NFL v. College | Syracusefan.com

NFL v. College

G

GoCuse44

I am not sure if this has been discussed today but does any think that after four years of being the head coach of a D1 college football program that Doug Marrone has simply decided that he is better suited for the NFL.

• Maybe Doug enjoys the X's & O's of coaching in college but is sick & tired of travelling the country trying to convince a 17 or 18 year old kid to play football at Syracuse University.
  • During bye weeks Doug not only has to prepare for his next opponent but he also has to hop on a plane to meet with high school kids and his parents. Look at his travel schedule after the season ended. He travelled across the country and back in 3 or 4 days to meet recruits and if he was in the NFL he could have enjoyed some down time after a long season.
  • Not only is Doug's time consumed by recruiting he also has to attend luncheons, meet with donors, attend community functions, etc. which all take time away from his family (wife and two young children).
  • Doug mentioned at a luncheon how much tougher it was coaching at the college level because in the NFL if a draft pick or free agent did not work out as planned you could simply release them and sign another guy to take his place. In college once you bring a kid on campus he is yours for 4 or 5 years even if he never plays a down.
  • As a college coach Doug is responsible for 85 kids and he has to deal with all the stupid things college students do (i.e. Spruill, Rene, Williams, AAM, Carter, Williams, etc.). I am not saying NFL players do not get themselves into trouble but you are dealing with grown men as opposed to young kids.
Maybe Doug's decision to interview for an NFL head coaching job has nothing to do with money, facilities, or the prestige of an NFL head coaching job. Maybe Doug has realized after four years at Syracuse University that he is simply does not enjoy being the head coach of a D1 college football program and its time for a change.

He hates the 'extra' stuff required in college for sure

he has even mentioned it before

this has been my thinking. everyone wants to believe it's not true, but why wouldn't it be? there doesn't have to be an excuse for him to do it other then that is what he wants. everyone hung up on the whole dream job thing can't hold him to that. and no i'm not calling out his character. he is probably sick of the negativity, the barely half filled dome, and the realization that it will forever be an uphill battle trying to compete. oh ya, let's not forget the significant raise to do what he loves most...coach football

This could be true. I think there's too much doom and gloom about the possibility of Marrone leaving. He's leaving the program in excellent shape (if he does leave, of course).

IMO it's very possible that he just doesn't see himself as a college head coach and knows Syracuse won't have a problem replacing him with a guy who will continue to build the program into a winner in the ACC.

he is probably sick of the negativity, the barely half filled dome, and the realization that it will forever be an uphill battle trying to compete.

Can't get through one freakin' thread without seeing the collective Syracuse Football fanbase + program getting on. Pretty tired of it, myself. Maybe the guy just wants to coach in the NFL. Sheesh.

Do we honestly think Doug had no idea what he was getting into from a time requirement standpoint, a facilities situation, selling recruits, etc.

I think we've all lost our minds. He won't leave because he got some hate mail. He'll leave because he's a football coach and the pinnacle of his profession is the NFL. The thing we have to remember is there are very experienced coaches available (think lovie smith) that I'd take over Doug.

I want him to stay and I want whoever is in charge to give him what he needs. We're on the cusp with every aspect of the program and don't want to lose ground with a new staff.

He hates the 'extra' stuff required in college for sure

he has even mentioned it before

I saw a change in him at the luncheons this year. Last year he came in, shook hands, talked to folks, and then gave his speech/answered questions. This year it seemed like it was last place he wanted to be on a Monday at noon.

The NFL is the pinnacle of football. It is the best of the best.

There are 32 head coaching jobs in the NFL. I suspect there are tens of thousands of guys coaching at the high school and college level in America today, most of whom would murder a drifter with their bare hands to get an NFL HC job.

I don't know why people concoct such convoluted scenarios. Doug Marrone is a crazy ambitious football coach who wants to, whether now or later, try his hand at the highest level. He also knows that if he logs a couple of 4-8 seasons at SU he'll get run out of town on a rail.

All this being said, the life of an NFL HC coach is sheer torture. You have to have something seriously wrong with you to want to do that job. It's 18 hour days, 365 days a year. There may be differences in responsibilities vs college, but its still hell.

I saw a change in him at the luncheons this year. Last year he came in, shook hands, talked to folks, and then gave his speech/answered questions. This year it seemed like it was last place he wanted to be on a Monday at noon.

Last year he showed up at Noon and spent 20 minutes working the room.

This year he was tied up with BE media obligations and never arrived until after 12:15, so that was the end of the hugs and handshakes.

He would stay every week and answer all the questions that were asked (unless they were recruiting related).

Marrone was a lot more comfortable this season then he was during the 0-5 stretch last year.

The NFL is the pinnacle of football. It is the best of the best.

There are 32 head coaching jobs in the NFL. I suspect there are tens of thousands of guys coaching at the high school and college level in America today, most of whom would murder a drifter with their bare hands to get an NFL HC job.

I don't know why people concoct such convoluted scenarios. Doug Marrone is a crazy ambitious football coach who wants to, whether now or later, try his hand at the highest level. He also knows that if he logs a couple of 4-8 seasons at SU he'll get run out of town on a rail.

All this being said, the life of an NFL HC coach is sheer torture. You have to have something seriously wrong with you to want to do that job. It's 18 hour days, 365 days a year. There may be differences in responsibilities vs college, but its still hell.

I don't necessarily disagree with your last point, but I always assumed the college head jobs were more torturous, just because of recruiting alone. You put in all that time, effort, travel, sucking up to entitled parents, entitled HS coaches, entitled kids, and at the end of the day, hitting at the Mendoza line is considered success.

Then throw in all the fund raising events. Just does not sound fun to me.

Can't get through one freakin' thread without seeing the collective Syracuse Football fanbase + program getting **** on. Pretty tired of it, myself. Maybe the guy just wants to coach in the NFL. Sheesh.
that's exactly what i was saying that just wants to coach in the nfl? i'm not being negative about anything i love this school, probably too much. i'm stating facts about what i'm frustrated with as a loyal fan because we could be losing the best thing to happen to us in a long time.

I don't necessarily disagree with your last point, but I always assumed the college head jobs were more torturous, just because of recruiting alone. You put in all that time, effort, travel, sucking up to entitled parents, entitled HS coaches, entitled kids, and at the end of the day, hitting at the Mendoza line is considered success.

Then throw in all the fund raising events. Just does not sound fun to me.

Oh I totally agree. I find recruiting to be disgusting just as a fan. Having to prostitute yourself to 17 year olds and their dopey families is something I would never, ever, ever, ever, ever want to do. Like ever.

Pro coaches have to deal with personnel matters though, which are probably extremely time intensive (if less nauseating) in terms of the draft and free agency.

Neither job sounds remotely enjoyable to me. But that's why I don't coach. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom