NFL & College Coaches Comment About Head Coach Scott Shafer | Syracusefan.com

NFL & College Coaches Comment About Head Coach Scott Shafer

G

GoCuse44

Thoughts on Coach Scott Shafer from Around College and Professional Football

Jim Harbaugh, San Francisco 49ers Head Coach (2011-present); Stanford University Head Coach (2007-10)
“I am excited about the tremendous opportunity for Coach Shafer and Syracuse University. Scott is hard working, enthusiastic and of high character. Great things will happen with Shafe. He and his family will continue the rich and great Syracuse tradition.”

Doug Marrone ’91, Buffalo Bills Head Coach (2013-present); Syracuse University Head Coach (2009-12)
“As a Syracuse letterwinner, I am proud to have Scott Shafer leading the football program. He is a person of high integrity who cares about the student-athletes and their development on and off the field. Scott has proven his expertise as a defensive coordinator and is ready to lead the program. I wish him all the best as the head coach of the Orange.”

David Shaw, Stanford University Head Coach (2011-present); Stanford Offensive Coordinator (2007-10)
“Scott Shafer brings enthusiasm to teaching young men to be excited about the game of football and play it the right way. He is going to make it an environment that’s fun to be in – the coaches are going to love to come to work every day and the players are going to love to come to practice every day. I think the results of that will show when people are watching the games, the team and their unity. They will know that it starts from the top. It will be an exciting, fun environment for everyone.

“Coach Shafer believes in keeping it simple, having guys play fast and with a lot of emotion. I think that’s what you’re going to see even more of as Syracuse continues to grow and take those next steps. Everything is about passion and enjoying the game, the camaraderie and guys playing together. That is what Scott’s about and I think it’s going to transfer onto the field.”

Bill Mallory, Indiana Head Coach (1984-96)
“Syracuse is getting a person who has been right there in the program and has been very involved in the improvement and success the program has seen. He is a smart, sharp individual who handles himself in a classy fashion, and stands for the right reasons. That is what you want. That goes into winning. That is the process.

“Syracuse fans should be very pleased and excited. Scott is what you want to see; he is character. He is an excellent people person, a great communicator. He is a very caring individual, which I think is so essential in coaching these young men. As the fans get to know him better, they will realize that you aren’t going to find a more class individual. If I was an AD, he would be the kind of guy I’d want running my program because he’s a winner and does the things you want to see.”

Joe Novak, Northern Illinois Head Coach (1996-2007)
“Scott was one of my first hires when I got the head job at Northern Illinois. He has some fire to him, which is always good for a good football coach. The kids love him. He's excitable. He's enthusiastic. The players have always loved him and loved being coached by him. He'll get after them, but he'll also hug them up too. I think that's an important quality in a coach to be able to do both of those things. His enthusiasm will carry over to the fan base. I think he'll do a good job of continuing what Coach Marrone has done up there.

“One thing unique about Scott is that he was a quarterback in college. He spent a lot of time on the offensive side as a player and when he got into coaching, he got on the defensive side of the ball. That's unique in our profession. Most coaches are either offensive or defensive orientated, but Scott has great exposure on both sides of the ball. I think that's what helped him become a great football coach.”

i'm reading too much into this (and i'm a-ok with the hire), but marrone is the only one who mentions/references expertise in Xs/Os. he's enthusiastic and has fire. we need more than that. just sayin.

Anyone not give two squats about what Marrone said?
Kinda burned me the way he spoke. I'm happy for Doug, butt something rubbed me there.

i'm reading too much into this (and i'm a-ok with the hire), but marrone is the only one who mentions/references expertise in Xs/Os. he's enthusiastic and has fire. we need more than that. just sayin.
You are reading way too much into this - these are standard PR responses. You could probably find them on some secretary's computer waiting to be issued - fill in name here, send to xxxx University, rinse, repeat.

Here - read what Mallory said about Marrone going to the Bills =

“Buffalo is getting a person who has been right there in the program and has been very involved in the improvement and success the program has seen. He is a smart, sharp individual who handles himself in a classy fashion, and stands for the right reasons. That is what you want. That goes into winning. That is the process.

“Bills fans should be very pleased and excited. Doug is what you want to see; he is character. He is an excellent people person, a great communicator. He is a very caring individual, which I think is so essential in coaching these men. As the fans get to know him better, they will realize that you aren’t going to find a more class individual. If I was an owner, he would be the kind of guy I’d want running my program because he’s a winner and does the things you want to see.”

You are reading way too much into this - these are standard PR responses. You could probably find them on some secretary's computer waiting to be issued - fill in name here, send to xxxx University, rinse, repeat.

“Buffalo is getting a person who has been right there in the program and has been very involved in the improvement and success the program has seen. He is a smart, sharp individual who handles himself in a classy fashion, and stands for the right reasons. That is what you want. That goes into winning. That is the process.

“Bills fans should be very pleased and excited. Doug is what you want to see; he is character. He is an excellent people person, a great communicator. He is a very caring individual, which I think is so essential in coaching these men. As the fans get to know him better, they will realize that you aren’t going to find a more class individual. If I was an owner, he would be the kind of guy I’d want running my program because he’s a winner and does the things you want to see.”

That's awesome, good find!

Anyone not give two squats about what Marrone said?

Me. Syracuse grad, former coach, NFL coach - don't let current disappointments devalue the mans opinion. He also hired and worked with him 10+ hours a day for four years. His opinion might matter the most.

Actually, I could care less what any of these coaches have to say.

They're endorsements are meaningless.

They follow the coaching code... always say positive things about another coach whenever asked...

After Gerg's endorsements from Pete Carroll, Mack Brown, etc., you might say I'm a bit jaded.

Did he really say that about Marrone or is that a joke?
Since Marrone was not "right there in the program", I assume it's a joke.

LMAO!!!! Great find.

Buffalo is getting a person who has been right there in the program and has been very involved in the improvement and success the program has seen. He is a smart, sharp individual who handles himself in a classy fashion, and stands for the right reasons. That is what you want. That goes into winning. That is the process.

That first sentence I bolded maks no sense in context. He hasn't been at Buffalo and it doesn't mention SU. Did you make this up or does Mallory really speak like an idiot?

MAYBE HCDM HIRED LIKE MINDED PEOPLE, DUH, I BET THE SAME COMMENTS CAN DISCRIBE COACH WHEATLEY

That first sentence I bolded maks no sense in context. He hasn't been at Buffalo and it doesn't mention SU. Did you make this up or does Mallory really speak like an idiot?
I missed fixing that one - it is the Mallory statement on Shafer with Marrone thrown in. As I mentioned - I am sure there are fill-in the name statements ready to be fired off for a lot of guys. Sort of like obits written and waiting to be put into play.

Thoughts on Coach Scott Shafer from Around College and Professional Football

Joe Novak, Northern Illinois Head Coach (1996-2007)
“Scott was one of my first hires when I got the head job at Northern Illinois. He has some fire to him, which is always good for a good football coach. The kids love him. He's excitable. He's enthusiastic. The players have always loved him and loved being coached by him. He'll get after them, but he'll also hug them up too. I think that's an important quality in a coach to be able to do both of those things. His enthusiasm will carry over to the fan base. I think he'll do a good job of continuing what Coach Marrone has done up there.

“One thing unique about Scott is that he was a quarterback in college. He spent a lot of time on the offensive side as a player and when he got into coaching, he got on the defensive side of the ball. That's unique in our profession. Most coaches are either offensive or defensive orientated, but Scott has great exposure on both sides of the ball. I think that's what helped him become a great football coach.”

As long as he is not hugging ball boys, we should be good!!

Grace: Oh, he's very popular Ed. The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, wastoids, dweebies, dickheads - they all adore him. They think he's a righteous dude.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom