Class of 2023 - New Transfer: Mason Kohn (CA: Torrey Pines), FOGO / Grad Transfer from Tufts | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2023 New Transfer: Mason Kohn (CA: Torrey Pines), FOGO / Grad Transfer from Tufts

I will add though, he’s only basically been a 1 or 2 year FOGO, he was 109-191 57% the year before. Great improvement but he might still be learning the ropes.

I really like his success rate against the top teams though. Union, Amherst, rit and Salisbury. Tufts play a very difficult schedule. 73% against that schedule is no joke.

he was also big hockey player and is 6-0 215

Last edited:
Does that success usually translate up to D-1
71.6% is insanely good. There are top fogo recruits in high school who have winning percentages not a whole lot higher than that. Highest in D1 last year was 65.2%. If he was hovering around 60% in DIII I would not be quite so confident but it is hard has hell to win at that percentage at any level.

On the other hand I don't think we have a lot of examples of a DIII fogo going D1. The fact he is a big strong guy rather than your average 150 pound DIII player is a big help. The physicality of D1 is the toughest to get used to. Overall I am confident he will be at least an above average FOGO in D1.

Obviously a huge addition for the Orange. I think it goes without saying that Kohn won't have quite the same success that he had at Tufts, but he should still be very good for the Orange. He's got a good build and he took a ton of face-offs at Tufts, as they scored buckets of goals (hopefully we do the same). Tufts number two fogo still took 211 face-offs. He never lost a face-off battle last year, his worst day at the stripe he still finished at 60%. This is a totally retooled face-off unit with the addition of Kohn, Stevens and Wright. What was once a very big weakness, should now become a huge strength.

Would I feel more "secure" with an addition like Gunty or long ago rumored Stathkis? Yes I probably would. But as of now they aren't available. Given the other options, of which there aren't many, I think Kohn is the best we could have asked for. I'm sure he wouldn't take on this challenge without thinking he could compete at this level.

What's more, going back to our rivals, other teams like UVA, Hopkins, and UNC are facing questions about their FOGOs. With not a lot of players to go around (as of now) this pickup is even more pronounced.

Last thing, but it's still important that the staff mixes in younger players to the face-off unit. The three presumed starters at X and on the wings will all be grad students (according to his LinkedIn, Kohn was accepted to UCLA law school, so not sure he'll be around for two years). I think it's important that the coaches find ways to get Mullen or Spallina involved, and to find players for the future.

Huge day for the Orange.

I feel like this was the last major piece we were missing to be real contenders for Memorial Day weekend. We know we have the goalie, we know we have the attack, we added to former all Americans at midfield on top of what we already have, our defense was much improved last year and added a stud in the portal from UNC. We have a solid class of recruits coming in next year, plus the freshman from last year will hopefully take that sophomore leap. I think Memorial Day weekend is the expectation at this point

Obviously a huge addition for the Orange. I think it goes without saying that Kohn won't have quite the same success that he had at Tufts, but he should still be very good for the Orange. He's got a good build and he took a ton of face-offs at Tufts, as they scored buckets of goals (hopefully we do the same). Tufts number two fogo still took 211 face-offs. He never lost a face-off battle last year, his worst day at the stripe he still finished at 60%. This is a totally retooled face-off unit with the addition of Kohn, Stevens and Wright. What was once a very big weakness, should now become a huge strength.

Would I feel more "secure" with an addition like Gunty or long ago rumored Stathkis? Yes I probably would. But as of now they aren't available. Given the other options, of which there aren't many, I think Kohn is the best we could have asked for. I'm sure he wouldn't take on this challenge without thinking he could compete at this level.

What's more, going back to our rivals, other teams like UVA, Hopkins, and UNC are facing questions about their FOGOs. With not a lot of players to go around (as of now) this pickup is even more pronounced.

Last thing, but it's still important that the staff mixes in younger players to the face-off unit. The three presumed starters at X and on the wings will all be grad students (according to his LinkedIn, Kohn was accepted to UCLA law school, so not sure he'll be around for two years). I think it's important that the coaches find ways to get Mullen or Spallina involved, and to find players for the future.

Huge day for the Orange.

As I noted in the other thread this is a massive pickup and confirms the rumblings SU was working on something big at the X. That said running Kohn out there 97% of the time would be a massive error. As shown with LaSalla this year and with most FOGO's, they get worn down over the course of a year when asked ot take nearly every faceoff. Gait has been as bad as Desko with riding a winning guy as long as he can, I hope were gonna work in one of the frosh or even on of the two returning guys (assuming Fine doesn't bolt) to at least mix things up and keep Kohn fresh.

That said the faceoff position should be wide open this fall, let Kohn, Spallina, Fine, Richiusa, and Mullen all battle it out.

Dukes goalie was a DIII transfer, and they went to the national title with him
that was in spite of him, not because of him

fogo is easier to translate to d1. i expect kohn to finish between 50 and 60%

i have not heard a peep about boyden's landing spot in months. at one point i heard maybe georgetown. if i hear anything else, will share

Not gonna lie during the chip game of tufts vs sals after kohn made a incredible one hand full sprint in traffic gb. I said to myself wish cuse could get this guy. At time didn’t even think would be possible as didn’t see his name in portal or that he was even looking else where.

If i were coaches i would prob throw out 2 def maby even 3 fogos all year. Whoever is top dog after the battle would prob have them out 70-80% with next two 10-10% or 15–5% make sure not only keep top dog fresh but also switching it up against teams specially if that team does one fogo all game all year to tired their dude out. I also agree prob very possible to run 3mid lines and don’t see why wouldn’t it couldn’t. Keep guys as fresh as possible n would make it even that much harder for other teams to plan against you. For how unselfish team was last year don’t think be issue for guys specially if scoring goals and winning.

If i were coaches i would prob throw out 2 def maby even 3 fogos all year. Whoever is top dog after the battle would prob have them out 70-80% with next two 10-10% or 15–5% make sure not only keep top dog fresh but also switching it up against teams specially if that team does one fogo all game all year to tired their dude out. I also agree prob very possible to run 3mid lines and don’t see why wouldn’t it couldn’t. Keep guys as fresh as possible n would make it even that much harder for other teams to plan against you. For how unselfish team was last year don’t think be issue for guys specially if scoring goals and winning.

Great pickup. Just curious, anyone know if he was the coaching staff’s #1 guy, or did they prefer someone else like DeSouza?

This is where it would’ve been nice to retain Irelanms knowledge to allow Kohn to acclimate to the D1 game.

Dukes goalie was a DIII transfer, and they went to the national title with him
I think goalie would be easier to figure out if the guy can play at a higher level. So much of evaluating goalies is technique and positioning.
FOGO seems to me very strength and technique reliant. It appears to be a lot of in close stuff going on.
I have no idea, as I am less than a casual fan. I’ll watch SU, but really only if they are doing well.

Mason, welcome to Orange Lax!​

IMG_4317.jpeg

Not gonna lie during the chip game of tufts vs sals after kohn made a incredible one hand full sprint in traffic gb. I said to myself wish cuse could get this guy. At time didn’t even think would be possible as didn’t see his name in portal or that he was even looking else where.
If I'm a D1 coach I'd be going over Tufts and Sals commits with a fine tooth comb before signing day. It's amazing how consistent their programs are.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom