New Commit | Syracusefan.com

New Commit

Thank you DCCuse...

Malcolm Howard, 6'3" 215lb Juco OLB at Navarro JC (high school Yates HS in Houston, TX) LINK

This article sez he is a late add

http://duke.At their request, this network is being blocked from this site./2/1277382.html

Malcolm Howard became Syracuse's seventh junior college player and third JUCO linebacker in Scott Shafer's class of 2013. (Photo by Frank Ordoñez | The Post-Standard)
By Chris Carlson | ccarlson@syracuse.com
on March 25, 2013 at 4:38 PM, updated March 25, 2013 at 4:39 PM

In two years, Malcom Howard worked his way from a junior college walk-on to a Division I scholarship.
The 6-foot-3, 215-pound outside linebacker gave a verbal commitment to Syracuse over the weekend and will join Syracuse's class of 2013. He has two seasons of eligibility remaining and can use a redshirt year.
"He's a great kid, the type you want in your program," his junior college coach, Brian Mayper, said. "He did a super job. He had good size, good speed, a nose for the football. He's just an overall solid player. (In) the junior colleges down here there's just so many linebackers, he got a little overlooked."
Despite paying his way at Navarro College (Corsicana, Texas), Howard said he had no doubt he'd eventually earn a Division I scholarship.
"That was the plan, man," Howard said. "I had the most positive belief in myself. I knew I worked too hard for it not to happen. It wouldn't have been possible for it not to happen with how hard I worked. I was working harder than the guys who were on scholarship."
Howard said Syracuse coaches told him they envision him staying at outside linebacker. He was recruited by new Syracuse director of recruiting operations Eric White and made his official visit over the weekend. It was his only official visit.
During the visit he took a tour of the school's football facilities and campus, watched practice and sat in on defensive meetings.
"It was just how I pictured it," Howard said. "The practice facilities, how the school looks, it was nice."
Howard had offers from FCS and Division II schools, and Mayper said he'd received interest from Kansas, Kent State and a handful of other Division I programs. In the five games in which defensive stats were kept for Navarro, he had 25 tackles and two sacks.
Navarro's linebacker rotation, along with an incredible crop of defensive linemen, kept Howard's numbers from being more impressive. Mayper said two defensive linemen were Division I commitments (Marshall and Baylor), one was a preseason All-American and the other would have been D-I worthy if his grades had been better.
"Those guys soaked up a lot of the tackles," Mayper said.
Mayper said Howard was used primarily in the box at Navarro, though he did have some experience covering tight ends and slot receivers. He also played on special teams.
Mayper said Howard is physically ready for college football right now and his ability to compete for playing time right away hinged on how quickly he learned SU's system.
Howard said coaches told him he'd compete for playing time immediately.
His junior college coach cautioned against assuming Howard's walk-on status at a junior college was a knock against his potential.
"We had a running back (William Powell) who was a walk-on and started for the (Arizona) Cardinals last year," Mayper said.
Navarro finished the year 10-2 and was ranked the No. 4 junior college in the country by National Junior College Athletic Association (it's a a traditional JUCO power). Howard is the seventh junior college player and third junior college linebacker in SU's class of 2013.
Howard said he believes he could have signed with a college out of high school but he took the ACTs late. He was a first-team All-District linebacker for Yates High School (Houston).
Said Mayper: "He was always where I needed him to be."

Hey guys, I'm new here. Probably isn't the place to introduce myself but I'm from Winnipeg,Manitoba,Canada and I decided to sign up on here! Orange Nation!

Welcome.

Hey guys, I'm new here. Probably isn't the place to introduce myself but I'm from Winnipeg,Manitoba,Canada and I decided to sign up on here! Orange Nation!
More Canadian content... excellent.

We'll start an esoteric OT hockey thread in May.

You have any connection to Piasecki?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom