Class of 2023 - New Transfer: Steven Schmitt (NY: Cambridge) LSM / Grad Transfer from Mount Saint Mary’s | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2023 New Transfer: Steven Schmitt (NY: Cambridge) LSM / Grad Transfer from Mount Saint Mary’s

Welcome aboard. He looks like a good one. It is just too many guys at this point. Wish we just made a choice between this guy, the Gettysburg guy and Matt Wright from UNC. I guess now we see if Gait/Petro played a short bench because they did not trust the backups or if they just like playing a short bench. If we actually use all these guys I would feel better about it. But all 8 new faces will be gone next year and we will have to pick up the pieces once again. The portal will not always be filled with options, but recruits will certainly take notice. And it feels like it will all be pointless unless we put a short stick in one of these guys hands. Ssdm will still be rough as hell unless we get creative. D is only as good as its weakest players. Think this is enough where we need to try Donnie Scott at short stick next year.

On the bright side it is a good sign that all these guys want to play for us. These are elite guys we are landing. We are a talented team trending in the right direction. Next year could be a big one if we find some answers on team D/ssdm.

Welcome aboard. He looks like a good one. It is just too many guys at this point. Wish we just made a choice between this guy, the Gettysburg guy and Matt Wright from UNC. I guess now we see if Gait/Petro played a short bench because they did not trust the backups or if they just like playing a short bench. If we actually use all these guys I would feel better about it. But all 8 new faces will be gone next year and we will have to pick up the pieces once again. The portal will not always be filled with options, but recruits will certainly take notice. And it feels like it will all be pointless unless we put a short stick in one of these guys hands. Ssdm will still be rough as hell unless we get creative. D is only as good as its weakest players. Think this is enough where we need to try Donnie Scott at short stick next year.

On the bright side it is a good sign that all these guys want to play for us. These are elite guys we are landing. We are a talented team trending in the right direction. Next year could be a big one if we find some answers on team D/ssdm.

I'm sure a few of these guys will be converted to SSDM's.

For years one of my complaints about Desko was that he'd recruit offensive middies, and try to convert them into cover guys.

It's probably easier to start with defensive guys in the first place.

I'm sure a few of these guys will be converted to SSDM's.

For years one of my complaints about Desko was that he'd recruit offensive middies, and try to convert them into cover guys.

It's probably easier to start with defensive guys in the first place.
I get that a little because at a minimum you need the foot speed to play ssdm. Worked out great with Dearth Aviles and others since they were fast enough for the job. We have also had plenty of long sticks who started at ssdm. Clary, Olexo, and Grant Murphy all played ssdm first. Andrew Helmer switched between the two for years. Little different to ask a grad student who has played lsm for 4 years to make the change. Hope it happens but it is a tall order.

Ground balls win games (insert other sports cliche/platitude of your choosing). Upgraded this area significantly.

Ground balls win games (insert other sports cliche/platitude of your choosing). Upgraded this area significantly.
Thought we had a little of that already grabbing Matt Wright from UNC, but this guy sure did grab a hell of a lot. Olexo is that guy but we still may need his services on Close D next season.

Surprised he was still available this late. Him and Wright completely overhaul the LSM position and will likely be 1-2. Gait needs to sit down with Sagedar and discuss a Red-shirt for next season, not an easy conversation to have but would be best for all parties.
Could he play SSDM?

Could he play SSDM?

Sagedar? Uh good question. He's listed 6 feet 180, decent size for the position but I am not aware of him playing SSDM in HS or club. I think the bigger concern is that you need him at LSM next year, hye could be the starter. Maybe he moves for a year but hard to see him playing over Titus, Rice, Rosa, Jake Spallina etc. Also hard to ask a guy who was the #2 LSM last year to now take a shirt and not play an entire year.

Sagedar? Uh good question. He's listed 6 feet 180, decent size for the position but I am not aware of him playing SSDM in HS or club. I think the bigger concern is that you need him at LSM next year, hye could be the starter. Maybe he moves for a year but hard to see him playing over Titus, Rice, Rosa, Jake Spallina etc. Also hard to ask a guy who was the #2 LSM last year to now take a shirt and not play an entire year.

Wouldn’t sleep on Trujillo. He will make a push for some time.

Surprised he was still available this late. Him and Wright completely overhaul the LSM position and will likely be 1-2. Gait needs to sit down with Sagedar and discuss a Red-shirt for next season, not an easy conversation to have but would be best for all parties.
I would imagine the conversation about a redshirt year is harder in lacrosse when you are trying to spread 12 scholarships among the team. Or is there enough financial aid/NIL money that it doesn't really matter?

Trujillo had a lot of pub coming in, I know the prior staff really liked him. I've heard he has the foot speed but his size is a major concern.

I’ve been told that he needs to catch up mentally. Game was too fast for him last year. He looked like he was physically growing during the season. Time will tell.

Before we break out the champagne, Schmitt's numbers were mainly earned against teams in the MAAC. The Mount had only a couple of decent out of conference games early against Towson and Delaware. I hope he proves to be a solid addition against much tougher talent in the ACC.

Some full game footage of the guy if anyone is interested. He is number #32. Just skipped around the first quarter a little but he looks quite good. Already has 3 or 4 gbs, does a nice job shutting down the very shifty Xavier Arline on a move from x and forcing a turnover. Looks huge out there even against a fairly large navy team. Not Matt Wright level speed but is big and physical and knows when to apply pressure. Almost reminds me of Cunningham or Bomberry even though they were close D guys. Navy was not great last year but the footage looks encouraging.

Good sign for new incoming LSM. One big issue for the Orange the last few years has certainly been groundball play. Very curious to see what sort of role he plays, but seems almost certain he has to see time in some role. He will face a big step up in competition but at the very least it seems like he will need to see time as a faceoff wing. He’s also a huge threat in transition.