New Playoff Format | Syracusefan.com

New Playoff Format

So Notre Dame is one step closer to full ACC membership? And big least is done?

So Notre Dame is one step closer to full ACC membership? And big least is done?

I wouldn't say the BE is done. If Boise or Louisville or whoever won their conference championship game and ended up ranked higher than their counterparts in the MWC, ConUSA, etc. they would have entre into one of the access bowls. I'd like to see the fine print, however, to see if there is also a requirement that they be ranked in the top 20/25. Otherwise, you could see a #32 BE champ taking a bowl spot away from a #12 ranked team from the Power5. Kind of like UCONN at the Fiesta Bowl, which I was hoping this new format would eliminate in the future.

I wouldn't say the BE is done. If Boise or Louisville or whoever won their conference championship game and ended up ranked higher than their counterparts in the MWC, ConUSA, etc. they would have entre into one of the access bowls. I'd like to see the fine print, however, to see if there is also a requirement that they be ranked in the top 20/25. Otherwise, you could see a #32 BE champ taking a bowl spot away from a #12 ranked team from the Power5. Kind of like UCONN at the Fiesta Bowl, which I was hoping this new format would eliminate in the future.

I think for anti-trust purposes they'd be cool with letting the highest-ranked of the 'Group of 5' in regardless of their overall ranking. Practically speaking it'll almost certainly be a school ranked in the top 15/20. And pragmatically speaking, there are now 7 at-large spots. Sacrificing one so as not to get hauled in front of Congress is a fair trade.

I hope he means 6 Bowls in total of which 4 are access and 2 are playoff. Also the Group of 5 getting an auto bid sucks for the P12, B12, and ACC. Makes it very hard to get another team in. That locks up 7 of 8 Bowl slots every year. The Fiesta might as well lock up the highest remaining P12/B12 team to face the Group of 5 winner. Which means the ACC is clearly #5 of the big boys.

Rose/Cotton B1G vs P12
Sugar/Chic B12 vs SEC
Orange/Chic ACC vs B1G/ND/SEC
Fiesta/Cotton Group of 5 vs ?

Rose/Cotton/Fiesta Playoff Game
Sugar/Orange/Chic Playoff Game

NCG TBD

Gonna make it hard to recruit in the BE. Hey come here and you can possibly win the division then possibly win the CCG then possibly be ranked higher than the other 4 non auto bid conferences and possibly go play in Arizona or Dallas in the 6th most important Bowl game.

If season ended today and that format was in place:

#1 vs #4 Bowl: K St vs Bama
#2 vs #3 Bowl: Oregon vs ND
B1G vs P12 Bowl: Nebraska vs Stanford
B12 vs SEC Bowl: Oklahoma vs UGA
ACC vs B1G/ND/SEC Bowl: FSU vs LSU
Group of 5 vs ? Bowl: Louisville (who barely edges out LA Tech) vs Florida/Texas (depending if at large or tied in)

Wow did the SEC pull one over on every one else. Before there were 5 major Bowls and the SEC could only put 2 teams in (20%). Now there are 6 Bowls and the SEC could in theory have 7 teams in (over 50%).

Side note: didn't realize this but the SEC has numbers 4-9 in the BCS standings. That is crazy.

Based on last year:

LSU vs Oregon
Bama vs Okie St
Stanford vs Wiscy
Arkansas vs K St
Clemson vs Michigan (SEC gets screwed as the Bowl would not want a rematch vs South Carolina)
Boise St vs South Carolina or Oklahoma

Here's how I see it developing with what we know so far about the Football Final Four and Event Bowls:

Contract Bowls:
Rose - Pac-12/Big Ten
Sugar - SEC/Big 12
Orange - ACC vs ND or SEC/Big Ten #2 or 3

Host Bowls:
To be determined by the Selection Committee
Peach
Fiesta
Cotton

Likely Playoff Pairs:
Rose/Peach
Sugar/Fiesta
Orange/Cotton

When Rose is a semi-final game:
If Pac-12/Big Ten champion doesn't make FFF then one or both of their champions likely goes to the Fiesta.

When Sugar is a semi-final game:
If SEC/Big 12 champion doesn't make FFF then one or both of their champions likely goes to the Cotton

When Orange is a semi-final game:
If ACC champion doesn't make FFF then it goes to the Peach

Cheers,
Neil

I hope he means 6 Bowls in total of which 4 are access and 2 are playoff. Also the Group of 5 getting an auto bid sucks for the P12, B12, and ACC. Makes it very hard to get another team in. That locks up 7 of 8 Bowl slots every year. The Fiesta might as well lock up the highest remaining P12/B12 team to face the Group of 5 winner. Which means the ACC is clearly #5 of the big boys.

Rose/Cotton B1G vs P12
Sugar/Chic B12 vs SEC
Orange/Chic ACC vs B1G/ND/SEC
Fiesta/Cotton Group of 5 vs ?

Rose/Cotton/Fiesta Playoff Game
Sugar/Orange/Chic Playoff Game

NCG TBD

Gonna make it hard to recruit in the BE. Hey come here and you can possibly win the division then possibly win the CCG then possibly be ranked higher than the other 4 non auto bid conferences and possibly go play in Arizona or Dallas in the 6th most important Bowl game.

As I read it, there are only three Contract bowls. And it is only a "displaced champion(s)" of a P5 conference that gets to go to now what is being called a "Host Bowl".

Cheers,
Neil

If season ended today and that format was in place:

#1 vs #4 Bowl: K St vs Bama
#2 vs #3 Bowl: Oregon vs ND
B1G vs P12 Bowl: Nebraska vs Stanford
B12 vs SEC Bowl: Oklahoma vs UGA
ACC vs B1G/ND/SEC Bowl: FSU vs LSU
Group of 5 vs ? Bowl: Louisville (who barely edges out LA Tech) vs Florida/Texas (depending if at large or tied in)

Wow did the SEC pull one over on every one else. Before there were 5 major Bowls and the SEC could only put 2 teams in (20%). Now there are 6 Bowls and the SEC could in theory have 7 teams in (over 50%).

Side note: didn't realize this but the SEC has numbers 4-9 in the BCS standings. That is crazy.

Based on last year:

LSU vs Oregon
Bama vs Okie St
Stanford vs Wiscy
Arkansas vs K St
Clemson vs Michigan (SEC gets screwed as the Bowl would not want a rematch vs South Carolina)
Boise St vs South Carolina or Oklahoma

Again, we also need to know which of the Contract Bowls is in the semi-final rotation. But as I see it:

If Rose/Peach the playoff pair then:

Peach - KSU/Ala
Rose - Oregon/ND

Sugar - will still be SEC/Big 12 match-up, so let's assume LSU vs Oklahoma
Orange - FSU vs. A&M
Fiesta - Nebraska vs Selection Committe at-large pick
Cotton - G5 champion vs Selection Committee at-large pick

Cheers,
Neil

Again, we also need to know which of the Contract Bowls is in the semi-final rotation. But as I see it:

If Rose/Peach the playoff pair then:

Peach - KSU/Ala
Rose - Oregon/ND

Sugar - will still be SEC/Big 12 match-up, so let's assume LSU vs Oklahoma
Orange - FSU vs. A&M
Fiesta - Nebraska vs Selection Committe at-large pick
Cotton - G5 champion vs Selection Committee at-large pick

Cheers,
Neil

I believe they made it that the B1G will always play the P12. Either Champ vs Champ, Champ vs #2, or #2 vs #2, even if Rose hosts a Final Four game. Why would the B1G/P12 agree to that and get punished while the SEC/B12 get to have #2s play in the Sugar?

As to $$$$ and how I read some of the fine print as to what happens when the Sugar or Rose Bowl are semi final games, the conference payouts favor:

SEC/Big10

Pac10/Big12/ACC

Lil 5

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

G5. It's already picking up on twitter. A simple way to refer to everyone who isn't at the big boy table.. Like it.

This is officially the point where they need to eliminate FCS games, or make them not count. Because certain G5 schools will schedule so far down just to have a better chance of being the survivor.

I think for anti-trust purposes they'd be cool with letting the highest-ranked of the 'Group of 5' in regardless of their overall ranking. Practically speaking it'll almost certainly be a school ranked in the top 15/20. And pragmatically speaking, there are now 7 at-large spots. Sacrificing one so as not to get hauled in front of Congress is a fair trade.

Exactly

I believe they made it that the B1G will always play the P12. Either Champ vs Champ, Champ vs #2, or #2 vs #2, even if Rose hosts a Final Four game. Why would the B1G/P12 agree to that and get punished while the SEC/B12 get to have #2s play in the Sugar?

Disagree. It works a different way then shown if Sugar/Fiesta are the semi-final games:

Sugar - KSU/Ala
Fiesta - Oregon/ND

Rose - Nebraska vs a Pac-12 team (likely Stanford)
Orange - FSU vs A&M
Peach - G5 champ vs Selection Committee pick (possibly Georgia or LSU)
Cotton - Selection Committee at-large pick vs Selection Committee at-large pick.

Cheers,
Neil

Disagree. It works a different way then shown if Sugar/Fiesta are the semi-final games:

Sugar - KSU/Ala
Fiesta - Oregon/ND

Rose - Nebraska vs a Pac-12 team (likely Stanford)
Orange - FSU vs A&M
Peach - G5 champ vs Selection Committee pick (possibly Georgia or LSU)
Cotton - Selection Committee at-large pick vs Selection Committee at-large pick.

Cheers,
Neil

If that is the case then the SEC pulled one over on everyone else. This new deals benefits in order:

1. SEC Champ
2. SEC West #2
3. SEC East winner
4. B1G
5. B12
6. P12
7. ACC
8. Big East
9. MWC
10. CUSA
11. MAC
12. Sunbelt

BTW what happens to BYU? Are they included as a G5 team?

G5. It's already picking up on twitter. A simple way to refer to everyone who isn't at the big boy table.. Like it.

This is officially the point where they need to eliminate FCS games, or make them not count. Because certain G5 schools will schedule so far down just to have a better chance of being the survivor.

"Certain G5 schools."

Is that code for "Rutgirls?"

If I am Boise State or San Diego State I leverage the Big East as much as I can now and demand full membership for the basketball teams as they can go back to MWC or WAC and still have access to the 6th slot. The BE depends on the perceived strength of being the best of the land of misfit toys. If SDSU and Boise St left the conference good luck being the top group of five conference team year in year out.

If that is the case then the SEC pulled one over on everyone else. This new deals benefits in order:

1. SEC Champ
2. SEC West #2
3. SEC East winner
4. B1G
5. B12
6. P12
7. ACC
8. Big East
9. MWC
10. CUSA
11. MAC
12. Sunbelt

BTW what happens to BYU? Are they included as a G5 team?

If one assumes college football will remain exactly the way it is now through 2014-2025, then yes, the SEC is the big winner and some would argue should be. But who the runner-up winner after them is still up for discussion:

Using last year as the basis, here is how I think it would have likely played out:

If Rose/Peach semi-finals:

Rose - LSU vs Oregon
Peach - Ala vs Okla State

Sugar - Arkansas vs KSU (Sugar picks)
Orange - Clemson (ACC champ) vs Michigan (keep in mind this is the Orange's pick not the Selection Committee's at-large pick)
Fiesta - Wisconsin (displaced Big Ten champion) vs Stanford (Selection Committee at-large pick)
Cotton - Boise State vs South Carolina

If Sugar/Fiesta semi-finals:

Sugar - LSU (SEC Champ) vs Oregon (Pac-12 Champ)
Fiesta - Ala vs Oka State (Big 12 Champ)

Rose - Wisconsin (Big Ten champ) vs Stanford (Rose's picks)
Orange - Clemson (ACC champ) vs Arkansas (Orange's pick)
Peach - South Carolina vs VT (argument could be made for Baylor or Oklahoma here as well) with both teams being Selection Committee picks but VT gets the nod
Cotton - Boise State (G5 champ) vs KSU (Selection Committee at-large pick)

If Orange/Cotton semi-finals:

Orange - LSU vs Oregon
Cotton - Ala vs Okla State

Rose - Wisconsin (Big Ten Champ) vs Stanford (Rose's pick)
Sugar - Arkansas vs KSU
Peach - Clemson (displaced ACC Champ) vs Baylor (Selection Committee Pick)
Fiesta - Boise State (G5 champ) vs South Carolina

So in each of the above scenarios the SEC gets 4 teams out of 12 spots, the Big 12 gets 2 teams in 2 scenarios and likely 3 teams in with the third scenario, while in all three scenarios the Pac-12 gets 2 teams in. Big Ten and ACC get only 1 team in two scenarios and 2 teams in in one scenario.

As for BYU, the best they can ever do is be a Selection Committee at-large, which means they would need to be Top 10 or 11 to have a shot.

Cheers,
Neil

it favors the sec but the current system also favored them more because they are adored in the computers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom