Class of 2026 - New Commit: Nick Rayfield (NY: Marcellus) Midfield (9/8/24) | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2026 New Commit: Nick Rayfield (NY: Marcellus) Midfield (9/8/24)

Nick,

Welcome to
IMG_2102.jpeg

Very happy to get Rayfield. Need all the athletes we can get. I still feel like every other ACC school tends to look more athletic than us. This kid flys around.

Would love to make it 2 for 2 at Cellus and bring in Chris Doshna.

This is a big time pick up. I was hoping we’d have a shot to keep him home with his older brother Adam a frosh for Siena Lax. Makes it easy on the parents. Really hoping we can add Doshna as well. Big, physical two-handed compliment to Rayfield’s speed & quickness.

Looks great in the highlights. Great that he has potential as a two way /wing player. Super speedy and some aspects of his stick skills have me thinking he has played some box at that new place in Marcellus. So clutch we have some high end local talent returning to the dome.

I was really impressed with the way he shoots the ball, lots of corners being obliterated. The way he can go low to high and change the planes on his shots is really something, even when he only has the ball in his stick a few seconds. Plus multiple release points was encouraging, especially his side arm shot. He always seems to be moving on those high light tapes, the phrase "all gas, no brakes" comes to mind.

I don't think making player comparisons is always fair and appropriate, but I got some very heavy Jake Stevens vibes watching him (you might be onto something with the box connection). Plus he seems to do very well in the two-man game which is something Syracuse likes to do a lot of. Just seems like a very good fit. Very happy with this pick up.

Real nice get in Rayfield, was hoping he would commit early as he was someone I wanted Cuse to lock down. As has been noted is a very versatile player with his ability to play O and D and is still just scratching the surface, kid has a very high ceiling.

The article says he also considered Notre Dame, Rutgers and Loyola but was swayed by the chance to stay at home and the SU program's history of success. His coach Collin Donahue said "They're going to be lucky to have him. The way that he has kind of pushed himself the last couple of years, he's definitely going to be a player where he puts himself in position to make an impact. He's a relentless worker." Donahue also said his free-wheeling ability in hockey makes him a good match for Gary Gait's peferred style of allowing his players to be creative. Rayfield has "that hockey, free-flowing mentality" he said.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom