NIT or NCAA? | Syracusefan.com

NIT or NCAA?

NIT or NCAA? Better for the players this season?

• NIT

Votes: 10 23.8%
  • NCAA

Votes: 28 66.7%
  • CBI (or whatever) is more likely due to NCAA ban

Votes: 4 9.5%

• Total voters

rhcuse

Starter
If no post-season ban this year, would you prefer the team go to NIT or NCAA? Please vote from players perspective / opportunity in the poll. Which would be better for this team?

Then comment on your preference as a fan.

If both are banned, would SU be allowed in private tournaments? I assume CBI Classic or whatever is not NCAA sponsored.

Winning it all in the NIT would be great for development of these young guys and send Roc out as a champ. Better than squeaking into the big show and losing in round 1 or worse yet the play-in game. Not going to go far anyhow.

Anybody would rather be in the NCAA rather the NIT. If we get into the NIT, I'd like to win it of course but it's still college basketball's pergatory. I doubt we'll ever by in the CBI. The NIT will take us because of the Carrier Dome if we have a winning record at all.

Anybody would rather be in the NCAA rather the NIT. If we get into the NIT, I'd like to win it of course but it's still college basketball's pergatory. I doubt we'll ever by in the CBI. The NIT will take us because of the Carrier Dome if we have a winning record at all.
I did think of the hypocrisy there. Just watch NCAA ban us from March Madness while allowing us to play in NIT because of the box office revenue from a couple of Dome games and a couple of sold out Madison Square Gardens!

I would imagine it's not possible top play int he NIT if you're banned from the post-season.

But of course the answer is the NCAA

it would be hilarious if SU went on a run through the NIT, because the quarterfinal dates are March 25/26. why is that funny? because the Carrier Dome is hosting the East Regional on March 27/29. How awesome would it be to pack the Dome with 30K for the NIT one night and then leave it 1/4 empty for the NCAA teams the next day?

we would need to go 6-4 minimally to even sniff the bubble. that is a tall task given our schedule even for a good SU team, which we are not.

We could easily win the NIT though... if the kids stay motivated. Rak sure would be.

it would be hilarious if SU went on a run through the NIT, because the quarterfinal dates are March 25/26. why is that funny? because the Carrier Dome is hosting the East Regional on March 27/29. How awesome would it be to pack the Dome with 30K for the NIT one night and then leave it 1/4 empty for the NCAA teams the next day?
SU vs Michigan State in the Dome. Rak's last home game. 30K possible...

The big dance! Then we do our best.
Man, we have been so close against Nova and Carolina...
No reason not to believe we cannot string together a few good ones in a row at the end.

SU vs Michigan State in the Dome. Rak's last home game. 30K possible...

We got close to 27K in 2007 for San Diego State when people showed up to protest our NCAA tourney slight (one of the cooler moments in SU b'ball history), but I think the realistic attendance for SU/MSU in the NIT would be around 18-19K, and closer to 10-12K if we played a no-name opponent.

We got close to 27K in 2007 for San Diego State when people showed up to protest our NCAA tourney slight (one of the cooler moments in SU b'ball history), but I think the realistic attendance for SU/MSU in the NIT would be around 18-19K, and closer to 10-12K if we played a no-name opponent.

i agree. 25K is unheard of for NIT even. Most games across the country have less than 5K. I just think the Rak factor will boost things. That, and if we arent banned this year, it means we probably ARE for next year... so any tourney action will be welcomed.

Know what would be more hilarious?

Playing all our NIT games on the road.

The Billy Joel people have the Dome March 19-21, and the NCAA people take over right afterwards.

Always like the NCAA - if nothing else, a point of pride that you made it. I don't think the NIT gives any significant extra benefit in experience.

Is this a serious question? The NCAA tournament is what every player, coach and fan dreams about come March.

I agree with you but there's the argument that it would be more fun for to watch us make a long run through the NIT rather than get bounced in the round of 68 or 64.

The Billy Joel people have the Dome March 19-21, and the NCAA people take over right afterwards.
c0ck blocked by the piano man . . . the indignities just keep piling up

An example of poor thread hijacking:
we would need to go 6-4 minimally to even sniff the bubble. that is a tall task given our schedule even for a good SU team, which we are not.

We could easily win the NIT though... if the kids stay motivated. Rak sure would be.

An example of excellent thread hijacking:
c0ck blocked by the piano man . . . the indignities just keep piling up

And oh yeah, the NCAAT for sure.

Easy- the NCAAs. But if there is a ban I hope it happens this season. Lot more potential next season as opposed to this season.

Unfortunately this could very well happen.
In 2013, when Kentucky lost to Robert Morris in the first round of the NIT, that game was at the #8 seed RMU because Rupp Arena was already booked for the first 2 rounds of the NCAA Tournament.
And while the Billy Joel concert could theoretically be postponed, they're not going to upset 30,000+ ticketholders there.
While the Dome could host the first round on March 17 or 18, something tells me it will take more than a few days to set up the Dome for the concert. It's not like pulling into a regular arena where most of the rigging is already in place.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom