No one mentioned it, but I think it was a jerk thing to say | Syracusefan.com

No one mentioned it, but I think it was a jerk thing to say

orangepassion

Nunzio Prophet
Dion Waiters just has possibly the happiest moment in his life getting picked #4 in the draft and of the 2 questions he's asked, one of them has to be a question about his maturity. is that really the time? Can't you just let him enjoy the moment without sticking that in.

Dion Waiters just has possibly the happiest moment in his life getting picked #4 in the draft and of the 2 questions he's asked, one of them has to be a question about his maturity. is that really the time? Can't you just let him enjoy the moment without sticking that in.

Not to mention, so much of the pre-draft analysis focused on his ostensible lack of maturity, when this past year demonstrated both what a team player he was and how coachable he was, willing to come off of the bench.

I'm not remotely worried about his attitude. Now, it's a bit of a gamble for Cleveland at #4, but if he pans out and adjusts to the NBA game like I think he can, it has the potential to pay huge dividends. I'm pulling for the kid.

The WKNR guys and pretty much every caller today on Cleveland sports radio were very against this pick when they were exploring this rumor. Fraschilla came on and of course endorsed Dion. The local guys were just focusing too much on the OSU game and the fact that he's a 6th man. I may call in tomorrow and set them straight. They were coming out with the whole not good enough to start BS and not realizing that JB was loyal to Scoop/Triche. I hope Dion does well.

The WKNR guys and pretty much every caller today on Cleveland sports radio were very against this pick when they were exploring this rumor. Fraschilla came on and of course endorsed Dion. The local guys were just focusing too much on the OSU game and the fact that he's a 6th man. I may call in tomorrow and set them straight. They were coming out with the whole not good enough to start BS and not realizing that JB was loyal to Scoop/Triche.
Honestly most NBA fans go off of mock drafts and what they see on ESPN.com.

Most mocks had Dion going 7-13, so to them that means he was a bad pick at 4.

One of my real good friends is a huge Cavs fan, and I've talked up Waiters since December (we've watched several 'Cuse games together). He was ecstatic with the pick.

It's like in the NFL when a team picks a OL from Wisconsin in the 1st round; since he wasn't slotted to go there in a mock it's automatically a bad pick; even though the fans know nothing about the player.

The WKNR guys and pretty much every caller today on Cleveland sports radio were very against this pick when they were exploring this rumor. Fraschilla came on and of course endorsed Dion. The local guys were just focusing too much on the OSU game and the fact that he's a 6th man. I may call in tomorrow and set them straight. They were coming out with the whole not good enough to start BS and not realizing that JB was loyal to Scoop/Triche. I hope Dion does well.

If that was the only time I'd watched Dion play [and I'm assuming that is probably the case for WKNR morons like Goldhammer, to say nothing of 99% of their NEO audience], I'd be unconvinced too.

When I lived in Cleveland, I used to like Kenny Rhoda's afternoon show. As a non-CLE / Ohio antihomer, he used to offer balanced perspectives compared to the lunacy on the other shows throughout the day. But I couldn't stand Munch or the afternoon guy who has Goldhammer as his side kick.

You really have to like what Cleveland is doing. Not that they had a lot of choice, but much like OKC they are building a solid core. Getting Zeller is a big pickup in the mold of a Nick Collison. Dion and Kyrie gives them a really solid backcourt. Add that to Tristan Thompson and they have some good ball players. I think this is a good spot for Dion to land. He has a chance to grow up alongside a young team.

You can look at it that way, or see it as a 'journalist's' way of illustrating that a kid overcame something, grew, and matured. It didn't seem like a 'shot' to me. These guys have to 'interview' all these kids and need something to say.

His quote was played again on SportsCenter tonight:

Question: "Maturity was a little bit of an issue earlier in your career at Syracuse...what made you turn the corner?"
Dion's answer: "Just Coach Boehiem being really hard on me. Going into college, I had everything my way. I went there as a boy and left as a man"

Great answer, Dion!

If that was the only time I'd watched Dion play [and I'm assuming that is probably the case for WKNR morons like Goldhammer, to say nothing of 99% of their NEO audience], I'd be unconvinced too.ou
If that was the only time I'd watched Dion play [and I'm assuming that is probably the case for WKNR morons like Goldhammer, to say nothing of 99% of their NEO audience], I'd be unconvinced too.

When I lived in Cleveland, I used to like Kenny Rhoda's afternoon show. As a non-CLE / Ohio antihomer, he used to offer balanced perspectives compared to the lunacy on the other shows throughout the day. But I couldn't stand Munch or the afternoon guy who has Goldhammer as his side kick.

Goldhammer is SUCH a charlatan. Tony Rizzo is the guy you're thinking of. Munch kind of sucks and Rhoda is pretty good like you say but he was against Dion, too.

Welcome to professional sports... If a question like that ruins his happy moment, he should have stayed another year.

I'm guessing he had his big boy pants on. He can certainly afford them now.

Every Cavs fan I've heard from is furious with how this draft went for them. I don't think Waiters was the right pick for them, but taking Waiters over Barnes or Drummond was not nearly as bad as trading #24, 33, and 34 for #17. That was just asinine.

His quote was played again on SportsCenter tonight:

Question: "Maturity was a little bit of an issue earlier in your career at Syracuse...what made you turn the corner?"
Dion's answer: "Just Coach Boehiem being really hard on me. Going into college, I had everything my way. I went there as a boy and left as a man"

Great answer, Dion!

Seems like a softball to me. I'd guess that his agent actually planted that question with the reporter in order to address it in a way that makes everyone involved feel good. He looks good for growing and he makes JB look like a molder of men. What else could you ask for?

Suspect that Cleveland was always targetting a 2 guard. They tried and failed to trade up to get the 2nd pick to get Beale. Their final stregy must have been take Beale if he fell to 4, Dion if he didn't.

Every Cavs fan I've heard from is furious with how this draft went for them. I don't think Waiters was the right pick for them, but taking Waiters over Barnes or Drummond was not nearly as bad as trading #24, 33, and 34 for #17. That was just asinine.

Yeah that seemed like a strange trade.

I don't have any problem taking Dion over Barnes or Drummond. Not in love with either guy

Yeah that seemed like a strange trade.

I don't have any problem taking Dion over Barnes or Drummond. Not in love with either guy

Personally, I think Dion will settle into a sixth man role if he catches onto a good team. I think Barnes can be a starting SF for a long time and be your #2 or 3 scorer on a good team. And Drummond has incredible potential. I'm a little surprised they didn't trade Anderson Varejao, because rumor was they had 5 offers on the table to move back into the lottery by trading him.

Not to mention, so much of the pre-draft analysis focused on his ostensible lack of maturity, when this past year demonstrated both what a team player he was and how coachable he was, willing to come off of the bench.

I'm not remotely worried about his attitude. Now, it's a bit of a gamble for Cleveland at #4, but if he pans out and adjusts to the NBA game like I think he can, it has the potential to pay huge dividends. I'm pulling for the kid.

We've talked about this forever, but this is another clear example of "choose which story you want to tell":

A. Kid has serious maturity issues with a lot of talent. Maturity issues will be a big hurdle.
B. Kid has proven that he can mature and take feedback. His coach challenged him and he responded with flying colors. The 4th pick is his reward.

Same exact story.

It pisses me off to frigging end that the media chose A with Dion. Sucks.

44cuse

Honestly most NBA fans go off of mock drafts and what they see on ESPN.com.

Most mocks had Dion going 7-13, so to them that means he was a bad pick at 4.

One of my real good friends is a huge Cavs fan, and I've talked up Waiters since December (we've watched several 'Cuse games together). He was ecstatic with the pick.

It's like in the NFL when a team picks a OL from Wisconsin in the 1st round; since he wasn't slotted to go there in a mock it's automatically a bad pick; even though the fans know nothing about the player.

Let's also be fair: it's a stretch at 4.

Not disparaging Dion, great for him. But it's a stretch at 4.

44cuse

I thought the interviewers could have been more tactful on a couple of occasions.

Don't really have a problem with the question to Dion, and he handled it well, laughed, and gave a great answer anyway.

to Thomas Robinson - interviewer starts off with something about the tragedies he has been through > makes him cry.

to MKG - struggles through the interview, then the other interviewer says to his mom - "Your son isn't always comfortable in situations where the spotlight is on him" or something like that.

Personally, I think Dion will settle into a sixth man role if he catches onto a good team. I think Barnes can be a starting SF for a long time and be your #2 or 3 scorer on a good team. And Drummond has incredible potential. I'm a little surprised they didn't trade Anderson Varejao, because rumor was they had 5 offers on the table to move back into the lottery by trading him.
That would be a disaster for Cleveland. You don't use the 4th pick in the draft for a 6th man (unless he's James Harden, I suppose).

Dion and Kyrie will make Cleveland forget LeBron ever played there. Dynasty potential

As for Cleveland fans, I have a gut feeling that the first time the Cavs win one and Dion has a very good game---and vaporizes the net with a slam or two---the entire fanbase will go from critics to fanatics on him.

Dion and Kyrie will make Cleveland forget LeBron ever played there. Dynasty potential

I meant to ask, was that your quote and you are owning it or are you mocking someone else?

44cuse