News Corp is the big Dog not the BTN | Syracusefan.com

News Corp is the big Dog not the BTN

Don

2nd String
I think what people are forgetting is that News corp owns 50 percent of the BTN , they are the masters and if they tell BTN to get the NYC market and the Boston market the Big ten will jump.

The BTN is a peanut and News corp is the elephant in this relationship. News Corp is a media company that needs content across there total offerings. They make money in two ways by advertisers on their networks and shows and newspapers and in the TV side by subscriber fees to their cable and sattelite offerings.

The BTN is red meat for News Corp they are part of the money making machine that is Newscorp. News corp could care less about Notre Dame unless they are convinced it makes them more money. Delany may want Notre Dame to the Big ten but Rupert Murdock would substitute Toledo if he thought it improved the bottom line.

Keep this in mind as things that don't seem plausable come up from time to time such as BC to the Big Ten next over North Carolina or stuff like that.

also keep in mind that the Big 12 probably could have already had Clemson or louiville or FSU if good football was the main focus. Keep in mind that Fox owns part of the football rights to the BIG 12 and they may feel that these teams are not worth the extra money that would be needed to add them. Once again the conference teams may want these teams but the people who may the money are most likely telling them we wont pay more.

The Big Ten Conference as presented by News Corp

I know a lot of people think Rutgers/Maryland is like a country club inviting the poor. What value does it bring?

However, I either saw or read a very good point. With DVR, people are watching fewer and fewer commercials. Thus, the advertising dollars for tv are shrinking or shifting. However, most people watch sports live, and thus watch commercials. I believe many companies are banking on the belief that the majority of tv ad revenue will shift to live sports. In the end, it may be about securing games to keep eyeballs on your station (why NBC Sports is so deperate to secure programming that will attract eyeballs)

yeah I think your right on the 49 percent now though there 2011 corporate form 10k- annual report showed the following info
"Big Ten Network . The Company owns an approximate 51% interest in the Big Ten Network, a 24-hour national programming service
dedicated to the Big Ten Conference and Big Ten athletics, academics and related programming, and Big Ten Network HD, a 24-hour national
programming service produced and distributed in HD. "

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom