No Jalen Carey threads? | Syracusefan.com

No Jalen Carey threads?

I'm shocked.

Gave a decent 7 minutes. Almost a couple of oh shts but it worked out fine. You could sort of see him gain some confidence and it was good the team started to grab mo when he was on the court.

Yep he played well in his stint. So glad to see him get that layup and some confidence. He'll get some minutes tonight and would love for him to knock down another shot or two and force some tempo. If he can gain a little confidence through these couple games without Battle it may help in the dance.

Cuse!

yeah nice bounce back... 1-2... One assist, one turnover... One slow close out... Step in the right direction... Needs to value the ball more... If Battle plays tonite I don't think we will see him tonite...

The problem is the slow close out. If you don’t have JBs confidence and you leave open a guy having a career night you are glued to the bench.

There were definitely some positives last night. He brought some much needed energy to the team and looked ok. But that close out will be tough to overcome.

I don’t think he plays tonight either. It was good to see his number called though and not blow it. Had he traveled on that one it wouldn’t have been a good look and assuredly would have been yanked.

I don’t mind him shooting that shot. He was open, it was a good look, let it fly.

In a game when we needed someone to provide depth / eat some rotational minutes, he did fine. Didn't try to do too much, didn't make any mistakes.

I thought once he had that one drive where he scored on a layup that he might settle down, but glad we didn't need him to do more.

Hope he closes the year strong, to position himself for a larger role next year.

The problem is the slow close out. If you don’t have JBs confidence and you leave open a guy having a career night you are glued to the bench.

There were definitely some positives last night. He brought some much needed energy to the team and looked ok. But that close out will be tough to overcome.

The closeout wasn’t as slow as being made out. I think the issue was more being sucked down too far thus making it a long closeout. Thought his defense was fine otherwise, would like to see him play the high screen better.

He had to be a bundle of nerves when he got in to. Hard to play with that much pressure not to mess up

If Battle plays tonight, I hope he remembers how things went without him. Share the ball. Unless he is SuperBattle. Which is probably not likely in his condition. Sorry, wrong thread, I suppose.

I love the confidence, or ignorance, of youth. Have gotten no run, survive a missed travel, hit a nice drive...I'm jacking a three.

I was calling for him before the actual substitution. He did OK and really didn't hurt us to be honest. I will quote one word from the original poster - "MO" - you could feel a swing when he was in there. That doesn't show up on the stat sheet, but it did help us I think..

He showed more speed on that run out layup than I've seen from anyone all year. I love seeing that.

He also had one of his dribble into the lane, lose control of the ball to the other team plays that's kept him on the bench more than anything.

Frank's work on Wilson-Frame in the 2nd half, along with Buddy's shooting is what prevented Jalen from more minutes.

He could have been called for 2-3 travels... young man had some nice plays but needs to settle down and slow down by 5%

I think Buddy could have too. And I know there was at least one Pitt play where their guy just started tiptoeing the sideline with about 5 steps, no dribbling. Thankfully he ended up stepping on the line.

Refs weren't big on the travel calls last night. I think they imported them from the NBA.

Yeah, that driving layup Carey had, that's his game. Great to see.

One other thing - he's pretty spindly and his activity at the top of the zone can cause problems. I think he and Buddy will do well next season on the defensive end. Carey's disruptive and Buddy's really starting to read the passing lanes well.

I'm shocked.

Gave a decent 7 minutes. Almost a couple of oh shts but it worked out fine. You could sort of see him gain some confidence and it was good the team started to grab mo when he was on the court.

He definitely brings a change of pace and I agree, his last four mins or so were much better than his first few mins. the fact that he was up the court and then finished around the rim in an unsettled situation makes him a significantly different player than Frank, who hasn't really done that in four years (not a shot at Frank, just pointing out that they play very differently).

He showed more speed on that run out layup than I've seen from anyone all year. I love seeing that.

He also had one of his dribble into the lane, lose control of the ball to the other team plays that's kept him on the bench more than anything.

Frank's work on Wilson-Frame in the 2nd half, along with Buddy's shooting is what prevented Jalen from more minutes.

Yeah, that layup is all anyone should need to see to understand what Jalen can bring to the table that frank hasn't in four years. BUT, the TO and the steady play by Frank in the second half is why we're not seeing more of him. I would absolutely let Tyus rest and get healthy and take the opportunity to spot Jalen some minutes in this game and just see what it brings. Could be handy to have him pick up 8 or 9 more minutes in a game like this as we head into the dance.

It wasn't a slow close out. Pitt was rotating the ball and the top of the zone got sucked in. By the time the ball was kicked to the top of the perimeter, it was all but too late to get back there.

He was okay. Definitely didn't look comfortable at first. You can tell he wasn't really sure what his role in the offense was supposed to be.

That reverse lay up in transition was something I haven't seen from a Cuse player in like 4 years. That was nice.

Stats came out fine for him. Buddy and Frank were too good to take off the court though.

I'm shocked we can't find 5 to 10 minutes a game for him to get some confidence. Especially when our starting point guard is running so hot or cold that he has been benched in games. Yes, he is a bit of a spaz, but a lot of that is just him needing game time to calm down which isn't going to happen from the bench.

I'm not going to beat a dead horse here however... I'm glad he got some run and the more minutes we can find for him this month the better off we will be next year. I think between Buddy and Jalen, Frank needs to have an extremely short leash when he starts playing hero ball.

I don’t think he plays tonight either. It was good to see his number called though and not blow it. Had he traveled on that one it wouldn’t have been a good look and assuredly would have been yanked.

I don’t mind him shooting that shot. He was open, it was a good look, let it fly.
I agree with his taking the shot. Early in the game Buddy was hesitating just a bit and then forced to dribble and pass. Dolezaj is forever looking, hesitating and passing up the shots. For Carey to open the floor a bit he has to take the open shot. He hits a couple and the game will really open up to his style of play...blowing by the man guarding him.

I don’t mind3 him shooting that shot. He was open, it was a good look, let it fly.
He'll get a lot of run tonight if Battle doesn't play, and should continue to build on some of the positives from last night.

I'm shocked.

He had the one turnover, but I thought he did pretty well. He will certainly be needed tonight, so I was glad to seem him get some run. Defensively, he is outstanding. He's still rushing, but didn't force it quite as much last night.

I wasnt thrilled with how he answered the question about if he was transferring.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom