Not a good choice of words by board hero Tom Izzo in his presser. | Syracusefan.com

Not a good choice of words by board hero Tom Izzo in his presser.

Cusefan0307

Red recruits the ACC!
Regarding Michigan States struggles and their 12-9 start. Did he quote the wrong coach? I swear this is Jim Boeheim.

“I don’t care about the fan base. … If people want to complain, I don’t care. I really don’t. I know what I’m doing, I know what this team is doing. I know what they’re going through. And nobody knows what they’re going through because nobody’s had to do it. … Am I going to worry about what somebody says that has no clue what this team has gone through and what we’re doing? I’m not going to worry about that. I feel their disappointment. … I thought the fans that were there [Tuesday] did a great job. If some are at the local pubs and are complaining, that’s their freedom of speech. It’s a great country.”

Tom Izzo destroys his clipboard and then calls out Michigan State's fans | FOX Sports

I love it. He starts off a little sensitive like Boeheim would (of course he cares about the fan base), but the candor is great. I wish Boeheim would sometimes defend himself by saying something like "I know what I'm doing." That's be a solid response to certain criticism, better than the usual lashing out.

He's frustrated. Rarely do his emotions get the better of him. He's almost always cordial to the media, thick-skinned, etc.

I think we sometimes get frustrated with Boeheim over something like this. Pressers are part of the job description. Just stand up there and take it. But, back to what I meant to say re: Donna's question last night. Valid question she asked about turning up the effort to grab more rebounds and such. He then gets all defensive and mad claiming they always give effort and try. THAT is baloney. Turn on any tape of every game (certainly the losses) and we can see all game our guys watching rebounds and watching guys go around them to grab offensive boards. Not cool, man.

I love it. He starts off a little sensitive like Boeheim would (of course he cares about the fan base), but the candor is great. I wish Boeheim would sometimes defend himself by saying something like "I know what I'm doing." That's be a solid response to certain criticism, better than the usual lashing out.

He articulated better than Boeheim ever would/could.

He articulated better than Boeheim ever would/could.

I don't agree with this. JB can be extremely thoughtful, engaging, and funny [in an awkward sort of way] when he wants to be, and he often is during interviews. He just isn't at press conferences -- something that seems to date back to the press conference after the Georgetown game when Michael Graham had the getting tossed call reversed, and JB threw a chair. Since then, he hasn't bothered to hide his overt disdain for some in the media.

But on the other hand, on his weekly shows, the interviewer can ask him a question, and he'll provide a thoughtful answer--often times ones that last several minutes and go into a lot of depth / detail. He's also terrific when he's interviewed by national media guys [like on PTI].

He's a highly articulate guy. He just doesn't seem to have patience for press conferences.

I don't agree with this. JB can be extremely thoughtful, engaging, and funny [in an awkward sort of way] when he wants to be, and he often is during interviews. He just isn't at press conferences -- something that seems to date back to the press conference after the Georgetown game when Michael Graham had the getting tossed call reversed, and JB threw a chair. Since then, he hasn't bothered to hide his overt disdain for some in the media.

But on the other hand, on his weekly shows, the interviewer can ask him a question, and he'll provide a thoughtful answer--often times ones that last several minutes and go into a lot of depth / detail. He's also terrific when he's interviewed by national media guys [like on PTI].

He's a highly articulate guy. He just doesn't seem to have patience for press conferences.

I think he is just more frank in general as a speaker. Not a motivational speaker type or a particularly articulate one. His verbage is nothing unique and redundant ("get better" and "tremendous" over and over). Now, I think his dry humor is priceless. We can agree to disagree.

Last edited:
Well I'm sure the MSU fan base is going full meltdown just like you see here. Number 2 seed loss in the first round last year and a path of 15, 10, 11, 1 to the final four blown followed up by a 12-9 start just like we've had. Plus a drought of FFs by Izzo standards. I'd bet they are having the same existential program-is-doomed attitude invading their thinking just like we are. On top of it they lost TT and AW3 to us, a program that even our own fans claim is a dumpster fire. Not a good look!

Regarding Michigan States struggles and their 12-9 start. Did he quote the wrong coach? I swear this is Jim Boeheim.

“I don’t care about the fan base. … If people want to complain, I don’t care. I really don’t. I know what I’m doing, I know what this team is doing. I know what they’re going through. And nobody knows what they’re going through because nobody’s had to do it. … Am I going to worry about what somebody says that has no clue what this team has gone through and what we’re doing? I’m not going to worry about that. I feel their disappointment. … I thought the fans that were there [Tuesday] did a great job. If some are at the local pubs and are complaining, that’s their freedom of speech. It’s a great country.”

Tom Izzo destroys his clipboard and then calls out Michigan State's fans | FOX Sports
I like Tom Izzo more now.

Well I'm sure the MSU fan base is going full meltdown just like you see here. Number 2 seed loss in the first round last year and a path of 15, 10, 11, 1 to the final four blown followed up by a 12-9 start just like we've had. Plus a drought of FFs by Izzo standards. I'd bet they are having the same existential program-is-doomed attitude invading their thinking just like we are. On top of it they lost TT and AW3 to us, a program that even our own fans claim is a dumpster fire. Not a good look!
Sad!!

I have a good news and bad news for Tom. If he needs a hug, I know where he can get one. But he has to fly to Los Angeles

He's been to the final four 7 times since 1999 and as recently as 2015.

No coach is immune to incessant whining from the fans when losses pile up.

Izzo didn't say anything wrong.
I think he shouldn't have said it. There's nothing good to come out of saying you don't care about the fans. He made a mistake, it happens.

I think he shouldn't have said it. There's nothing good to come out of saying you don't care about the fans. He made a mistake, it happens.
Disagree. Sometimes it needs to be said. SOME fans feel entitled to success at all times, and when that doesn't happen, they lash out...sometimes stupidly.
Izzo's cred doesn't need to be questioned, his success speaks for itself. The imbecile sitting behind a keyboard, hating at full speed, is who he's addressing, and rightfully so, IMO.
He could've phrased it better, but he's earned a pass.

Disagree. Sometimes it needs to be said. SOME fans feel entitled to success at all times, and when that doesn't happen, they lash out...sometimes stupidly.
Izzo's cred doesn't need to be questioned, his success speaks for itself. The imbecile sitting behind a keyboard, hating at full speed, is who he's addressing, and rightfully so, IMO.
He could've phrased it better, but he's earned a pass.
True, but I think when he talks about the fan base, he's not just referring to the imbecile at a keyboard.

Their last final four was in 2015. They cut down the nets in The Dome. I mean damn izzos good but he doesn't make it EVERY year.

He's been to the final four 7 times since 1999 and as recently as 2015.

You guys are proving my point. We have made two Final Fours in the last 5 years and our fans are falling all over themselves to figure out reasons why those aren't valid, or were flukes, or whatever. I'm pointing out that MSU fans can and probably are doing the same things. And yes MSU is in a drought of FF's by Izzo standards. He showed up in 1995 and then between 1999 and 2010, they went to 6 final fours - a rate of greater than 50% of the time. They have only been to 1 final four since then (and assuming they don't do it this year), that is a rate of 17%. A monumental drop off by anyone's measure. And I am not talking about anyone, I am talking about their fans that no doubt have plenty of reason to claim they are seeing their basketball world crumbling down around them.

You guys are proving my point. We have made two Final Fours in the last 5 years and our fans are falling all over themselves to figure out reasons why those aren't valid, or were flukes, or whatever. I'm pointing out that MSU fans can and probably are doing the same things. And yes MSU is in a drought of FF's by Izzo standards. He showed up in 1995 and then between 1999 and 2010, they went to 6 final fours - a rate of greater than 50% of the time. They have only been to 1 final four since then (and assuming they don't do it this year), that is a rate of 17%. A monumental drop off by anyone's measure. And I am not talking about anyone, I am talking about their fans that no doubt have plenty of reason to claim they are seeing their basketball world crumbling down around them.

Lot's of fans get mad when someone makes excuses when we lose, but I see a lot of those same fans making excuses for other schools when they lose. Specifically MSU(Izzo), Texas(Smart), Duke(They had injuries)...etc... Can't have it both ways IMO.

in response to izzo yelling at Michigan folk, 5k more cnyers will never go to another Cuse athletic event.