Next year will be season #49 for me. | Syracusefan.com

Next year will be season #49 for me.

billorange44

2nd String
I will be 60 years old. I have had season tickets for so many years that I can't remember when I first bought them. This season was the topper.

I left early in the fourth quarter yesterday. I just couldn't take it anymore. I have no way to justify buying season tickets next year. I have thought this out all season. Yes, we beat Wake after they lost their top quarterback. We beat Toledo on a missed call by the ref. Rhode Island, well, that was a joke of a win. It should never have been that close. Tulane, was also a joke. We did not deserve to win there after blowing a what, 28 point lead? Losing to Rutgers who I thought was so inferior to us. The same for Louisville and UCONN.

What will next year bring? Who knows, but Iguess if I want to go to a game, I will buy tickets from a scalper. I know I am not a lone and I wish the University or hope the University knows by putting a terrible product on the field and expecting fans to purchase tickets is doing just the opposite.

I really hate being this way, but it just isn't fun anymore.

I think the university knows. Maybe that's why they sell tickets for as low as $15 a pop.

so what did you do for the 20 years from mid 60's to the 80's when we were really awful most of the time?

so what did you do for the 20 years from mid 60's to the 80's when we were really awful most of the time?

I hoped a lot. Lived out of state for a while. There was progress back then though and we did bring in some good players. The University also showed they at least wanted to do better by building the Dome. There really is nothing now to hope for. Even Coach Marrone sounds like there is no way out and this season is pretty much done per his press conference yesterday. At least that's how he sounded to me.

I will be 60 years old. I have had season tickets for so many years that I can't remember when I first bought them. This season was the topper.

I left early in the fourth quarter yesterday. I just couldn't take it anymore. I have no way to justify buying season tickets next year. I have thought this out all season. Yes, we beat Wake after they lost their top quarterback. We beat Toledo on a missed call by the ref. Rhode Island, well, that was a joke of a win. It should never have been that close. Tulane, was also a joke. We did not deserve to win there after blowing a what, 28 point lead? Losing to Rutgers who I thought was so inferior to us. The same for Louisville and UCONN.

What will next year bring? Who knows, but Iguess if I want to go to a game, I will buy tickets from a scalper. I know I am not a lone and I wish the University or hope the University knows by putting a terrible product on the field and expecting fans to purchase tickets is doing just the opposite.

i wrote a similiar post a few months back.this is also my 51st year of su football, did not always have season tickets but attended an average of 4-5 games a year.season tickets for the last 5. i have felt that college football in general is not much fun anymore for me.the national realingment stuff in general has finished me off. i had the same struggle as you this year, but have decided to ride it out with marrone. i do this for two reasons 1.he bleeds orange and has truly invested his heart and soul into su, if he can then i can with him.(i am not an alumni) 2. i truly feel this is last breath for su football---if he does not succeed su will return to 1aa (or whaetver they call it now) as the program will not withstand the arms race --and the fan base (as small as it is)cannot sustain it. i really can empathize with your thoughts on this.

I feel the frustration & share it. Similarly situated in that next year will be my 45th year going to games less a year or two for school, jobs, & kids. What I don't share is the thought that I might not buy tickets.

As bad as the season has been, progress is not always linear. I do see improvement & I know SU is committed. It will work out over time either with Doug or someone else. New facilities are coming and the notion that we'll drop down a level officially became silly once we got into the ACC.

For me SU is like the Green Bay of college football -- we are where we are because of history & dedicated fans. A place like Syracuse couldn't create the brand we have if we were just starting out in football today. Like Green Bay, we are an historical accident & we need to appreciate how lucky we are to have the athletic program we have.

I would never fault someone who decides not to spend money on what has been a mostly unwatchable product this year. I would never say you're not a true fan. What I would say is that my decision is to support (& criticize) in the belief that SU is as committed as I am & things will improve.

I'm not naive & I haven't drank the Orange flavored Kool-Aid. I've just decided as a townie & a grad SU football deserves my support.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This time, I have been at every home game since 2002. In the past=every home game from 1985-90 then maybe a game a year till 2002. (lived out of town)

Granted their are many kicks in the gut but when spring rolls around this year will hurt less.
Win next week they can go to a bowl and we can get ready for one last run in BE then ACC.

Not as old as you (lol)...but I feel exactly the same way! I think I'm done! They have lost my season ticket dollars. IF I go to a game or two anymore I will just buy them off the street.

i truly feel this is last breath for su football---if he does not succeed su will return to 1aa (or whaetver they call it now)
We can't return to a lower division because we've always been major college level. We are part of the fabric of major college football history. I don't see any reason (short of being made from limp spaghetti) that we would not keep playing at the highest level, with the highest aspirations.

dropping down is a ignorant post-

we didnt join the acc for hoops only-

Not dropping down a division that is silly, but if Marrone isn't the guy this program goes in the toilet with him (not saying it will saying IF)...then we could be doormats in the ACC forever with Duke. With no hope of ever being good. Because it will be tough to rebound when you are around 15-20 years out from being relevant on the scene.

I don't expect SU to ever be at the top of the ACC consistently. But a middle of the pack school with a little run(not win, just a run) at the conference title every 3 or 4 years isn't asking a lot and I think reasonable.

Not dropping down a division that is silly, but if Marrone isn't the guy this program goes in the toilet with him (not saying it will saying IF)...then we could be doormats in the ACC forever with Duke. With no hope of ever being good. Because it will be tough to rebound when you are around 15-20 years out from being relevant on the scene.

I don't expect SU to ever be at the top of the ACC consistently. But a middle of the pack school with a little run(not win, just a run) at the conference title every 3 or 4 years isn't asking a lot and I think reasonable.

Glad I am not a lone. To be honest, it really hurts to feel this bad about SU Football. I will never give it up, just be more selective when it comes to games. Now maybe I will take up deer hunting again as I gave it up years ago as my wife, in so many words said it was one or the other. I was an avid hunter too! Who knows?

I

I'm stunned that anyone could have kept their tickets through the GumpRob era yet decided NOW is the time to dump them. As awful as the past few games have been, they are NOTHING like the abject hopelessness of 2007 and 2008.

I'm stunned that anyone could have kept their tickets through the GumpRob era yet decided NOW is the time to dump them. As awful as the past few games have been, they are NOTHING like the abject hopelessness of 2007 and 2008.

I think this year has been pretty close to a gump year, we had the one great win and barely beat 2 teams we should have destoyed, gump would be 3-8 right now, but I will tell you what he past 4 weeks are all gump, no difference. Using gump for any barometer of success is dangerous but I am just as frustrated, stink is stink no matter what.

I think this year has been pretty close to a gump year, we had the one great win and barely beat 2 teams we should have destoyed, gump would be 3-8 right now, but I will tell you what he past 4 weeks are all gump, no difference. Using gump for any barometer of success is dangerous but I am just as frustrated, stink is stink no matter what.

I get what you're saying, but I'm talking more about feel than results, if that makes any sense? Basically I was utterly despondent following SU football, particularly from 2006-2008, when it was abundantly clear that we had a historically incompetent boob coaching our team.

I have a hard time understanding why someone would have renewed their season tickets for the 2008 season, when a chimp flinging feces could have drawn up a better gameplan than GumpRob, yet would dump them now, a year removed from an encouraging season?

I mean I know your feelings about Marrone IB, but I suspect even you wouldn't say that the guy could never coach us to at least 6 or 7 win seasons? I would say that we at least have hope for medicority now, as opposed to before when we just aspired to not vomit all over ourselves more than 9 times a year.

Glad I am not a lone. To be honest, it really hurts to feel this bad about SU Football. I will never give it up, just be more selective when it comes to games. Now maybe I will take up deer hunting again as I gave it up years ago as my wife, in so many words said it was one or the other. I was an avid hunter too! Who knows?

I

I was very respectful of your years of season ticket patronage and your possible decision to say f**k it. Then you said maybe you'll hunt instead. Uhhhh... No. Lol

i truly feel this is last breath for su football---if he does not succeed su will return to 1aa (or whaetver they call it now) as the program will not withstand the arms race --and the fan base (as small as it is)cannot sustain it. i really can empathize with your thoughts on this.
This takes the cake as the stupidest post ever on this board.

I hoped a lot. Lived out of state for a while. There was progress back then though and we did bring in some good players. The University also showed they at least wanted to do better by building the Dome. There really is nothing now to hope for. Even Coach Marrone sounds like there is no way out and this season is pretty much done per his press conference yesterday. At least that's how he sounded to me.

MAYBE YOU SHOULD ATTEND THE COACH'S LUNCH, 17 WINA IN 3 YEARS IS BETTER THAN 10 IN 5 YEARS??

Come on. You want to root for Syracuse's football team, root for them. If you don't, don't.

This epitomizes fair-weather - anyone who wonders if this is a football region needs to look no further than this (and a few similar posts from earlier in the week).

All this "woe-is-me, the football team's having a losing season" whining is ridiculous.

To many people on this board feel entitled to a certain number of wins or a certain style of play.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom