Net Points Etc | Syracusefan.com

Net Points Etc

SWC75

Bored Historian
Take all the positives: points, rebounds, assists, steals and blocks and subtract the negatives: missed field goals, miss free throws, turnovers and fouls. The result is “Net Points.” (NP). M = minutes.

Brandon Triche 2NP in 25M vs. Villanova, 24NP in 38M vs. Louisville, 10NP in 36M vs. Cincinnati Total: 36NP in 99M

season: +218NP in 604M per 40M: +14.4NP

James Southerland Did not play vs. Villanova, Louisville and Cincinnati

season: +207NP in 382M per 40M: +21.7NP

CJ Fair 23NP in 38 vs. Villanova, 8NP in 40M vs. Louisville, 12NP in 40M vs. Cincinnati Total: 43NP in 118M

season: +271NP in 604M per 40M: +17.9NP

Michael Carter-Williams 7NP in 38M vs. Villanova, 10NP in 38M vs. Louisville, 20NP in 36M Total: 37NP in 112M

season: +309NP in 639M per 40M: +19.3NP

Rakeem Christmas 4NP in 33M vs. Villanova, 6NP in 16M vs. Louisville, 3NP in 13M vs. Cincinnati Total: 13NP in 62M

season: +175NP in 402M per 40M: +17.4NP

Jerami Grant 15NP in 29M vs. Villanova, 6NP in 35M vs. Louisville, 6NP in 28M Total: 27NP in 92M

season: +79NP in 271M per 40M: +11.7NP

Baye Moussa Keita 0NP in 5M vs. Villanova, 6NP in 19M vs. Louisville, 4NP in 22M vs. Cincinnati Total: 4NP in 46M

season: +104NP in 279M per 40M: +14.9NP

DaJuan Coleman 3NP in 15M vs. Villanova, 1NP in 10M vs. Louisville, 0NP in 7M vs. Cincinnati Total: 4NP in 32M

season: +85NP in 272M per 40M: +12.5NP

Trevor Cooney 2NP in 17M vs. Villanova, 2NP in 4M vs. Louisville, 7NP in 18M vs. Cincinnati Total: 11NP in 39M

season: +60NP in 254M per 40M: +9.4NP

Comment: Fair led the way in the three games, with Carter-Williams just behind him despite the problems vs. Louisville. But Triche was actually the most productive per minute with 36NP in 81 minutes. Jerami Grant’s 27NP in these three games represented 34% of his season’s total.

The following players have lead, (or tied for the lead), the team in “net points” in games this year: Michael Carter-Williams 7, CJ Fair 6, Brandon Triche 4, James Southerland 2, Trevor Cooney 1

Shooting Breakdown:

Vs. Villanova, SU was18/41, (.439) from inside the arc, 4/14 from outside, (.286) and 24/30 from the line (.800). Villanova was 12/31 (.387) from inside the arc, 5/23, (.217) from outside, and 22/28, (.786) from the line. 11 of our 22 baskets were assisted, (50%), vs. 10 of Villanova‘s 17, (59%).

Vs. Louisville SU was 17/34, (.500) from inside the arc, 7/15 from outside, (.467) and 15/20 from the line (.750). Louisville was 17/39 (.436) from inside the arc, 7/20, (.350) from outside, and 13/20, (.650), from the line. 11 of our 24 baskets were assisted, (46%), vs. 17 of Louisville‘s 24, (71%).

V.s Cincinnati SU was 17/32, (.531) from inside the arc, 6/18 from outside, (.333) and 5/7 from the line (.714). Cincinnati was 8/23 (.348) from inside the arc, 10/32, (.313) from outside, and 9/10, (.900), from the line. 11 of our 23 baskets were assisted, (48%), vs. 13 of Villanova‘s 18, (72%).

For the season we are .515/.326/.664 and our opponents are .405/.282/.695.

POP: I’ll credit the Axeman for naming this. A common stat is “points in the paint”. But what about the points outside the paint? The game gets a lot harder if you have to plow through the defense to get to the basket to score. Jump shots, (and not just three pointers), are an important part of any team’s offense. You can’t rely on them too much as they are the most inconsistent part of the game but you have to have the capacity to score over the defense or else you are likely to struggle. The formula is simple: Total points minus points in the paint minus free throws.

Vs. Villanova We scored 72 points, 32 in the paint and 24 from the foul line. Thus we had 16 POP, or 22% of our points. Villanova had 19 POP, or 31%.

Vs. Louisville We scored 70 points, 30 in the paint and 15 from the foul line. Thus we had 25 POP, or 36% of our points. Louisville had 27 POP, or 40%

Vs. Cincinnati We scored 57 points, 24 in the paint and 5 from the foul line. Thus we had 28 POP, or 49% of our points. Cincinnati had 32 POP, or 58% (Neither team was doing much business inside.)

We averaged 28 POP last year, 33% of our points. So far this year we are again averaging 24 POP, 31% of our scoring. Our opponents have averaged 23 POP, but that’s been 40% of their scoring.

The “Offensive Dude of the Game”, (points + assists):

Vs. Villanova was CJ Fair with 22 points and 1 assists for a total of 23.

Vs. Louisville was Brandon Triche with 23 points and 2 assists for a total of 25

Vs. Cincinnati was Michael Carter-Williams with 16 points 7 assists for a total of 23

So far the following players have been “Offensive Dudes”: Michael Carter-Williams (9), CJ Fair and Brandon Triche (4) and James Southerland (3).

Possession:

Vs. Villanova: Syracuse had 13 offensive and 21 defensive rebounds. Villanova had 18 offensive and 22 defensive rebounds. That means that when we missed, we got the rebound 37% of the time. When they missed, they got the rebound 46% of the time.

Vs. Louisville: Syracuse had 12 offensive and 24 defensive rebounds. Louisville had 14 offensive and 17 defensive rebounds. That means that when we missed, we got the rebound 41% of the time. When they missed, they got the rebound 37% of the time.

Vs. Cincinnati: Syracuse had 7 offensive and 21 defensive rebounds. Cincinnati had 16 offensive and 22 defensive rebounds. That means that when we missed, we got the rebound 24% of the time. When they missed, they got the rebound 43% of the time.

For the year we have rebounded 42% of our misses and the opposition have rebounded 32% of theirs. We’ve out-rebounded 13 of 19 opponents by this measure.

Villanova had 16 turnovers, of which 8 were Syracuse steals, (50%). Syracuse had 10 turnovers of which 4 were Villanova steals, (40%).

Louisville had 17 turnovers, of which 5 were Syracuse steals, (29%). Syracuse had 15 turnovers of which 12 were Louisville steals, (80%).

Cincinnati had 10 turnovers, of which 7 were Syracuse steals, (70%). Syracuse had 6 turnovers of which 2 were Villanova steals, (33%).

Vs. Villanova: We had 50 “manufactured” possessions, (our rebounds + their turnovers). Villanova had 50.

Vs. Louisville: We had 45 “manufactured” possessions, (our rebounds + their turnovers). Villanova had 47.

Vs. Cincinnati: We had 38 “manufactured” possessions, (our rebounds + their turnovers). Villanova had 44.

We are an average of +12 MP for the year.

And, thanks to Blacksquirrels and Knicks411, I now understand how to compute “points per possession, (field goal attempts – offensive rebounds + turnovers plus 47.5% of free throws attempted) and here they are:

Syracuse:

Vs. Villanova: 55 FGA minus 13 offensive rebounds plus 10 turnovers plus 47.5% of 30 free throws = 66.25 possessions. The possessions can’t be more than one off so I’ll call that 66 possessions in which we scored 72 points or 1.091 points per possession.

Vs. Louisville: 49 FGA minus 12 offensive rebounds plus 16 turnovers plus 47.5% of 20 free throws = 62.5 possessions. The possessions can’t be more than one off so I’ll call that 63 possessions in which we scored 70 points or 1.111 points per possession.

Vs. Cincinnati: 50 FGA minus 7 offensive rebounds plus 6 turnovers plus 47.5% of 7 free throws = 52.325 possessions. The possessions can’t be more than one off so I’ll call that 52 possessions in which we scored 57 points or 1.096 points per possession.

We are 1.108 on the season. Last season it was 1.126.

The Oppostion:

Vs. Villanova: 54-18+16 plus 47.5% of 28 = 65.3 possessions. Let’s call that 65 possessions, (so we won’t be more than one off) in which they scored 54 points or 0.938 points per possession.

Vs. Louisville: 59-14+9 plus 47.5% of 20 = 63.5 possessions. Let’s call that 63 possessions, (so we won’t be more than one off) in which they scored 68 points or 1.079 points per possession.

Vs. Cincinnati: 55-16+10 plus 47.5% of 10 = 53.75 possessions. Let’s call that 53 possessions, (so we won’t be more than one off) in which they scored 55 points or 1.038 points per possession.

The opposition is 0.843 on the season. Last season it was 0.830.

I decided it should be a goal to score at least 15 points in every 10 minute “quarter” of the game, (college is the only level that doesn’t have quarters). You want to score more than that, of course, but if we can avoid falling under 15 in any ten minute period we should have a good scoring average because we’ll have 20 and 25 point quarters as well. The “quarterly” splits in these games were:

Vs. Villanova: 8-8, 19-21, 19-14, 26-18

Vs. Louisville: 18-19, 20-19, 14-14, 18-16

Vs. Cincinnati: 12-9, 10-9, 16-20, 19-17

For the year, the average score per quarter is 18-14, 19-12, 20-15, 20-16. Last year the averages per quarter were: 19-13, 19-12, 21-14, 22-16. We’ve missed the 15 point mark 14 times in 76 quarters this year, and lost 16.

For fun I’ve decided to add another stat. We picked up the tradition of standing and clapping before SU’s first basket of each half from New Mexico after one of Coach Boeheim’s favorite early victories back in the 70’s. I wondered which player had done the best job of “sitting us down”: who scored the first field goal of each half? I decided to include road games.

Vs. Villanova, it was DaJuan Coleman and CJ. Fair

Vs. Louisville, is was Rakeem Christmas and Baye Moussa Keita

Vs. Cincinnati, it was Brandon triche and CJ Fair

For the season, CJ Fair has “sat us down” 9 times, Rakeem Christmas 8 times, Michael Carter-Williams 7 times, DaJuan Coleman 6 times, Brandon Triche 4 times, James Southerland 2 times and Baye Moussa Keita and Trevor Cooney 1 time each. (Obviously, when a non-starter sits us down, it took a while.)

Great post -- as always.

The line for Brandon Triche should be fixed. He played 36 mins against Cincy.

Can't capture everything in these stats. Examples: Tight defense that prevents an opposing guard from getting into the lane and forces a bad shot; or whether or not you block the opposing forward from getting inside position; whether you get out on the opposing team's best 3 point shooter, or leave him wide open. If you get the rebound it counts; if you don't prevent a put-back, it isn't reflected at all. If you get back and defend a fast break, or don't get back, no net points either way.

Many of the things that JB wants from his centers on defense (good positioning to prevent easy inside shots) won't show up -- unless it is reflected in blocks or tough rebounds.

Great post -- as always.

The line for Brandon Triche should be fixed. He played 36 mins against Cincy.

Can't capture everything in these stats. Examples: Tight defense that prevents an opposing guard from getting into the lane and forces a bad shot; or whether or not you block the opposing forward from getting inside position; whether you get out on the opposing team's best 3 point shooter, or leave him wide open. If you get the rebound it counts; if you don't prevent a put-back, it isn't reflected at all. If you get back and defend a fast break, or don't get back, no net points either way.

Many of the things that JB wants from his centers on defense (good positioning to prevent easy inside shots) won't show up -- unless it is reflected in blocks or tough rebounds.

I'll fix Triche's number. There are, indeed, many things that aren't reflected in the numbers. I'm just looking for what the numbers can tell us. It's my experience that the players who put up the best numbers usually will do the things that don't show up in the box score well, too. But there are exceptions, (see the recent discussion on Craig Forth).

I'll fix Triche's number. There are, indeed, many things that aren't reflected in the numbers. I'm just looking for what the numbers can tell us. It's my experience that the players who put up the best numbers usually will do the things that don't show up in the box score well, too. But there are exceptions, (see the recent discussion on Craig Forth).
I am not knocking what the numbers show -- lots of value to what you put together and you can project from that and be right in many cases.

But you won't see from the net points why DC2 and Rak sit in favor of Keita, who is better at shutting off and discouraging inside offense. So something gets missed.

You also won't see why one of the guards or forwards gets pulled for giving up open shots.

Maybe you can add a stat that is the opposite of assists? Defenses lapses that led to easy shots?

SWC75...great to have you on board...and back providing the data we all cherish and like to discuss...it has been determined that by majority vote, you too have been invited to the stealth side...or as we truth seekers have defined as the payside. You will no longer have to be concerned about your computer...we will take care of it...did you destroy your hard drive yet?

SWC75...great to have you on board...and back providing the data we all cherish and like to discuss...it has been determined that by majority vote, you too have been invited to the stealth side...or as we truth seekers have defined as the payside. You will no longer have to be concerned about your computer...we will take care of it...did you destroy your hard drive yet?

I called about it and the computer was already gone to the recycler. I asked if the hard drive was destroyed and was told "They usually do that." My first computer got recycled, (the second is upstairs) and I didn't ask for the hard drive and nothing bad happened. I don't do on-line banking so I'm not sure what would be on there that anybody would care about.

I am not knocking what the numbers show -- lots of value to what you put together and you can project from that and be right in many cases.

But you won't see from the net points why DC2 and Rak sit in favor of Keita, who is better at shutting off and discouraging inside offense. So something gets missed.

You also won't see why one of the guards or forwards gets pulled for giving up open shots.

Maybe you can add a stat that is the opposite of assists? Defenses lapses that led to easy shots?

If they put it in the box score, I'll add it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom