Non conference tv schedule is set | Syracusefan.com

Non conference tv schedule is set

Love the way they set up the ACC/Big 10 Challenge. The big boys (SU, UNC, Duke and Lville) get ESPN. The other ACC schools... get everything else.

Last edited:
Love the way they set up the ACC/Big 10 Challenge. The big boys (SU, UNC, Duke and Lville) get ESPN. The other ACC schools... get everything else.

that being said, michigan state got ESPN2

Last edited by a moderator:
Pride of place scheduling. Only games not covered are Carleton and Adrain.

I hope we get to see Carleton. Don't be surprised if SU lose their first game (exhibition). This will be Carleton's 13th game of the season. They have already blown out Memphis twice, beaten Vermont and Illinois. Their forward Scrubb scored 34 against Indiana on August 11. They will be more than ready for SU come Nov 2.

OK What channel is RSN? And I hate ESPN3

Depends on where you live. RSN is Regional Sports Networks, which are the cable affiliates. Around NYS that usually means 1 of YES or MSG/MSG+ or their overflows.

OK What channel is RSN? And I hate ESPN3

It varies per game. If you live in Skan, you should get any Syracuse game that says RSN. If you live in knoxville, you may not.

Pride of place scheduling. Only games not covered are Carleton and Adrain.

I hope we get to see Carleton. Don't be surprised if SU lose their first game (exhibition). This will be Carleton's 13th game of the season. They have already blown out Memphis twice, beaten Vermont and Illinois. Their forward Scrubb scored 34 against Indiana on August 11. They will be more than ready for SU come Nov 2.

KSU and Holy Cross are on ESPN3.

Except I'm talking about the Carleton game. Only scheduled for Time Warner. which I do not get.

Yikes, that is a pretty uninspiring non-con slate.
Probably the best OOC schedule in several years and it's not enough for you?
Cal, Texas, Loyola, Holy Cross, Michigan, Villanova, Long Beach, not to mention a very tough Carleton team to begin with.

Probably the best OOC schedule in several years and it's not enough for you?
Cal, Texas, Loyola, Holy Cross, Michigan, Villanova, Long Beach, not to mention a very tough Carleton team to begin with.
Best in several years? And are you really highlighting the likes of Loyola, Holy Cross and Long Beach St?

Best in several years? And are you really highlighting the likes of Loyola, Holy Cross and Long Beach St?
Not as good as some of the others but better than a few over the last several years. Remember we have a young, still learning their roles team. You don't want top 25 teams every night.

It's a good schedule. Cal, Texas or Iowa, Michigan, St John's, and Nova are all quality opponents. SU doesn't have a game versus a pre-season top 5 team like Duke, UNC, and Louisville has but Texas and Nova are rated ahead of all the schools mentioned below except Kentucky, Wisconsin, and Florida (and UNC can't play both Wisconsin and Florida).

Duke - Michigan St, Temple, Stanford or UNLV, Wisconsin, UConn
UNC - Oklahoma or UCLA, Florida or Gtown or Wisconsin, Iowa, Kentucky, Ohio St
Louisville - Minnesota, Ohio St, Indiana, Kentucky

If I'm looking at the glass as half full, there is potential to face three top 25 opponents in there, which does rate well compared to many past non-con slates. If I'm looking at it as half empty, those may be the only three teams that are capable of earning an at large berth in the ncaa tournament.

If I'm looking at it as half empty, those may be the only three teams that are capable of earning an at large berth in the ncaa tournament.
By definition, any opponent from the "one-bid leagues" will not get an at-large spot. So, that leaves the P5 opponents, plus Big East, AAC, A-10, Missouri Valley.

Based on history, Big East would be most likely, and that is covered with StJ/Nova. Based on power politics (football conflict), we will not play AAC. Based on geography, we are unlikely to play Valley teams, except in tournaments. A-10 is a Big East redundancy.

It's a good schedule for sure. This is a young and unproven team. Maybe not huge marquee names on the schedule but there are some experienced teams such as Texas, Iowa, and LA Tech is no joke. 29-3 last year (Conf USA), great backcourt, and nearly made it to the NIT F4.

By definition, any opponent from the "one-bid leagues" will not get an at-large spot. So, that leaves the P5 opponents, plus Big East, AAC, A-10, Missouri Valley.

Based on history, Big East would be most likely, and that is covered with StJ/Nova. Based on power politics (football conflict), we will not play AAC. Based on geography, we are unlikely to play Valley teams, except in tournaments. A-10 is a Big East redundancy.
Using common sense, any team that is ~ top 50 is capable of getting an at large berth, regardless of conference affiliation. And this was my point.

Cal may be capable of being in this company as well, if things fall right they could end up being a notable opponent on a tournament resume, as they've been a tail-end of the at large field team in recent years. St. John's, while being from a multi-bid league, does not have a track record of being a tournament team in recent history.

I love DirecTV but not having Time Warner Cable Sports blows sometimes -

David Byrne.gif