Class of 2025 - New Commit: Joe Filardi (NY: Half Hollow Hills West) Defense (9/19/23) | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2025 New Commit: Joe Filardi (NY: Half Hollow Hills West) Defense (9/19/23)

IMG_5978.jpeg

I think Scott Schwedes was the last guy who tried to do both, but he wasn't a LAX starter.

Filardi's primary focus will be on lacrosse, where he is one of Long Island's most coveted recruits.

"I committed here for lacrosse in the fall because of the great coaching staff and the way lacrosse is so valued here," Filardi said. "I felt it was the best fit for me and my family not being so far from home."

Filardi's primary focus will be on lacrosse, where he is one of Long Island's most coveted recruits.

"I committed here for lacrosse in the fall because of the great coaching staff and the way lacrosse is so valued here," Filardi said. "I felt it was the best fit for me and my family not being so far from home."

Nice job by Fran to be ok with this and avoid SU losing a 5 star lax guy. Playing qb at this level is very difficult but this kid can definitely play lax and if he wants to give fball a go, more power to him

Nice job by Fran to be ok with this and avoid SU losing a 5 star lax guy. Playing qb at this level is very difficult but this kid can definitely play lax and if he wants to give fball a go, more power to him

If Fran is ok with him missing Spring FB, and Gait/Odierna are OK with him missing Fall LAX, I'll allow it.

Yes, lots of other players have proven it's possible to toggle between two sports in college, especially football and lacrosse. Jordan Faison is doing it now for Notre Dame, their top recruit Matt Jeffery is apparently going to do it as well next year, Dante Trader did it for a year, Xavier Arline does it for Navy, Will Yeatman for Notre Dame and Maryland back in the day, etc.

The big question for me, is - is it possible to do it as a quarterback? Arline does it for Navy, but he runs a wishbone/run heavy offense that isn't as advanced as a pro-style look the Orange will use. Arline does have to go through the Navy academy so, not trying to say he's got anything "easy", but we haven't really seen a high performing QB do it, and dedicate time to the lacrosse field. Perhaps Filardi is just excited to be on a DI football team.

Either way good for him, and great to see this synergy between the two programs.

Yes, lots of other players have proven it's possible to toggle between two sports in college, especially football and lacrosse. Jordan Faison is doing it now for Notre Dame, their top recruit Matt Jeffery is apparently going to do it as well next year, Dante Trader did it for a year, Xavier Arline does it for Navy, Will Yeatman for Notre Dame and Maryland back in the day, etc.

The big question for me, is - is it possible to do it as a quarterback? Arline does it for Navy, but he runs a wishbone/run heavy offense that isn't as advanced as a pro-style look the Orange will use. Arline does have to go through the Navy academy so, not trying to say he's got anything "easy", but we haven't really seen a high performing QB do it, and dedicate time to the lacrosse field. Perhaps Filardi is just excited to be on a DI football team.

Either way good for him, and great to see this synergy between the two programs.

Good question. My thought is it's possible but ma it's a lot of work. You saw Dante Trader essentially give up lax to concentrate on fball and as good as Faison looks he hasn't hit the grind of both sports yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom