Class of 2020 - New Transfer: Nick Hapney (Utah) Defense | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 New Transfer: Nick Hapney (Utah) Defense

illestcuse

All Conference
Nick Hapney to ‘Cuse?!

46AC39AC-1EC3-4CA6-9B7D-3E90E0644F4F.jpeg

15. Nick Hapney, So., D, Utah
A late add to the portal, Hapney entered his name hours before this article was published. He wasn't a well-known recruit while at St. Paul's (Md.) but was discovered by the Utes during his rising senior summer and quickly found himself in the starting lineup. In two years at Utah, the 6-3, 205-pound defenseman started 17 out of 18 games for the upstart program, finishing top three on the team in caused turnovers in ’19 and ’20. Hapney could be a sleeper pick for anyone in need of an experienced pole.

3 more years anyways. Nick would be a 2nd year Soph. Frankie would be a Frosh.

As I mentioned a few weeks ago, heard this was likely once he decided to transfer. Really nice pickup
Good call on Hapney. Any noise on any offensive players coming in? Could maybe upgrade that second line, which I understand is a bit of a tough sell recruiting wise.

Interesting to see what the defense will look like with the additions of Hapney and Wykoff, and the subtractions of Fernandez and Mellen.

Wykoff really makes things interesting in that it sounds like he just guarded opposing teams' best player regardless of position. That said, he was guarding D-III players. It sounds like his best attribute might be groundball play, and while this isn't a normal thing, I could see him being a permanent "wing" and essentially just play the face-off. SU has done this with some short sticks in the past (Luke Schwasnick), and if he gets stuck on D I think he could hold his own. With Clary and Page on the team, this would allow them to still see the field as well.

Of course by adding Hapney this obviously opens up the possibility that Kennedy moves back to LSM. I just don't know how good Hapney is, and if any of the other close defensemen would be able to guard the Moore/Sowers/Grays of the world. Hapney and Wykoff both give the defense size at 6'3 which is good to see. And given that Murphy was a fill in for an injured Mellen, maybe the coaches don't love him as a full time starter down low, and Hapney was brought in to challenge him?

So maybe the defense looks something like this -

Scenario 1 -
LSM: Kennedy, Wykoff, Clary/Page
Close: DiPietro, Murphy, Hapney

Scenario 2 -
LSM: Clary/Page, Wykoff
Close: Kennedy, Hapney, DiPietro

Maybe Desko will just shuffle lineups based on the team they are playing and Kennedy will shift around. Does seem strange to bring in two transfers at defense and not be totally sure if they will be in the starting lineup.

Interesting to see what the defense will look like with the additions of Hapney and Wykoff, and the subtractions of Fernandez and Mellen.

Wykoff really makes things interesting in that it sounds like he just guarded opposing teams' best player regardless of position. That said, he was guarding D-III players. It sounds like his best attribute might be groundball play, and while this isn't a normal thing, I could see him being a permanent "wing" and essentially just play the face-off. SU has done this with some short sticks in the past (Luke Schwasnick), and if he gets stuck on D I think he could hold his own. With Clary and Page on the team, this would allow them to still see the field as well.

Of course by adding Hapney this obviously opens up the possibility that Kennedy moves back to LSM. I just don't know how good Hapney is, and if any of the other close defensemen would be able to guard the Moore/Sowers/Grays of the world. Hapney and Wykoff both give the defense size at 6'3 which is good to see. And given that Murphy was a fill in for an injured Mellen, maybe the coaches don't love him as a full time starter down low, and Hapney was brought in to challenge him?

So maybe the defense looks something like this -

Scenario 1 -
LSM: Kennedy, Wykoff, Clary/Page
Close: DiPietro, Murphy, Hapney

Scenario 2 -
LSM: Clary/Page, Wykoff
Close: Kennedy, Hapney, DiPietro

Maybe Desko will just shuffle lineups based on the team they are playing and Kennedy will shift around. Does seem strange to bring in two transfers at defense and not be totally sure if they will be in the starting lineup.
saw Utah two or three games. I try to watch close d's carefully. Hapney did not embarrass himself, but neither did he distinguish himself. Murphy was pretty good this year. Can't see this guy replacing him. I'll defer to Desko's judgement here though.

Well summarized as usual Powell. Imo, defense was lining up fine despite the loss of three key d vets because the returnees on field as well as those in wait are more than solid. The transfers in deepens and widens flexibility leading to many scenarios. A third c/d scenario could include a younger JKennedy, Lee or frosh Kol . Give thumbs up to Hapney addition as he has shown d1 abilities and has three years left though I agree with Shololov take. Staff can realign to needs but rather have a talented player mostly set in position than jockeying around for matchups . Numbers of able bodies are much larger than last so expecting redshirting of several "futures". Do hope that fall ball comes off so that newcomers and IR returns have the benefit of time to fully integrate.

Present roster ,excluding those still in portal, looks to be 59 so doubt any more additions unless some cuts are being considered. Improvements on offense will need to come from within. Hiltz and Birwistle could make a difference on attack while Seebold and Lynch as wells players such as Fiorini and Magnan will be needed to step up to fill bigger roles

Mental block .I do that all the time despite numerous corrections. At least , both are Irish surnames lol
No worries. Lynch is Quinn. I thought maybe there was some new guy and you guys were holding out on me.
;)

Well summarized as usual Powell. Imo, defense was lining up fine despite the loss of three key d vets because the returnees on field as well as those in wait are more than solid. The transfers in deepens and widens flexibility leading to many scenarios. A third c/d scenario could include a younger JKennedy, Lee or frosh Kol . Give thumbs up to Hapney addition as he has shown d1 abilities and has three years left though I agree with Shololov take. Staff can realign to needs but rather have a talented player mostly set in position than jockeying around for matchups . Numbers of able bodies are much larger than last so expecting redshirting of several "futures". Do hope that fall ball comes off so that newcomers and IR returns have the benefit of time to fully integrate.

Present roster ,excluding those still in portal, looks to be 59 so doubt any more additions unless some cuts are being considered. Improvements on offense will need to come from within. Hiltz and Birwistle could make a difference on attack while Seebold and Lynch as wells players such as Fiorini and Magnan will be needed to step up to fill bigger roles
well said. Please excuse the excessive drum beating, but I do not understand amassing a lot of transfers with one year left. First, their may not be a season. Second, juniors and sophomores already on the team must wonder when they will see the field if there is a season next spring. Sowers may not play at all. Okay, the risk is probably worth taking with him, but all the others?? Too many variables for a small head like mine.

well said. Please excuse the excessive drum beating, but I do not understand amassing a lot of transfers with one year left. First, their may not be a season. Second, juniors and sophomores already on the team must wonder when they will see the field if there is a season next spring. Sowers may not play at all. Okay, the risk is probably worth taking with him, but all the others?? Too many variables for a small head like mine.
It reminds me of a pro sports franchise signing a bunch of older free agents to make one final run at a championship. The underclassmen get a shot at a title. I'm not crazy about it, but it's here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom