No Mark Emmert and the NCAA on the Hot Seat | Syracusefan.com

No Mark Emmert and the NCAA on the Hot Seat

What I don't understand is if the original meeting and letter happened 7/8 years ago, why didn't the authors go public? I can understand why victems have problems pursuing allagations but why do the victem rights group hold back. They are supossedly there to see the victems get heard!

What I don't understand is if the original meeting and letter happened 7/8 years ago, why didn't the authors go public? I can understand why victems have problems pursuing allagations but why do the victem rights group hold back. They are supossedly there to see the victems get heard!

The accused are entitled to face their accusers. Victims, being the accusers, are in the precarious position of having been dominated/controlled but the accused. Usually, it includes a psychological element as well as the physical and sexual elements of control.

The combination, and often the duration, make for an extremely tough barrier to cross when called upon to testify. Further, a good defense attorney will rip apart a victim/accuser's testimony as they are generally confused the first time they tell their story, though it may be corrected later, a good attorney will attempt to paint the victim/accuser of lying, causing a breakdown of testimony. Jurors then get confused, the seed of doubt is planted.

Thus, many s e xual assaults get plea bargained just to secure a conviction, some punishment and to mark the perpetrator as a s e x offender.

It sucks, but prosecutors know it is better than letting the S.O.B.s out with no conviction or punishment. Few victims can hold their own on cross.

To your question, victims rights groups can only go so far, too. They can support the victim but cannot force the victim to testify.

What really sucks is that so many people in power think they are helping a predator rehabilitate themselves when I truth they are merely facilitating the perpetrator, especially regarding child perps.

I hope that this massive hypocrite, Mark Emmett, perishes in flames over this.

His tenure at the helm of the NCAA has been an unmitigated disaster / embarrassment. Heads need to roll.
He did a great job managing that Yukon football stadium project though.

The accused are entitled to face their accusers. Victims, being the accusers, are in the precarious position of having been dominated/controlled but the accused. Usually, it includes a psychological element as well as the physical and s e xual elements of control.

The combination, and often the duration, make for an extremely tough barrier to cross when called upon to testify. Further, a good defense attorney will rip apart a victim/accuser's testimony as they are generally confused the first time they tell their story, though it may be corrected later, a good attorney will attempt to paint the victim/accuser of lying, causing a breakdown of testimony. Jurors then get confused, the seed of doubt is planted.

Thus, many s e xual assaults get plea bargained just to secure a conviction, some punishment and to mark the perpetrator as a s e x offender.

It sucks, but prosecutors know it is better than letting the S.O.B.s out with no conviction or punishment. Few victims can hold their own on cross.

To your question, victims rights groups can only go so far, too. They can support the victim but cannot force the victim to testify.

What really sucks is that so many people in power think they are helping a predator rehabilitate themselves when I truth they are merely facilitating the perpetrator, especially regarding child perps.
I understand the delicate position of victims and the discription u gave. What i was questioning was why did the rights group stop with a letter the NCAA as discribed. Once nothng appeared to be happening in 2010-11 why didn't they go further? Why did it take the recent MSU exposure for them the come forward an say "hey we knew about it in 2010". Aren't they helping perpetuate the problem they are suppose be fighting?

I understand the delicate position of victims and the discription u gave. What i was questioning was why did the rights group stop with a letter the NCAA as discribed. Once nothng appeared to be happening in 2010-11 why didn't they go further? Why did it take the recent MSU exposure for them the come forward an say "hey we knew about it in 2010". Aren't they helping perpetuate the problem they are suppose be fighting?

That is a fair question that can only be answered by the rights group themselves. Often, personnel changes, financial limits and volunteers' limitations, in addition to the victims' inhibitions to go public, hinder a group's effectiveness.

I am not sure I agree, at this point in time, that the group is "helping perpetuate the problem the problem they are supposed to be fighting," though. Again, what are the group's limits/capabilities? You could be right, but without facts indicating they knowingly dropped the ball and could have moved forward, I am unwilling to implicate them. Furthermore, if they have no hard evidence, they cannot even use the media to help investigate a case.

Last edited by a moderator:
We have nobody to blame but ourselves - we caved and cooperated. We misread the landscape and set the guideline on how not to handle an investigation in the 2000's.