Class of 2022 - New Transfer: Joe Bolea (MI: East Grand Rapids) SSDM Transfer from Kenyon | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 New Transfer: Joe Bolea (MI: East Grand Rapids) SSDM Transfer from Kenyon

Powellfan

Renowned lacrosse analyst
This seems legit, Demling is a contributor to Lacrosse Bucket. Transitions from DIII to DI have been mixed but 20 caused turnovers for an SSDM is pretty good. 'Cuse needs help at that spot for sure. The Kenyon roster does not list height or weight.

This seems legit, Demling is a contributor to Lacrosse Bucket. Transitions from DIII to DI have been mixed but 20 caused turnovers for an SSDM is pretty good. 'Cuse needs help at that spot for sure. The Kenyon roster does not list height or weight.

Great pick up.

This sounds like a good one. Dami is gone I believe so there is at least one open spot in the top 4. Even if he isn't I would like so see us bring more guys into the permanent ssdm rotation. Fatigue and overuse seemed like recurring issues and we seemed to only use the top 4 unless someone was hurt enough not to play. I still like our top 2 of Rice and Aviles. Rosa had a shaky year but also battled injuries. Most of Rice's mistakes were team d/positioning related and should improve next year now that he has more experience.

The jump from DIII to D1 is tough enough as a long pole and I imagine could be even harder as an ssdm. Will he have the athleticism to make the adjustment is the big question.

This sounds like a good one. Dami is gone I believe so there is at least one open spot in the top 4. Even if he isn't I would like so see us bring more guys into the permanent ssdm rotation. Fatigue and overuse seemed like recurring issues and we seemed to only use the top 4 unless someone was hurt enough not to play. I still like our top 2 of Rice and Aviles. Rosa had a shaky year but also battled injuries. Most of Rice's mistakes were team d/positioning related and should improve next year now that he has more experience.

The jump from DIII to D1 is tough enough as a long pole and I imagine could be even harder as an ssdm. Will he have the athleticism to make the adjustment is the big question.

I agree with you about the jump to D1 but watching the highlights that were posted I think he looks pretty athletic and certainly physical, which I think could be a real asset if he gets to run on the wings.

I'm not saying it's a prerequisite but if he isn't an All-American (not on any pre-season list or the recently published US Lax Mag list) at that level, then he will never play at Syracuse. I think its arguably the toughest position in DI and you need the most athleticism. Good luck to him but this doesn't move the needle forward even the slightest. We cut kids this spring to lower the roster count but taking transfers like this...doesn't make much sense.

I'm not saying it's a prerequisite but if he isn't an All-American (not on any pre-season list or the recently published US Lax Mag list) at that level, then he will never play at Syracuse. I think its arguably the toughest position in DI and you need the most athleticism. Good luck to him but this doesn't move the needle forward even the slightest. We cut kids this spring to lower the roster count but taking transfers like this...doesn't make much sense.

How big is he. How fast is he. How tough is he. How big is his heart.

I think you have to assume the staff had similar doubts but watched the film and liked what they saw. On the other hand, if you want to be pessimistic, those Ohio teams are a relatively weak section of DIII.

Dami has another year if he wants it. Whether that occurs here or somewhere else is the question.

Seems very physical. Obviously at a much lower level of competition but intriguing player due to his speed and physicality.

There is a massive jump from D3 to D1 but let's not go overboard with the takes. SU doesn't bring in transfers to sit the bench (for the most part). This could simply be a move to bring in some more depth behind Rice and Aviles as they will likely be the starters again next year. Rosa has looked good but has battled injuries the last two years and Dami may not be on the team next year. Bolea also appears to be a very physical type of SSDM, SU's short sticks save for Rosa aren't really in that mold and as noted he has been injured a lot. So bringing in another physical SSDM who could match up well in certain games makes sense as the defense desperately needs more help and getting a veteran SSDM albeit from a D3 school can only help. Let's see what he shows on the field in the fall and practice, he may surprise.

I thought all four "starting" SSDMs had their moments last year, but an upgrade is definitely needed. The UNC game stands out to me as one where they were clearly picked on. The Tar Heels (especially Steven Kelly) could draw and dump all day long. As Quint likes to say, your defense is only as good as your weakest link.

To my eyes it seemed like Aviles had a pretty good bounce back year, he seemed more aggressive and I thought he did particularly well as a face-off wing. At times he was like a pit bull out there getting beat up but coming up with the ball. Rice started out well but to me it looked like he got worn down as the season wore on. Rosa clearly has a ton of heart, but it seemed like sometimes his body was moving faster than his head at times. And as you said he was beat up. Dami just never seemed to improve from his freshman year. I also thought he got left on an island way too many times last year.

You need to have so many attributes to be a good SSDM now a days. Foot speed, strength, balance, speed. I had thought for a long time that you needed to be over 6 feet, to make up for the missing long pole, but a number of SSDMs who were named All American this year were at 5'11 or shorter (the top four SU SSDMs are 5'11). Roman Puglise who was perhaps the best this year stands at only 5'11. I do think our SSDM's need to bulk up, especially if the coaches expect them to guard guys like Eric Dobson from ND, which Aviles had to do twice last year.

No idea what kind of playing time Bolea will get, if any. He might just be pursing a grad degree independent of the lacrosse team and the coaches are giving him a shot. Still, based on his stats it does seem like he offers at least some promise. SU also brings in two SSDM recruits in Vincent Trujilio and Zach Mercado. I think/hope SU will be in okay shape in this department next year, if the players who played last year keep improving and they can find one more guy that guy establishes themselves.

Dami has another year if he wants it. Whether that occurs here or somewhere else is the question.
No offense but I dont know if I can do another year of Dami. He's physical and can be good sometimes in transition-- but way too slow, gets beat 1v1 a lot and struggles to know when to help/not help. Often leaving someone wide open to shoot on cage. Granted, the entire defense has had this problem for awhile now, but notice it happens a lot w Dami. Hope he uses his last year of eligibility at either Jacksonville or Bellarmine where he will be able to team up with his brother Tayo.

SSDM is the hardest position to make the jump from D3 to D1. Villanova brought in a D3 All-American from Amherst last year, absolutely electric player in D3, but he struggled somewhat in the Big East. Not saying the same will happen to this kid but temper your expectations. The guys he will be covering in the ACC are bigger, faster, stronger, and shoot harder than anything he is used to.

No offense but I dont know if I can do another year of Dami. He's physical and can be good sometimes in transition-- but way too slow, gets beat 1v1 a lot and struggles to know when to help/not help. Often leaving someone wide open to shoot on cage. Granted, the entire defense has had this problem for awhile now, but notice it happens a lot w Dami. Hope he uses his last year of eligibility at either Jacksonville or Bellarmine where he will be able to team up with his brother Tayo.

Dami has had his struggles here, very much an up and down career. I have no idea what his plans are for his final year but a potential transfer wouldn't surprise me.

If you follow Dami on IG, it seems pretty clear he is done at Cuse . He basically said “thank you Syracuse for everything “ which reads to me that he’s either done and moving on with life or perhaps transferring… but I’m guessing he’s just done.

If you follow Dami on IG, it seems pretty clear he is done at Cuse . He basically said “thank you Syracuse for everything “ which reads to me that he’s either done and moving on with life or perhaps transferring… but I’m guessing he’s just done.

Could be done, he should have his degree and he did play major minutes here when healthy and as noted had some good moments. Nothing wrong with calling it a career at this point.

Agree about Rice who impressed despite general defensive problems. Rosa seemed slow, stiff hipped.

By my count there were either two or three Division III kids playing big minutes in the final four yesterday.

Last edited: