Next year will be the first time | Syracusefan.com

Next year will be the first time

20Plus

If my research is correct next year if Tyus returns will be the first time that we will have our full team.

I know one year we just lost Rich Jackson before we went on a magical regular season run with Fab Melo. Alan Griffin senior year we had nobody new as a freshman or first-year player come in and crack that line up but we lost player the year before obviously.

If Tyus leaves it would be because he didn’t want to be here or really just wanted to go pro (which I highly highly doubt).

Why would you leave as a second rounder in a very strong draft class?

Last edited by a moderator:
coughtylerlydoncough.well there's the no seniors thing. and nothing surprises me these days. reason jettisoned.

Some people are just sick of school and have their minds made up already regardless of how the year went.

If my research is correct next year if Tyus returns will be the first time that we will have our full team.

I know one year we just lost Rich Jackson before we went on a magical regular season run with Fab Melo. Alan Griffin senior year we had nobody new as a freshman or first-year player come in and crack that line up but we lost player the year before obviously.

If Tyus leaves it would be because he didn’t want to be here or really just wanted to go pro (which I highly highly doubt).

I didn't realize Battle had already gone through the combine and been told his ceiling was the second round.

Tyus is gone.

This.

The agents have their game down at this point...

Most are able to convince late rounders and second rounders they need to leave now and they successfully big the kids up enough to convince them there's no way they'll be jettisoned by the NBA and languishing in the G league or forced to overseas within 2-3 years... Even tho the evidence to contrary is there for all to see at this point.

The agents have become very good at convincing these kids that they are invincible and unstoppable... to get their payday. The career-ending injury before leaving college is a strong fear motivator to be sure, and that is a big part of the drum beat.

I keep thinking eventually this will turn and a lot of these kids are being played for agent fees, but it hasn't and the worst case of a one time payday, short and/or lower league career is acceptable (even tho most kids prolly told and think that happens to other guys, but no way to them).

Last edited:

You doubt he really wants to go pro?

This.

Most are able to convince late rounders and second rounders they need to leave now and they successfully big the kids up enough to convince them there's no way they'll be jettisoned by the NBA and languishing in the G league or forced to overseas within 2-3 years... Even tho the evidence to contrary is there for all to see at this point.

The agents have become very good at convincing these kids that they are invincible and unstoppable... to get their payday. The career-ending injury before leaving college is a strong fear motivator to be sure, and that is a big part of the drum beat.

I keep thinking eventually this will turn and a lot of these kids are being played for agent fees, but it hasn't and the worst case of a one time payday, short and/or lower league career is acceptable (even tho most kids prolly told and think that happens to other guys, but no way to them).
One time payday of millions. If you are not a prospect by sophomore year, it is rare that your stock will improve: it's more likely to drop.
One 3 year contract worth millions can set you up for life.
One missed opportunity for that money can rarely be made up.
Agents don't get paid if the client doesn't get paid.
They go to schol to get a job in their field. Why wait 4 years, if you can do it in less time.

This.

If a kid is talking to an agent, isn't he already gone?

Some people are just sick of school and have their minds made up already regardless of how the year went.
Battle apparently likes school and is a good student.

He doesn't have a particularly good handle, he's a streaky shooter, and he often struggled when a good defender got in his grill. I think he should stay for another year, but what the heck, it seems to be how things go these days. Just another way the influence of the NBA screws the college game. Like the offensive foul that wasn't called on Bagley.
upload_2018-3-25_12-20-34.gif

i hate to see any cuse player jump early but if tyus ain't ready now he never will be. what else does he have to prove ? i just sensed post game he's ready to move on. and if that's the case i wish him well. great player.
Yeah he is who he is, the NBA knows what they're getting

One thing he could show improvement on is being more of a combo guard - showing he could run the point for a few minutes and getting others involved. But I don't think him coming back will give him that chance.

He doesn't have a particularly good handle, he's a streaky shooter, and he often struggled when a good defender got in his grill. I think he should stay for another year, but what the heck, it seems to be how things go these days. Just another way the influence of the NBA screws the college game. Like the offensive foul that wasn't called on Bagley. View attachment 125259
I think his handle is fine. His passing could improve. Most college kids are streaky shooters - if they weren't streaky they'd be elite

This.

You might be right. I do want to remind everyone that Battle committed to Michigan and then his dad talked him out of it. Maybe they’ll be on the same page with the draft, maybe not.

His shot is not going to get fixed in college.
Or in the D League.

If he stays, which he should, he could show scouts that he doesn’t disappear for stretches for huge games. He can show how cool he is under pressure.

There is no such thing as a huge game or pressure in the D league.

If a kid is talking to an agent, isn't he already gone?

There's a difference between "talking to an agent" and "signing with an agent".

If you sign with an agent, you are officially gone.

True enough.

If you are recruited out of the "projects" are poorly prepared academically, hate school, and your family and you are in desperate need of money, that pushes you in one direction.

If you are doing well in school. have a stable family situation and looking to possibly maximize your earnings, than that sometimes leads in the other direction.

Tyus seems to fit in the second group. He could still leave, but some of the indicators that almost demand his leaving are not there.

One time payday of millions. If you are not a prospect by sophomore year, it is rare that your stock will improve: it's more likely to drop.
One 3 year contract worth millions can set you up for life.
One missed opportunity for that money can rarely be made up.
Agents don't get paid if the client doesn't get paid.
They go to schol to get a job in their field. Why wait 4 years, if you can do it in less time.

You are generally correct.

However, you would be shocked at how fast you can go through a couple of million dollars without a lot of restraint.

I know a guy in DC who hit the jackpot for $3-$ million in a commercial real estate deal about 10 years ago. The thought at the time was "It ain't gonna rain no mo no mo".

A few years of high lifestyle, private schools, vacations, jewelry, and a very expensive Audi ensued. And his new friends were very eager to help him spend some of it.

He is now back scrambling. His high maintenance wife, the Audi, the beach property and much of the rest of it are gone.

Consider that you are going to work doing something for 40+ years.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom