Net Points, etc.- Oakland | Syracusefan.com

Net Points, etc.- Oakland

SWC75

Bored Historian
I’ve added so many things to my post-game “Net Points” posts over the years that it’s become a very long post to read and a longer one to do. I’ve decided to have separate posts for the numbers for a particular game and for the cumulative season totals. It’s the later that takes most of the time and lengthens the post so much. There was too much verbiage and too many numbers.

I’m still going to figure the season totals but I’ll post them at three different stages of the season: after the pre-conference schedule, after the conference schedule and after the post season. In the meantime, I’ll go with this stream-lined version of “Net Points, etc.” after each game, with numbers and commentary only for that game. That should make it both quicker to do and more digestible.

Net Points
(points + rebounds + assists + steals + blocks minus missed field goals and free throws, turnovers and personal fouls)

Paschal Chukwu 26NP in 31 minutes
Frank Howard 14NP in 30 minutes
Tyus Battle 14NP in 38 minutes
Oshae Brissett 11NP in 36 minutes
Marek Dolezaj 7NP in 25 minutes
Howard Washington 4NP in 4 minutes
Bourama Sidibe 4NP in 7 minutes
Geno Thorpe 3NP in 13 minutes
Matthew Moyer 1NP in 12 minutes

DNP coach’s decision
None

Injured or suspended
None

Awards

Offensive Dude of the Game, (O-Dog)
(Points plus assists)

Tyus Battle 25 + 0 = 25

Scoring Efficiency
(Points minus field goal and free throw attempts)

Tyus Battle 25 points – 8 mfg – 1 mft = 16

Sat Us Down
(Who scored the first SU basket of each half)

1st Half- Tyus Battle jumper 31 seconds in
2nd Half- Paschal Chukwu dunk 3:55 seconds in

TACO Bell MVP
(Who scored the point that got us to 70, which gets you free tacos with your ticket stub)

Frank Howard with a lay-up at 4:58 left

My Man
(Who played the most minutes?)

Tyus Battle 38 minutes

Team Stats:
(I’ve decide to put the team that won the stat in bold and ties in italics.)

POSSESSION

Rebounding
(Add each team’s offensive rebounds to their opponent’s defensive rebounds. Then figure the offensive rebounds as a percentage of that)

We rebounded 14 of our 38 misses = 36.8%
They rebounded 9 of their 43 misses = 20.9%

Effective Offensive Rebounding
(Divide second chance points by the offensive rebounds)

We got 16 points on 14 O-Rebs = 1.143 points/O-reb
They got 8 points on 9 O-Rebs = 0.889 points/ O-reb

Unforced Turnovers
(Total turnovers – the other team’s steals = unforced turnovers)
We had 15 turnovers – 5 steals = 10 unforced

They had 19 turnovers – 12 steals = 7 unforced

Points per Takeaway
(Points off turnovers divided by the number of turnovers the other team had)

We had 23 points from 19 takeaways =1.211 points/takeaway
They had 13 points from 15 takeaways = 0.867 points/takeaway

Unsettled Situations
(Effective offensive rebounding + Points per Takeaway: [Second Chance Point + Points off Turnovers] divided by [Offensive Rebounds + Opposition Turnovers)

We had 39 points in 33 unsettled situations = 1.182 points
They had 21 points in 24 unsettled situations = 0.875 points

Manufactured Possessions
(One teams rebounds + the other team’s turnovers)

We had 48 + 19 = 67
They had 33 + 15 = 48

Scoring

Shooting
(shots made and attempted and the percentage for two point goal attempts, three point attempts and free throws)

We were 28 for 56 on twos, (50.0%), 3 for 8 on threes (37.5%) and 9 for 18 on frees (50.0%)
They were 12 for 37 on twos, (32.4%), 6 for 22 on threes (27.3%) and 8 for 11 on frees (72.7%)

(PIP= points in the paint, POP = points outside the paint, which is total points – PIP –free throws made, TREY: points from three point shots, TZ= Twilight Zone, which is POP – TREY, two point jumpers from outside the paint, FBP = fast break points POTO= points off turnovers)

We had 40 PIP, 25 POP, 9 TREY, 16 TZ, 8 FBP, 23 POTO
They had 20 PIP, 22 POP, 18 TREY, 4 TZ, 4 FBP, 13 POTO

First Chance/Second Chance
(FCP is First Chance Points, which is total points - second chance points – fast break points – free throws made. SCP is second chance points.)

We had 41 FCP and 16 SCP
They had 30 FCP and 8 SCP

Starters/Bench
(Total points – bench points = starters points)

Our starters scored 68 points and our bench scored 6 points
Their starters scored 38 points and their bench scored 12 points

Assists
(The percentage of a team’s baskets that were assisted)

We assisted 13 of our 31 field goals = 41.9%
They assisted 12 of their 18 field goals = 66.7%

Team Offensive Efficiency
(Possessions: Field goals attempted - offensive rebounds + turnovers + 47.5% of free throws attempted. Efficiency is total points divided by possessions)

We scored 74 points in 74 possessions = 1.000 points/possession
They scored 50 points in 74 possessions = 0.676 points/ possession
It was a 148 possession game.

Breakdown by Quarters
(Points scored between the beginning of the game and the 10 minute mark of the first half, then halftime, then the 10 minute mark of the second half, the end of regulation and then overtime of there was one)

20-14. 19-11, 12-13, 23-12

Fouls
(Two point shots, points in paint and free throws attempted per times fouled.)

We attempted 56 two point shots, scored 40 points in the paint, attempted 18 free throws and were fouled 18 times = 3.11; 2.22; 1.00
They attempted 37 two point shots, scored 20 points in the paint, attempted 11 free throws and were fouled 17 times = 2.18; 1.18; 0.65

Oakland was more likely to draw a foul and to get to the line but Syracuse got more free throws per foul.

Comments:

- Who would ever have expected Paschal Chukwu to lead this team in net points 26, 12 more than anyone else? It was also important that he had the stamina to play 31 minutes and that he committed only two fouls. The latter is an indication that he understands his role and how to do things out there. Knowledge is power.

- We are now 38-6 in Twilight Zone points this year. We are 72-39 in points off turnovers and 140-88 in points in the paint. Those are tremendous differences.

- We also had 39 points in unsettled situations to 21, another big difference. I think Dolezaj is a big part of that.

- A 67 to 48 edge in manufactured possessions is huge.

- JB really wants this team to go inside. 56 of our 64 field goal attempts were two pointers (87.5%).

- We won big but only scored a point per possession. We won this game on defense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom