Not a coincidence... | Syracusefan.com

Not a coincidence...

orangenirvana

Hall of Fame
12 mins and change left in the 2nd quarter...

4th and 1 at LOU 16 Ryan Nassib rush for 2 yards to the Lvile 14 for a 1ST down.

The offense would go on to score the go-ahead touchdown on that drive and outscore Louisville from that point on 35-16.

Good call, coach.

Looks like a man capable of learning from his mistakes, which bodes well.

I think DM realizes that if you are going to beat a very good team and keep your bowl hopes alive, he has to have faith in his team and play aggressively. He should retire the NFL mentality of "taking the points" and playing for "manageable third downs" for the rest of his career.

We were successful running all game. Do you think that might weigh into his decision? Earlier in the year with a very shaky O-line the choice may have been different.

We were successful running all game. Do you think that might weigh into his decision? Earlier in the year with a very shaky O-line the choice may have been different.

Possibly ... that and the fact that he also realizes the team has it's back against the wall and need a no doubt W to keep Bowl hopes alive ... I'm sure that would change his approach as well ... if its early season and not necessarily a "must win" he might hesitate.

I think DM realizes that if you are going to beat a very good team and keep your bowl hopes alive, he has to have faith in his team and play aggressively. He should retire the NFL mentality of "taking the points" and playing for "manageable third downs" for the rest of his career.
I think DM has demonstrated that more aggressive stance in multiple games since mid-season, & that's why he should be extended immediately.

By "earlier in the year," do you mean seven days prior?

12 mins and change left in the 2nd quarter...

4th and 1 at LOU 16 Ryan Nassib rush for 2 yards to the Lvile 14 for a 1ST down.

The offense would go on to score the go-ahead touchdown on that drive and outscore Louisville from that point on 35-16.

Good call, coach.

Looks like a man capable of learning from his mistakes, which bodes well.

That's not the first time they have done that.

More myths.

Agree with Go, lots of myths about our 4th down play calling. Earlier in the year some could be heard complaining to go for the points. This argument has gone back and forth all season. All I know is that his calls are only a problem when we 1. get stuffed. 2. miss the field goal. Pretty easy to pick apart plays that don't work out.

Possibly ... that and the fact that he also realizes the team has it's back against the wall and need a no doubt W to keep Bowl hopes alive ... I'm sure that would change his approach as well ... if its early season and not necessarily a "must win" he might hesitate.
Are you saying that Doug is not that much interested in winning games unless he has to? :confused:

Are you saying that Doug is not that much interested in winning games unless he has to? :confused:

Yes that is exactly what I am saying ... good lord you are really reaching ... what I am saying is that the stakes for winning this game were much higher than that of winning a week 1 or 2 game ... is it that hard to understand?

Krautman's inconsistancy this year probably also played a part in the decision.

Agree with Go, lots of myths about our 4th down play calling. Earlier in the year some could be heard complaining to go for the points. This argument has gone back and forth all season. All I know is that his calls are only a problem when we 1. get stuffed. 2. miss the field goal. Pretty easy to pick apart plays that don't work out.
The return of Pugh and the subsequent overall improvement of the OL makes decisions like these much easier. Think back to where we were before JP's return...the right side of the OL was a disaster. Now we have two young, very promising players starting on the right side.

They didn't work out because they were dumb calls. The probability of "don't work out" was overwhelming in those decisions.

But alas, my hope is that we're past that now.

His decision against Cincinnati was not a myth.

Here's the point, they have gone for it at times this year, and at times haven't. To assert otherwise is a myth. This week wasn't some radical change in approach.

Decisions are made because of time, field position, score, how the offense is playing and how they are moving the opponent off the ball.

Here's the point, they have gone for it at times this year, and at times haven't. To assert otherwise is a myth. This week wasn't some radical change in approach.

Decisions are made because of time, field position, score, how the offense is playing and how they are moving the opponent off the ball.
we don't know yet but hopefully that decision making is simpler now. Just go for it

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Before that play, only twice in nine games had Marrone gone for it on 4th down when the team wasn't in desperation mode. That's 2 out of 59 4th down plays (68 total - 9 obvious calls).

And both plays were against Stony Brook inside their own 5. (Both were the correct calls despite the results.)

Going for it on 4th down in the 2nd quarter is a radical approach when one considers Marrone's decision-making throughout the season.

Maybe what you say is true. But I'm more optimistic than that.

I thought the decision had more to do with DMs stated belief that we were going to need to put at least 28 points on the board to win. Our ability to move the ball on the ground up to that point was no doubt a consideration as well. I think the situation with Krautman might have tempted Marrone to attempt the short FG to bolster Krautman's confidence. If we were locked in a defensive struggle, the smart move might have been to take the 3 points, but against a potent offense like Louisville, it was clearly the right choice.

Krautman's inconsistancy this year probably also played a part in the decision.

Well, the offensive line has really improved with the return of Pugh. That's huge.

I thought the decision had more to do with DMs stated belief that we were going to need to put at least 28 points on the board to win. Our ability to move the ball on the ground up to that point was no doubt a consideration as well. I think the situation with Krautman might have tempted Marrone to attempt the short FG to bolster Krautman's confidence. If we were locked in a defensive struggle, the smart move might have been to take the 3 points, but against a potent offense like Louisville, it was clearly the right choice.

But isn't the goal always to score as many points as possible?

The Cinci game was an offensive flurry. Yet he still preferred the FG.

His perspective changed.

I thought the decision had more to do with DMs stated belief that we were going to need to put at least 28 points on the board to win.
Yeah, I think in college the best philosophy is to just assume that you can't rely on your defense for anything. You have to score every time you have possession. Teams that coach that way score more points.

COINCIDENCE?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

The Cinci game was an offensive flurry. Yet he still preferred the FG.

His perspective changed.
Actually, the goal is to score more points than your opponent.

If it had been the Minnesota, Rutgers or Pitt games, I think it would have been really tempting to take the 3 points.

Well, the offensive line has really improved with the return of Pugh. That's huge.
Absolutely. I never said it hasn't or that it wasn't a factor. There's always multiple factors that are considered, and I'm sure the o-line's improved play was one of them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom