Net Points, etc. - Connecticut | Syracusefan.com

Net Points, etc. - Connecticut

SWC75

Bored Historian
I’ve added so many things to my post-game “Net Points” posts over the years that it’s become a very long post to read and a longer one to do. I’ve decided to have separate posts for the numbers for a particular game and for the cumulative season totals. It’s the later that takes most of the time and lengthens the post so much. There was too much verbiage and too many numbers.

I’m still going to figure the season totals but I’ll post them at three different stages of the season: after the pre-conference schedule, after the conference schedule and after the post season. In the meantime, I’ll go with this stream-lined version of “Net Points, etc.” after each game, with numbers and commentary only for that game. That should make it both quicker to do and more digestible.

Net Points
(points + rebounds + assists + steals + blocks minus missed field goals and free throws, turnovers and personal fouls)

DaJuan Coleman 16 in 28 minutes
Tyler Lydon 8 in 40 minutes
Andrew White 5 in 37 minutes
Tyler Roberson 3 in 13 minutes
John Gillon 0 in 16 minutes
Taurean Thompson -1 in 4 minutes
Tyus Battle -2 in 35 minutes
Franklin Howard -6 in 27 minutes
Paschal Chukwu DNP

Awards

Offensive Dude of the Game, (O-Dog)
(Points plus assists)
Andrew White 15

Individual Offensive Efficiency
(Points minus field goal and free throw attempts)
DaJuan Coleman 5

Sat Us Down
(Who scored the first SU basket of each half)
1st Half- Tyus Battle with a trey at 19:06
2nd Half- Andrew White with a trey at 19:29

TACO Bell MVP
(Who scored the point that got us to 70, which gets you free tacos with your ticket stub)
You don’t get a taco with 50 points. Or maybe they force you to eat one.

My Man
(Who played the most minutes)
Tyler Lydon 40

Team Stats:

POSSESSION

Rebounding
(Add each team’s offensive rebounds to their opponent’s defensive rebounds. Then figure the offensive rebounds as a percentage of that)
We rebounded 13 of our 45 misses = 28.9%
They rebounded 10 of their 39 misses = 25.6%

Effective Offensive Rebounding
(Divide second chance points by the offensive rebounds)
We got 8 points on 13 O-Rebs = 0.62 points
They got 10 points on 10 O-Rebs = 1.00 points

Turnovers
(Total turnovers – the other team’s steals = unforced turnovers)
We had 12 turnovers – 7 steals = 5 unforced
They had 13 turnovers – 6 steals = 7 unforced

Points per Takeaway
(Points off turnovers divided by the number of turnovers the other team had)
We had 12 points from 13 takeaways = 0.92 points
They had 4 points from 12 takeaways = 0.33 points

Manufactured Possessions
(One teams rebounds + the other team’s turnovers)
We had 42 + 13 = 55
They had 42 + 12 = 54

Scoring

Shooting
(shots made and attempted and the percentage for two point goal attempts, three point attempts and free throws)
We were 8 for 28 on twos, (.286), 6 of 26 on threes (.231) and 16 for 24 on frees (.667)
They were 9 for 26 on twos, (.346), 7 for 25 on threes (.280) and 13 for 23 on frees (.565)

(PIP= points in the paint, POP = points outside the paint, which is total points – PIP –free throws made, TREY: points from three point shots, TZ= Twilight Zone, which is POP – TREY, two point jumpers from outside the paint, FBP = fast break points TOP= points off turnovers)
We had 8 PIP, 26 POP, 18 TREY, 8 TZ, 2 FBP, 12 TOP
They had 12 PIP, 27 POP, 21 TREY, 6 TZ, 0 FBP, 4 TOP

First Chance/Second Chance
(FCP is First Chance Points, which is total points - second chance points – fast break points – free throws made, courtesy of Pat. SCP is second chance points.)
We had 24 FCP and 8 SCP
They had 29 FCP and 10 SCP

Starters/Bench
(Total points – bench points = starters points)
Our starters scored 41 points and our bench scored 9 points
Their starters scored 41 points and their bench scored 11 points

Assists
(The percentage of a team’s baskets that were assisted)
We assisted 9 of our 14 field goals, 64.3%
They assisted 13 of their 16 field goals 81.25%

Team Offensive Efficiency
(Possessions: Field goals attempted - offensive rebounds + turnovers + 47.5% of free throws attempted. Efficiency is total points divided by possessions)
We scored 50 points in 64 possessions = 0.782 points/possession
They scored 52 points in 65 possessions = 0.800 points/ possession
It was a 129 possession game

Breakdown by Quarters
(Points scored between the beginning of the game and the 10 minute mark of the first half, then halftime, then the 10 minute mark of the second half, the end of regulation and then overtime of there was one)
11-12, 12-9, 12-19, 15-12

FOULS
(Two point shots, points in paint and free throws attempted per times fouled.)
We attempted 28 two point shots, scored 8 points in the paint, attempted 24 free throws and were fouled 17 times = 1.65, 0.47, 1.41
They attempted 26 two point shots, scored 12 points in the paint, attempted 23 free throws and were fouled 18 times = 1.85, 2.00, 1.23

Comments:

- This is using the numbers on the PDF box score from Cuse.com. When I did my Upside/Downside that wasn’t up yet and I used the ESPN box score which had some differences. For example Cuse.com has Lydon 1 for 7, ESPN had him 1/8.

- Tyus Battle and Andrew White both hit treys to sit us down in the first minute of each half- encouraging starts. We then missed 11 treys in a row the rest of the first half and 14 of 18 the rest of the second half.

- The two teams missed 75 of 105 shots, a scintillating 28.6% from the field. It wasn’t just missing threes: the two teams combined to miss 37 of 54 two point shots. Naismith or at least Wooden must have been spinning in his grave.

- There were plenty of rebounds in this game but neither team did a good job of getting their own misses back. 23 of 84 misses were rebounded by the offensive team, 27%.

- We scored 14 baskets in 40 minutes. That’s an average of one every three minutes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom