No wonder we are struggling to score many points | Syracusefan.com

No wonder we are struggling to score many points

Cuse315Pat

Scout Team
Out of 351 teams in D1. We are ranked 345th in number of possessions per game. Miami is 350, Clemson is 348. Pitt is 323. Talk about slow tempo. We are like.. the 2-3 zone version of Wisconsin

Out of 351 teams in D1. We are ranked 345th in number of possessions per game. Miami is 350, Clemson is 348. Pitt is 323. Talk about slow tempo. We are like.. the 2-3 zone version of Wisconsin

ACC is the new BigTen

Teams just dont get it you have to speed it up against us for more possessions to have more of a chance

Yeah, I don't feel like we're sitting on the ball by any means.

By the way, you used to be ottoinTHEgrotto, right? Why the change? Just curious...

Last edited:
Opponents seem to sit on the ball vs the Cuse in an attempt to limit our possesions, which is helped by Cuse shooting a good percentage from the field. Also, many teams this year have picked up Ennis with full court pressure to waste 10 seconds before we can get into our offense, which also helps slow the pace of the game down. Then there is the end of game situation where JB likes to cut down on possesions and drain the clock when having the lead.

Opponents seem to sit on the ball vs the Cuse in an attempt to limit our possesions, which is helped by Cuse shooting a good percentage from the field. Also, many teams this year have picked up Ennis with full court pressure to waste 10 seconds before we can get into our offense, which also helps slow the pace of the game down. Then there is the end of game situation where JB likes to cut down on possesions and drain the clock when having the lead.

Excellent post and good point about, "SU Stall Ball," to close out games.

By the way, you used to be ottoINthegrotto, right? Why the change? Just curious...
When we first migrated to this board names could only have a certain number of letters, so it shortened to OttoinGrotto, which totally works. Later on I think extra letters could be added, but then on the sidebar they aren't all on one line, so I decided to leave it to be.

Seems like we get nothing in fast-break points though

Only 7 points today off turnovers. We lead the ACC at just over 19 points a game scored off turnovers. According to ESPN, today was a third lowest total in the past three seasons.

I think we need to see ennis attack the moment we hit dry spells early on. Early on he did attack but then he did a nice job deferring. Then he deferred too much. If he attacks early he can stem the drought a little better and we maintain our advantage. I think this at times has been a common theme. We get to jump shot and difficult drive happy. That said.. we have been hit by some 3 pt barrages in our close games too

We don't struggle top score, mostly we are very efficient. We simply do not get a lot of possessions.

Only 7 points today off turnovers. We lead the ACC at just over 19 points a game scored off turnovers. According to ESPN, today was a third lowest total in the past three seasons.
Pts off turnovers and fast-break are not the same. I could count on one hand the number of outlet passes for dunks we have had this year. So divergent from the teams we have had the last few years. We get no easy buckets.

I think we need to see ennis attack the moment we hit dry spells early on. Early on he did attack but then he did a nice job deferring. Then he deferred too much. If he attacks early he can stem the drought a little better and we maintain our advantage. I think this at times has been a common theme. We get to jump shot and difficult drive happy. That said.. we have been hit by some 3 pt barrages in our close games too
Ive become a firm believer in Ennis' in-game tempo decisions. The kid has an internal clock that's been absolutely flawless. He knows just when to turn it on & the results speak for themselves, obviously.
W/out his takeover of at least 5 games this year, we likely lose all five. I choose to defer to the Creator on this one.

The points off turnovers stat is deceptive with this year's team. We score a lot on our next possession following a turnover, just not on a fast break after the turnover.

Well, we are a more deliberate team than in years past. Also take into account that we've played three ACC games against other slow-it-down teams, Miami twice and Pitt. We are starting to remind me of the two Butler teams who essentially walked the ball into two NCAA finals

... Then there is the end of game situation where JB likes to cut down on possesions and drain the clock when having the lead.

Well, I sure feel a hell of a lot better with the ball in his hands in those situations than I ever did with Scoop!

Last edited:
Ive become a firm believer in Ennis' in-game tempo decisions. The kid has an internal clock that's been absolutely flawless. He knows just when to turn it on & the results speak for themselves, obviously.
W/out his takeover of at least 5 games this year, we likely lose all five. I choose to defer to the Creator on this one.

I kinda feel that way too. I also think the reality is our perimeter defense is not as good this year which shows in our 3pt % defense. Certainly one of our weaker zone teams. Not a bad defensive team by any means.

"Syracuse had 51 possessions Saturday against Miami, their second fewest in a game in the last 15 seasons. The only time the Orange had fewer than 50 possessions was also against Miami, three weeks ago on January 4th" per ESPN