Next Year | Syracusefan.com

Next Year

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant

Syracuse women's basketball faces massive rebuilding job to remain among the elite
(PS; Kramer)

The talented group of women's basketball players who have arrived on the Syracuse campus within the past five seasons brought with them great potential and even greater expectations.

Much to their credit, they fulfilled both.

Now their time is done, and the question isn't just how quickly they can be replaced.

Rather, it's can they be replaced at all?

The answer will determine the immediate direction of the program.

Syracuse's 94-64 loss to Connecticut on Monday night in a NCAA Tournament second-round game in Gampel Pavilion sends packing the remnants of perhaps the best collection of players the school has ever had at one time.

The departures actually started with all-time three-point threat Brianna Butler from the SU team that reached last year's national title game. But four senior starters returned from that squad this year: forward Isabella Slim, center Briana Day and guards Alexis Peterson and Brittney Sykes.

Taking in the overlap from last season to this one, those anchors helped drive Syracuse to five straight tournament appearances. Before they pulled on the Orange jersey, Syracuse had four NCAA visits total in program history.

I figure Gabby Cooper is a lock to start. So is Jasmine Nwajei, the high scoring transfer from Wagner. She will probably play the point.

Miranda Drummond, a good outside shooter and transfer forward from St Bonaventure, should at least get a lot of PT and will probably also start.

I think Finlea-Guity starts at center and Strautmane starts at power forward. Oppenheimer should play serious minutes as a more traditional PG. She will battle for that role with Davida Dale, Isis Young and Chelayne Bailey. Elmore will probably be the first SG off the bench.

Chandler should get some PT at PF and C.

Kariata will probably be the backup C.

It will be an unbelievably young team but the two transfers with experience should help. I think the Q system is a tough one to learn and so little experience with it, growing pains are inevitable. I would be happy with a .500 record in ACC play and a winning record overall.

Getting to the tournament would be an incredible accomplishment.

But the year after, they could be really really good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom