want a shooting guard that can shoot".

Outside of McLemore, I like Porter and Bazz (I don't care how old he is). None will be superstars, but I think those three can play important roles.

Some later round guys I like to eventually be contributors are Steve Adams and CJ Leslie.

I'm putting all my 2013 draft stock on Dieng.

I live in Tijeras in the mountains east of Albuquerque. I really like Placitas as well. NE heights is a great area if you want to be in the city. I prefer areas where there is some acreage and privacy. Average lot size in my neighborhood is 3 to 4 acres. Hope you eventually get to the area, if you ever just visit, I would be happy to show you around. Ironically, I have a nephew who just has re-located to Houston from the NE for his first career job.

Cool. Some snow over there in the canyon from time to time, eh? I know I-40 gets hosed from time to time.

My wife is from Albuquerque so we have tons of family there and visit often.

ps If your nephew just moved here he is in for a rude surprise. For reasons completely unexplainable by anyone here, it's basically been San Diego here for 3 weeks. The gloves are about to come off, however. Stuffs about to get real with the weather. He will be melting from the humidity coming from the high desert.

I love VO as a basketball player. Is just good to excellent at every phase. Smart kid too!

Oladipo is good. Tony Allen is good. He does many things well, you're right. I don't see him dynamic enough on offense to be more than a Tony Allen-type, imo.

Boxed wine or Adios

In australia, it's called "goon". Which brings me to the "goon olympics", featuring 50+ abroad kids getting wasted off boxed wine on the beach on a warm fall day. I woke up mid-blackout and found myself in a headlock wrestling with my buddy. Ah, the memories.

Smooth reds will do nicely ... Malbec, Pinot Noir, a nice Zin (lodi) or any good California red (LaCrema comes to mind). Any one of these will take the sting out of a Knicks loss in a hurry.

Cool. Some snow over there in the canyon from time to time, eh? I know I-40 gets hosed from time to time.

My wife is from Albuquerque so we have tons of family there and visit often.

ps If your nephew just moved here he is in for a rude surprise. For reasons completely unexplainable by anyone here, it's basically been San Diego here for 3 weeks. The gloves are about to come off, however. Stuffs about to get real with the weather. He will be melting from the humidity coming from the high desert.

Great to hear that you often visit - if you are ever here when a Cuse game of any kind is on be sure to let me know - we can hook up in front of the wide screen at my casa or meet at a sports bar.

Yeah, in the mountains we sometimes get enough of the white stuff to remind me of my Cuse days. This year only had a few 2 to 4" dustings & I didn't even have to whip out the snow blower !!!

she's a BRICK.HOUSE. i'm willing to gamble in 2013 on an oregon pinot noir. young and feisty out of the gate but mellows with age.

Brick House “Les Dijonnais” 2010 $49

Winemaker/Proprietor Doug Tunnell is simply producing incredible bottles. Wines with focus and complexity and- dare I say it- soul. In particular I was mesmerized by the 2010 “Les Dijonnais” bottling. The 2010 vintage was cooler and rainier in Willamette; somewhat vilified when compared to the blockbuster, opulent 2009 vintage. But, if you’re a person who digs structural integrity, elegance, acidity, and subtlety… this is your wine.
Joe HerrigWine Portfolio Manager, Atlanta, Georgia

It's getting warm here in North Texas so I've been starting to break out the summer wines. Had two excellent bottles last weekend, a 2011 Domaine Tempier Bandol and a 2011 Sauvion Sancerre. Highly recommend both.

1997 Quintarelli Amarone Classico. Just to add some old world flavor up in here.

I have high hopes for this thread. On one of the old boards I frequented, we had a very nice thread devoted to microbrews that I would use as a buyer's guide. Let's move this to entertainment or one of the other OT forums and Tee can work his magic and make us a master list based on color and style.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom