Nolan Cooney is not returning | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Nolan Cooney is not returning

Nah we need to get better where we're deficient.

Punter solves the wrong problem.
You know, it’s not an either or, one or the other, mutually exclusive type of situation.

If you really want to choose a position, I would say the 4th receiver on a passing down, they never get looked at anyways.

Yeah but he will probably catch onto a nfl team at some point next year, which will bring us to 3 active nfl punters
Yeah you're never gonna believe this but I actually don't care.

Also, I don't think he's on the same level as the other 2. I wouldn't say he will "probably" catch on to an NFL team.

You know, it’s not an either or, one or the other, mutually exclusive type of situation.

If you really want to choose a position, I would say the 4th receiver on a passing down, they never get looked at anyways.
It actually is an either or situation.

Every time a punter comes out to do their job it's because the team failed. We don't often think of it that way, and we're very forgiving of it, but it's true.

The punter is a human turnover. Fact.

Worst position on the field. I believe it's a good thing for coaches to have a bad punter that they don't trust and have little confidence in if it leads them to making higher probability decisions to make play calls on 3rd and 4th down to keep the ball and get more 1st downs and scores. Instead, coaches get starry eyed about "pinnin' 'em deep!" and crap like that, as if an oddly shaped ball will behave the way they expect.

In conclusion, I'll see punters in Hell.

It actually is an either or situation.

Every time a punter comes out to do their job it's because the team failed. We don't often think of it that way, and we're very forgiving of it, but it's true.

The punter is a human turnover. Fact.

Worst position on the field. I believe it's a good thing for coaches to have a bad punter that they don't trust and have little confidence in if it leads them to making higher probability decisions to make play calls on 3rd and 4th down to keep the ball and get more 1st downs and scores. Instead, coaches get starry eyed about "pinnin' 'em deep!" and crap like that, as if an oddly shaped ball will behave the way they expect.

In conclusion, I'll see punters in Hell.
Yeah, yeah, yeah...

But, those times when you do go 3-and-out in your own half, and everyone does, it’s nice to get a consistent 45+ yard punt with no return instead of a muffled 20-yarder.

Last edited:
I now envision 1,000 SyracuseFan fanatics scouring the Internet to find a Cooney to transfer in.

I now envision 1,000 SyracuseFan fanatics scouring the Internet to find a Cooney to transfer in.

As I posted on previous page -

WE ALREADY HAVE OUR NEXT PUNTER ON THE ROSTER.

The portal can sit this one out. ;)

No, I was referring to looking for another player named “Cooney” per the post above.

Yeah and if I remember correctly we were surprised cooney beat him out?

either way, best of luck to cooney, I think he gets a shot at the next level

If you’re worried about a punter, you should just give up and play pickle ball on Saturdays in the fall.

Yeah, yeah, yeah...

But, when those times when you do go 3-and-out in your own half, and everyone does, it’s nice to get a consistent 45+ yard punt with no return instead of a muffled 20-yarder.
I don't want to shock you too much, but I don't care.

Very good punter. Better person. Everything you want to see in a Syracuse athlete. He will be successful in whatever field he chooses to pursue. I wish him great success.

I believe he was also our holder for PATs and FGs and our kickoff guy. Did really well at all 3 things.

James will probably be asked to replace him in all 3 areas. They like to have the holder be a punter since the special teams guys practice on their own a lot.

I am sure there will be a couple of strong walk on punters competing for the job as well. Our track record here has to be attractive to top notch HS punters.

Thanks for all you have done for the SU football program Nolan (and for being willing to talk about getting cancer so young/serving as a role model for kids with cancer).
The Miami (OH) punter is in the portal and has interest in SU. He is the son of former NYG punter Brad Maynard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom