Net Points, etc. - Texas Southern | Syracusefan.com

Net Points, etc. - Texas Southern

SWC75

Bored Historian
I’ve added so many things to my post-game “Net Points” posts over the years that it’s become a very long post to read and a longer one to do. I’ve decided to have separate posts for the numbers for a particular game and for the cumulative season totals. It’s the later that takes most of the time and lengthens the post so much. There was too much verbiage and too many numbers.

I’m still going to figure the season totals but I’ll post them at three different stages of the season: after the pre-conference schedule, after the conference schedule and after the post season. In the meantime, I’ll go with this stream-lined version of “Net Points, etc.” after each game, with numbers and commentary only for that game. That should make it both quicker to do and more digestible.

Net Points
(points + rebounds + assists + steals + blocks minus missed field goals and free throws, turnovers and personal fouls)

Tyus Battle 22NP in 26 minutes
Marek Dolezaj 16NP in 32 minutes
Frank Howard 13NP in 30 minutes
Paschal Chukwu 8NP in 19 minutes
Bourama Sidibe 7NP in 21 minutes
Geno Thorpe 6NP in 21 minutes
Oshae Brissett 5NP in 30 minutes
Matthew Moyer 1NP in 15 minutes
Howard Washington -1NP in 6 minutes

DNP coach’s decision
None

Injured or suspended
None

Awards

Offensive Dude of the Game, (O-Dog)
(Points plus assists)

Tyus Battle 21 + 2 = 23

Scoring Efficiency
(Points minus field goal and free throw attempts)

Tyus Battle 21 points – 4 mfg – 0 mft = 17

Sat Us Down
(Who scored the first SU basket of each half)

1st Half- Tyus Battle trey 3:22 in
2nd Half- Tyus Battle trey 56 seconds in

TACO Bell MVP
(Who scored the point that got us to 70, which gets you free tacos with your ticket stub)

Frank Howard with a trey at 5:12 left

My Man
(Who played the most minutes?)

Marek Dolezaj 32 minutes

Team Stats:
(I’ve decided to put the team that won the stat in bold and ties in italics.)

POSSESSION

Rebounding
(Add each team’s offensive rebounds to their opponent’s defensive rebounds. Then figure the offensive rebounds as a percentage of that)

We rebounded 16 of our 37 misses = 43.2%

They rebounded 7 of their 31 misses = 22.6%

Effective Offensive Rebounding
(Divide second chance points by the offensive rebounds)

We got 16 points on 16 O-Rebs = 1.000 points/O-reb
They got 8 points on 7 O-Rebs = 1.143 points/ O-reb

Unforced Turnovers
(Total turnovers – the other team’s steals = unforced turnovers)

We had 10 turnovers – 5 steals = 5 unforced
They had 10 turnovers – 8 steals = 2 unforced

Points per Takeaway
(Points off turnovers divided by the number of turnovers the other team had)

We had 16 points from 10 takeaways =1.600 points/takeaway
They had 12 points from 10 takeaways = 1.200 points/takeaway

Unsettled Situations
(Effective offensive rebounding + Points per Takeaway: [Second Chance Point + Points off Turnovers] divided by [Offensive Rebounds + Opposition Turnovers)

We had 32 points in 26 unsettled situations = 1.231 points
They had 20 points in 17 unsettled situations = 1.176 points

Manufactured Possessions
(One teams rebounds + the other team’s turnovers)

We had 40 + 10 = 50
They had 28 + 10 = 38

Scoring

Shooting
(shots made and attempted and the percentage for two point goal attempts, three point attempts and free throws)

We were 18 for 33 on twos, (54.5%), 8 for 24 on threes (33.3%) and 20 for 30 on frees (66.7%)
They were 14 for 28 on twos, (50.0%), 8 for 21 on threes (38.1%) and 15 for 22 on frees (68.2%)

(PIP= points in the paint, POP = points outside the paint, which is total points – PIP –free throws made, TREY: points from three point shots, TZ= Twilight Zone, which is POP – TREY, two point jumpers from outside the paint, FBP = fast break points POTO= points off turnovers)

We had 34 PIP, 26 POP, 24 TREY, 2 TZ, 6 FBP, 16 POTO
They had 28 PIP, 24 POP, 24 TREY, 0 TZ, 4 FBP, 12 POTO

First Chance/Second Chance
(FCP is First Chance Points, which is total points - second chance points – fast break points – free throws made. SCP is second chance points.)

We had 38 FCP and 16 SCP
They had 40 FCP and 8 SCP

Starters/Bench
(Total points – bench points = starters points)

Our starters scored 46 points and our bench scored 34 points
Their starters scored 66 points and their bench scored 1 points

Assists
(The percentage of a team’s baskets that were assisted)

We assisted 21 of our 26 field goals = 80.8%
They assisted 16 of their 22 field goals = 72.7%

Team Offensive Efficiency
(Possessions: Field goals attempted - offensive rebounds + turnovers + 47.5% of free throws attempted. Efficiency is total points divided by possessions)

We scored 80 points in 64 possessions = 1.250 points/possession
They scored 67 points in 63 possessions = 1.063 points/ possession

It was a 127 possession game.

Breakdown by Quarters
(Points scored between the beginning of the game and the 10 minute mark of the first half, then halftime, then the 10 minute mark of the second half, the end of regulation and then overtime of there was one)

18-18, 20-12, 25-11, 17-26

Fouls
(Two point shots, points in paint and free throws attempted per times fouled.)

We attempted 33 two point shots, scored 34 points in the paint, attempted 30 free throws and were fouled 21 times = 1.57; 1.62; 1.43
They attempted 28 two point shots, scored 28 points in the paint, attempted 22 free throws and were fouled 19 times = 1.47; 1.47; 1.16

Texas Southern was more likely to draw a foul and to get to the line but Syracuse got more free throws per foul. The numbers weren’t way off each other.

Comments:

- Tyus Battle’s name seems to come up an awful lot.

- We’ve had three games and three different players have played the most minutes. Jim is still looking for his ‘man’, although I think battle has the inside track with Dolezaj not far behind.

- We are now 22-2 in Twilight Zone points this year. We are 49-26 in points off turnovers and 100-68 in points in the paint.

- Last season the stat of these that produced the most victories was ”starter’s points”. We were 18-3 when our starters outscored the other team’s starters and 1-11 when they didn’t. This year we are 3-0 in wins but 1-2 in starter’s scoring. Our bench has out-scored the other team’s benches 78-15.

- This is the first time we had a higher assist percentage than the opponent. We went from 46% in the Cornell game to 48% in the Iona game to 81% in this game. Some of that was that we shot the ball a bit better from outside but putting Dolezaj at the top of the key and working the offense through him was the big improvement. The thing is, if he can’t hit jumps shots from there, eventually they’ll stop guarding him and guard the other guys 5 on 4 and the assist rate might go down again.

Moyer seems to have only one way to contribute, and that is rebounding. As long as others can rebound, despite their physical disadvantage, along with contributing in other facets, Moyer's minutes should decline. When the big boys come we may need his interior play. His skill set is not what I had expected given his success in Ohio. I wonder if Moyer is an example of a kid that physically matured before his peers such that as a big man he was overranked.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom