Net Points, Etc. - Georgetown | Syracusefan.com

Net Points, Etc. - Georgetown

SWC75

Bored Historian
I’ve added so many things to my post-game “Net Points” posts over the years that it’s become a very long post to read and a longer one to do. I’ve decided to have separate posts for the numbers for a particular game and for the cumulative season totals. It’s the later that takes most of the time and lengthens the post so much. There was too much verbiage and too many numbers.

I’m still going to figure the season totals but I’ll post them at three different stages of the season: after the pre-conference schedule, after the conference schedule and after the post season. In the meantime, I’ll go with this stream-lined version of “Net Points, etc.” after each game, with numbers and commentary only for that game. That should make it both quicker to do and more digestible.

Net Points
(points + rebounds + assists + steals + blocks minus missed field goals and free throws, turnovers and personal fouls)

Oshae Brissett 26NP in 45 minutes
Frank Howard 12NP in 44 minutes
Tyus Battle 12NP in 45 minutes
Matthew Moyer 11NP in 33 minutes
Marek Dolezaj 9NP in 22 minutes
Paschal Chukwu 4NP in 24minutes
Howard Washington 0NP in 1 minutes
Bourama Sidibe -6NP in 11 minutes

DNP coach’s decision
None

Injured or suspended
None

Left team
Geno Thorpe

Awards

Offensive Dude of the Game, (O-Dog)

(Points plus assists)

Tyus Battle 29 + 1 = 30

Scoring Efficiency
(Points minus field goal and free throw attempts)

Tyus Battle 29 points – 15 mfg – 0 mft = 14

Sat Us Down
(Who scored the first SU basket of each half)

1st Half- Tyus Battle jumper 59 seconds in
2nd Half- Oshae Brissett lay-up 1:40 in

TACO Bell MVP
(Who scored the point that got us to 70, which gets you free tacos with your ticket stub)

Tyus Battle with a trey 28 seconds into OT

My Man
(Who played the most minutes?)

Tyus Battle and Oshae Brissett 45 minutes (Frank Howard 'only' had 44)

Team Stats:
(I’ve decided to put the team that won the stat in bold and ties in italics.)

POSSESSION

Rebounding
(Add each team’s offensive rebounds to their opponent’s defensive rebounds. Then figure the offensive rebounds as a percentage of that)

We rebounded 19 of our 47 misses = 40.4%
They rebounded 9 of their 34 misses = 26.5%

Effective Offensive Rebounding
(Divide second chance points by the offensive rebounds)

We got 11 points on 19 O-Rebs = 0.579 points/O-reb
They got 8 points on 9 O-Rebs = 0.889 points/ O-reb

Unforced Turnovers
(Total turnovers – the other team’s steals = unforced turnovers)

We had 16 turnovers – 11 steals = 5 unforced
They had 16 turnovers – 8 steals = 8 unforced

Points per Takeaway
(Points off turnovers divided by the number of turnovers the other team had)

We had 14 points from 16 takeaways = 0.875 points/takeaway
They had 20 points from 16 takeaways = 1.250 points/takeaway

Unsettled Situations
(Effective offensive rebounding + Points per Takeaway: [Second Chance Point + Points off Turnovers] divided by [Offensive Rebounds + Opposition Turnovers)

We had 25 points in 35 unsettled situations = 0.714 points
They had 28 points in 25 unsettled situations = 1.120 points

Manufactured Possessions
(One teams rebounds + the other team’s turnovers)

We had 44 + 16 = 60
They had 37 + 16= 53

Scoring

Shooting
(shots made and attempted and the percentage for two point goal attempts, three point attempts and free throws)

We were 18 for 46 on twos, (39.1%), 10 for 23 on threes (43.5%) and 20 for 28 on frees (71.4%)
They were 24 for 40 on twos, (60.0%), 2 for 17 on threes (11.8%) and 25 for 30 on frees (83.3%)

(PIP= points in the paint, POP = points outside the paint, which is total points – PIP –free throws made, TREY: points from three point shots, TZ= Twilight Zone, which is POP – TREY, two point jumpers from outside the paint, FBP = fast break points POTO= points off turnovers)

We had 32 PIP, 34 POP, 30 TREY, 4 TZ, 14 POTO, 4 FBP
They had 42 PIP, 12 POP, 6 TREY, 12 TZ, 20 POTO, 20 FBP

Fast Break Percentage
(FBP/(defensive rebounds + blocks + steals)

We scored 4 FBP in 37 opportunities (10.8%)
They scored 20 FBP in 47 opportunities (42.6%)

First Chance/Second Chance
(FCP is First Chance Points, which is total points - second chance points – fast break points – free throws made. SCP is second chance points.)

We had 51 FCP and 11 SCP
They had 26 FCP and 8 SCP

Starters/Bench
(Total points – bench points = starters points)

Our starters scored 81 points and our bench scored 5 points
Their starters scored 56 points and their bench scored 23 points

Assists
(The percentage of a team’s baskets that were assisted)

We assisted 15 of our 28 field goals = 53.6%
They assisted 20 of their 26 field goals = 76.9%

Team Offensive Efficiency
(Possessions: Field goals attempted - offensive rebounds + turnovers + 47.5% of free throws attempted. Efficiency is total points divided by possessions)

We scored 86 points in 79 possessions = 1.089 points/possession
They scored 79 points in 78 possessions = 1.013 points/ possession
It was a 157 possession game, 135 in regulation.

Breakdown by Quarters
(Points scored between the beginning of the game and the 10 minute mark of the first half, then halftime, then the 10 minute mark of the second half, the end of regulation and then overtime of there was one)

10-7, 14-21, 21-25, 27-16 OT: 17-10

Fouls
(Two point shots, points in paint and free throws attempted per times fouled.)
We attempted 46 two point shots, scored 32 points in the paint, attempted 28 free throws and were fouled 25 times = 1.84; 1.28; 1.12
They attempted 40 two point shots, scored 42 points in the paint, attempted 30 free throws and were fouled 5 times = 1.74; 1.83; 1.30

The refereeing was erratic but not biased.

Comments:

- Tyus Battle scored 29 points. Oshae Brissett scored 25. Frank Howard scored 19. But Oshae easily had the most “net points” because Frank had 7 turnovers and only 2 rebounds while Tyus’s floor game consisted of 3 rebounds, 3 fouls, 3 turnovers and one assist. Those 14 rebounds Oshae had meant more to the game than anything besides scoring that Frank and Tyus did.

- We have out-rebounded all 10 of our opponents and it’s not even close. We’ve gotten 42% of our misses to 25 % for our opponents. Because of this we are also 10-0 in “manufactured possessions”, (our rebs + their turnovers).

- We came into this game averaging a point for every offensive rebound. In this game were 11/19 = .579, our worst performance of the season.

- This was the first all season we had fewer unforced turnovers than the opposition.

- Points scored in unsettled situations, (offensive rebounds and turnovers) is usually a strong indicator of victory. Last year we were 18-7 when we won that stat and 1-8 when we didn’t. We had 3 fewer such points in this game, 25-28 but we had most unsettled situations, 35-25.

- It’s unusual to be out-shot by 39%-60% inside the arc and win. The fact that we have little inside scoring and they had Jessie Govan accounts for part of it. So does the fact that our big guys got into foul trouble. A third factor is this sad stat: We had only 4 fast break pints. They had 20.

- It’s pretty obvious why we won: We were 10 for 23 from three, (43.5%) while they were a dismal 2 for 17 (11.8%). That’s a difference of 24 points form the arc. It’s hard to overcome that gap in any area.

- I’ve created still another of my quirky stats. I wanted to see how often we ran a fast break when we had an opportunity to do so. To estimate that, (and it’s just an estimate), I decided that defensive rebounds, blocks and steaks are fast break opportunities. Obviously not every such occurrence is really a fast break opportunity. But that’s where they come from. Fast break points don’t precisely represent the number of opportunities as they come off made baskets, which will come from a two pointer, a three point shot or a three point play. But a lot of fast breaks results in missed shots and turnovers. So I decided the best thing I could was just divide the points scored by the number of plays that tend to produce fast breaks. It’s the closest we are going to get to seeing how often we and our opponents fast break from a box score. The gap in this game was huge: 10.8% to 42.6%. For the season it’s 13.9% -22.0%.

- Bench points in the last two games: 10-47. It’s not been typical: before that it was 114-76.

- A key to our success in this game is that we didn’t slow down and get cautious in the overtime, as often happens. We kept playing just as we had in the last 10 minutes of the game to tie it up. That allowed us to take the lead and win comfortably.

Steve, excellent work as usual. Just one gripe, could you give us some detail?

Steve, excellent work as usual. Just one gripe, could you give us some detail?

upload_2017-12-17_1-29-36.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom