Next Year’s Zone, a Shot For Transition | Syracusefan.com

Next Year’s Zone, a Shot For Transition

Trueblue25

Cali Award Magistrate; 2023 Cali Award Rushing Yds
We return key components of a top 10 defense in Chukwu, Frank, Oshae, Sidibe, Moyer and Marek.

Oshae will likely average 9.5 rebounds or more with healthy Moyer and Chukwu capable of 8 to double digit boards as well depending on playing time.

We return Frank Howard, an all acc defensive first team guard, to head the top of the zone with Hughes and Carey.

Transition is provided when you dominate the boards, force turnovers and challenge/block shots. All of which we should flourish in.

With Chukwu, brissett, marek and Sidibe we will have plenty of blocks (wouldn’t be surprised if we were top 5 in the nations for the stat).

With Frank, Carey, Hughes, Bazely and Brissett filling outlets, do we finally see our transition offense return?

We return key components of a top 10 defense in Chukwu, Frank, Oshae, Sidibe, Moyer and Marek.

Oshae will likely average 9.5 rebounds or more with healthy Moyer and Chukwu capable of 8 to double digit boards as well depending on playing time.

We return Frank Howard, an all acc defensive first team guard, to head the top of the zone with Hughes and Carey.

Transition is provided when you dominate the boards, force turnovers and challenge/block shots. All of which we should flourish in.

With Chukwu, brissett, marek and Sidibe we will have plenty of blocks (wouldn’t be surprised if we were top 5 in the nations for the stat).

With Frank, Carey, Hughes, Bazely and Brissett filling outlets, do we finally see our transition offense return?

I don't think we see Moyer in an Orange uniform again, after whatever tournament we play in. I hope OB is smart and stays. If there is a bright-side to this fiasco of a season is that we are a young team, and if we can keep them all in tact we will actually have a very experienced lineup next year.

I don't think we see Moyer in an Orange uniform again, after whatever tournament we play in. I hope OB is smart and stays. If there is a bright-side to this fiasco of a season is that we are a young team, and if we can keep them all in tact we will actually have a very experienced lineup next year.

I think the moyer-boeheim conflicts overblown a bit. Boeheim was being Boeheim, which I hate, when he made his conments on Moyer’s injury.

However, I really dont believe theres any breach of trust or ongoing disagreement in playing time there. We certainly could use Matthew’s experience to provide depth and quality secondhand minutes until he earns more.

By all accounts, Moyer and his family bleed orange.

I’d like to hear from someone who has their eyes and ears closer to the bench and lockerroom.

U must know something we don’t. Moyer will play jr. year and be good. Not great but good. He has a big heart and hope he stays.

A few months ago, I met MM and he hung out with us for a few hours. A really nice young man.

A friend of mine asked him why he chose Syracuse. MM essentially responded with something to the extent of "Jim Boeheim asked me to." MM seemed to have a lot of respect for JB.

FWIW, MM struck me as a down to earth, very intelligent, level headed young man. My 2 cents is that he is back. He isn't the best player on the team, but I now root for him more than any other player.

If the frontcourt players can rebound without help from the guards, we can run. The frontcourt has to get clean rebounds and look to outlet immediately.

I look forward to hearing every game how our zone puts us in the perfect position to get out in transition. Announcers saying that used to be as common as announcers talking about attacking the foul line against us.

UNC runs because they trust someone to get the rebound and guys leak out.. Until we get that trust.. PC can barely hold the rebounds he does get.. Marek gets very few rebounds on D that leaves OB and we do look a bit upcourt when he rebounds..

I think the moyer-boeheim conflicts overblown a bit. Boeheim was being Boeheim, which I hate, when he made his conments on Moyer’s injury.

However, I really dont believe theres any breach of trust or ongoing disagreement in playing time there. We certainly could use Matthew’s experience to provide depth and quality secondhand minutes until he earns more.

By all accounts, Moyer and his family bleed orange.

I’d like to hear from someone who has their eyes and ears closer to the bench and lockerroom.

And as others have posted before, he’s already redshirted. He’s not going to give up an entire year of eligibility to go somewhere else. Even if he potentially doesn’t play a lot next year, some PT is better than completely forfeiting a year of eligibility.

I think he’s here for the long haul and becomes a key player as a junior/senior. Guys get better.

U must know something we don’t. Moyer will play jr. year and be good. Not great but good. He has a big heart and hope he stays.
What about his sophomore year?

It’a a great question. It was addressed a little maybe a month ago when tons of us were engaging in a fun discussion about why we weren’t running. There was one particular Jim Boeheim Show SWC recap and JB was saying things (paraphrasing) like FH isn’t a running PG, the forwards aren’t good in transition, etc. I believe he was also trying to slow the game down and preserve energy.

I’ve said it before but I think a guy like Carey will be most effective running a break. Probably with Chukwu not on the floor. He has very good speed and is an attacker. Bazely seems like he could be lethal at his size, skill set, and athleticism in the open court. Bilas said that UNC gets up and go with all players. Maye can lead a break even and they aren’t dependent on a PG coming back to the ball. I’m real nervous with Frank leading a FB over-handling it/handle getting away from him or even getting it up the floor fast enough. There was one nice FB executed against Wake but that was Wake. It did seem miraculous!

Last edited:
What about his sophomore year?
I don’t think he plays next year much unless he improves and Marek leaves which I want both to stay.

I’m in the camp that says we won’t be a running team again until there’s a new staff. The issue cannot be pinned on Frank as much as some of us wish it could be. It’s been 5 years since Ennis put on a jersey. We don’t recruit a bunch of stiffs who can’t run. The decision to go slow - for whatever reason of the day - is not about personnel.

I’m in the camp that says we won’t be a running team again until there’s a new staff. The issue cannot be pinned on Frank as much as some of us wish it could be. It’s been 5 years since Ennis put on a jersey. We don’t recruit a bunch of stiffs who can’t run. The decision to go slow - for whatever reason of the day - is not about personnel.

I sure hope you’re wrong. At least Virginia does it with a purpose and are a machine. We pass up bad shots for worse shots into tough ISO predicaments as the shot clock dwindles down.

I sure hope you’re wrong. At least Virginia does it with a purpose and are a machine. We pass up bad shots for worse shots into tough ISO predicaments as the shot clock dwindles down.
I hope I’m wrong too.

I don’t think he plays next year much unless he improves and Marek leaves which I want both to stay.
Would like to see Matt "cross train" a bit and develop the skills to be a third option at the 5, particularly when we can go small against teams. Never want to see Marek play a minute at Center again.

I think with the short bench JB really wanted to shorten games and kill as much clock as possible. Of course, even when we weren't this limited by injury Ive seen him really seem to prefer shortening the game for whatever reason, maybe just perceived lack of talent relative to the other team.

While I'm not asking to be Loyola Marymount, I sure do miss the breaking ways of this team. Ive seen similar threads to this, possibly even started one myself, but the longer they keep coming, the more it looks like Franco could be right.

As for MM. I'm not going to assume anything like some of you. The looks on his face Ive noticed numerous times recently make me question how much Orange he still bleeds after being Boeheimed so much.

His view of JB might now remind us of the Foo Fighters song, "My Hero". If he bled Orange after the games this week, it might because his blood hit some yellow snow near a homeless guy.

I like Matt a lot in terms of his attitude. I really, really wish the young man the very best.

However, based upon what he showed on the court, I do not see him ever being a major contributor here. He doesn't seem to have a feel for the game, he has no scoring skills, and though he should be a good rebounder he lacks a nose for the ball. I do not see these as deficiencies that will improve significantly enough with more experience. Certainly hope I am wrong on that count, but with all due respect to OP, 8 boards per game is a pipedream.

Now will he stay as a fringe rotation player or will he leave ? I have no opinion on that and I have promised myself I will never speculate on the comings and goings of players.

Would like to see Matt "cross train" a bit and develop the skills to be a third option at the 5, particularly when we can go small against teams. Never want to see Marek play a minute at Center again.
I want to see him "cross train" for a different reason. I would love to see him work on his high post game. It would be nice to have an answer for all the teams that try to 2-3 zone us now. I think he has a little better shooting touch than Dolezaj. I'd love to see him develop a Ryan Blackwell-type game. I still think he could become a good contributor during with Jr and Sr seasons.

Last edited: