Not enough firepower | Syracusefan.com

Not enough firepower

heresjohnny88

2nd String
The old cliche about the NBA is that it's a "make or miss league." The same could be said about college ball. Sounds simple, but that's really all basketball is. Can you put the ball in the basket? And we simply cannot. I think, for this reason, Jardine was very under-appreciated. When we needed a basket, he delivered. The game is often decided not in the final minute, but at the 4-5 minute mark. Scoop hit so many of those momentum-swinging shots. But because he had a few too many turnovers, fans got sick of him.

This is also where we sorely miss Dion. His ability to either get to the rim with ease, or create space for a shot, was so incredibly valuable. Think about that Wisconsin tournament game last year. As Wisconsin kept hitting 3 after 3, we calmly weathered the storm, mostly because of Dion and his ability to put the ball in the basket. Similar to Scoop. If this year's team had played in that tournament game, I have NO doubts that we would have lost.

I kept thinking this as Marquette made their late-game run tonight. It's just so disheartening to watch us possession after possession fail to put the ball in the basket. We just don't have that one guy (Dion or Scoop, for example) that can get us a basket when we desperately need it. Sounds simple, but it's the truth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom