Northwestern 23 - Vandy 13 | Syracusefan.com

Northwestern 23 - Vandy 13

PhatOrange

Living Legend
and Vandy gave top ten South Carolina all they could handle last week.

Again, that Venric Mark was the best athlete on the field. Vandy looked great and physical vs the 'other' USC. This one surprised me a bit. I thought they would wear them down.

Vandy had 318 yards of total offense, and NW pulled out another win late in the 4th quarter.

They are a good team. We are better and let them off the hook.

2 weeks in a row we let the opponent off the hook. Players make mistakes but when the staff puts the team in a position to win, they have to let them decide the outcome. Forget the name of the team we played today, we should have won. Too many strategic and tactical mistakes.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

2 weeks in a row we let the opponent off the hook. Players make mistakes but when the staff puts the team in a position to win, they have to let them decide the outcome. Forget the name of the team we played today, we should have won. Too many strategic and tactical mistakes.

We should be 2-0. Today SU +27 was the easiest money in the world. I knew our D would step up. It's unfortunate that they run Smith 16 times.

Uh, saying we SHOULD have won today is stretching it, imo. Our guys played great but didn't make enough plays. As evident in threads tonight, we aren't good enough yet to overcome mistakes or some bad calls.

saying we 'should' have won is a stretch.

We should be 2-0. Today SU +27 was the easiest money in the world. I knew our D would step up. It's unfortunate that they run Smith 16 times.

Running Smith 16 times is so far down the list its not a factor.

Running Smith 16 times is so far down the list its not a factor.

PM me with your list please...

Uh, saying we SHOULD have won today is stretching it, imo. Our guys played great but didn't make enough plays. As evident in threads tonight, we aren't good enough yet to overcome mistakes or some bad calls.

Yes our guys did play great. They deserved to win.

We outmanned their O for awhile. Spruill and ShamWow were laying sticks in the 1st half...

I guess. Maybe. Make more plays. The D got fatigued out there. They were dealing with two 1st round NFL draft pick WRs and a future stud TE. Kobena has to make that catch, Nassib has to make better decisions, etc. Coaches can't hold their hands. Would've been worse sans delay.

I guess. Maybe. Make more plays. The D got fatigued out there. They were dealing with two 1st round NFL draft pick WRs and a future stud TE. Kobena has to make that catch, Nassib has to make better decisions, etc. Coaches can't hold their hands. Would've been worse sans delay.

Yeah. I don't know if USC will ultimately live up to being the #2 team in the country, but they are clearly top 10, with tons of offensive talent. I'm greatly encouraged that we kept the game close into the 4th quarter--this was a game where plenty of posters predicted a blowout.

It was exciting as hell when we scored that TD to cut the lead to 21-16. So I suppose it is possible that if a play or two had happened differntly, we might have won. I just don't think that we "deserved" to win. USC got some big plays--that punt return, the 70+ yard reverse, the 41 yard rush, etc. that set them up for scores. We were outclassed athletically by just that much for it to make a difference [dammit]. And even so, we played competitively.

Solid game plan, and our players rose to the occasion for the most part. USC is just that much better than us with their offensive skilled talent. And we still made it close. Great effort by our players today, win or lose.

Yeah. I don't know if USC will ultimately live up to being the #2 team in the country, but they are clearly top 10, with tons of offensive talent. I'm greatly encouraged that we kept the game close into the 4th quarter--this was a game where plenty of posters predicted a blowout.

It was exciting as hell when we scored that TD to cut the lead to 21-16. So I suppose it is possible that if a play or two had happened differntly, we might have won. I just don't think that we "deserved" to win. USC got some big plays--that punt return, the 70+ yard reverse, the 41 yard rush, etc. that set them up for scores. We were outclassed athletically by just that much for it to make a difference [dammit]. And even so, we played competitively.

Solid game plan, and our players rose to the occasion for the most part. USC is just that much better than us with their offensive skilled talent. And we still made it close. Great effort by our players today, win or lose.

Yep. Can't agree more. I also am not sure if USC is the no. 2 team right now and I follow them almost as closely as I follow 'Cuse. Overall team speed was not a glaring mismatch. SU was outclassed by Lee, Woods, Grimble, Redd maybe, but it did not look lopsided at ALL in general out there. If SU was consistently making plays against USC, what is Oregon going to do to them?

Yep. Can't agree more. I also am not sure if USC is the no. 2 team right now and I follow them almost as closely as I follow 'Cuse. Overall team speed was not a glaring mismatch. SU was outclassed by Lee, Woods, Grimble, Redd maybe, but it did not look lopsided at ALL in general out there. If SU was consistently making plays against USC, what is Oregon going to do to them?

And by the transitive property, what are we going to do to teams [on both sides of the ball] who aren't as talented as USC?

And by the transitive property, what are we going to do to teams [on both sides of the ball] who aren't as talented as USC?

Yep...and like you mentioned before...in the trenches, the OL and DL too. Big strides!

Yep...and like you mentioned before...in the trenches, the OL and DL too. Big strides!

Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, has been more critical of the OL as I have been the past 7 years. I am so greatly impressed [and surprised, to be honest] with how they've performed. And this is without the guy that is universally regarded as our top performer in that unit playing. And for all the skepticism about how they performed in the first game given that NW isn't a defensive juggernaut, they protected well against a team this week with tremendous defensive talent in USC.

They went from worst ever under GRob to decidely subpar under Marrone, and made a huge jump toward at least average this year. And we return 9 out of our top 11 next year--the future looks bright.

On DL, MPB has made an impact. Not hard to envision how he got by with just athleticism at the JUCO level; and I think once he gets more experience and refines his technique, how he might have an increasingly larger impact on the defense. I'm also encouraged by how the DT's are holding up at the point of attack. Big difference from last year. In 2010, when we had a pretty good defense, the DTs were servicable [Perkins, Lewis, etc.] but quite unspectacular. The coaching staff has really done a nice job infusing talent into the pipeline at DT. Can't wait to see Wayne Williams stuffing the run down the road!

Despite how some would like to pretend otherwise, the game is still won and lost at the line of scrimmage, regardless of what system you run on either side of the ball. We're trending positively on both sides of the ball. In an impressive way.

USC has 2 1,000+ yard WR's, 2 1,000+ yard RB, and a heisman favorite QB. Nobody should beat USC. The fact that we stood toe-to-toe with USC is what matters. We will not always win, but we are a force, and anyone who doesn't see that is an $%#@&.

USC has 2 1,000+ yard WR's, 2 1,000+ yard RB, and a heisman favorite QB. Nobody should beat USC. The fact that we stood toe-to-toe with USC is what matters. We will not always win, but we are a force, and anyone who doesn't see that is an $%#@&.

100% correct pregame.

I thought Smith made several tough runs with pretty good results, but haven't seen the stats.

How the hell did we let USC off the hook? They had the lead the whole game! They are clearly the better team.

Should have won? You people are nuts.

They are one of the elite teams in the country, with studs all over the field.

That fact that SU was able to play with them is admirable and a great sign of progress.

But should have won, nonsense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom