Not over yesterday | Syracusefan.com

Not over yesterday

NKR1978

Living Legend
I honestly thought I was over this feeling after losses. I have been in a bit of a daze over this since the end of regulation. Honestly haven't felt this bad about a loss since Butler.

That game was such a kick to the balls.

This was a bad one, but I've felt much worse in more recent games, particularly tourney games - bc the expectations for this team are not really high.

Any time your team has the lead for 39 minutes and 50 seconds and then loses it's going to be haunting. Can't believe we had a 5 point lead with 24 seconds left and end up losing. Bothered me all night.

I honestly thought I was over this feeling after losses. I have been in a bit of a daze over this since the end of regulation. Honestly haven't felt this bad about a loss since Butler.

Im with ya, brother.

I react on two levels. We are hoping this team can develop into a good team and this performance suggests we have made some significant strides. We now need to play at or near this level on a consistent basis.

The other level is that we can't accumulate too many losses and stay off the bubble. This was also a chance for a marquee win that could really have helped us and we didn't get it.

I therefore feel encouraged but disappointed. It's not comparable to a an NCAA tournament game in a year when we are thinking we could get to the Final Four and maybe win another title but lose in the Sweet 16 or the second round.

Last edited:
I'm over it but it was pretty tough to take.

The most important game on your schedule is always your next one. Excelsior, Orange fans. :)

It reminded me so much of this:

That game is very similar. Somehow, Greg Anthony "slipped," which enabled Reggie to get the ball and another shot.
Cooney "slipped" as well.

And another thing, I'm not a big blame the ref guy, but if you're going to call that second foul on Xmas, then you have to call the trip/push at the end of regulation, when all the refs are looking at the inbound attempt.
Xmas did initiate contact, then a second later, the dude fell. Then another second elapsed, and the whistle blew.
So, if the defender makes contact and the offensive player falls, especially at end of game, be consistent and make the call.

I enjoyed the recap from the Post Standard - Josh Hart tripped Cooney. And Xmas was hacked trying to catch the ball. I don't recall them making big deals about non-calls in their recaps before, but it definitely needed to be written.

On to Colgate.

I consider Saturday the most devastating regular season SU loss since that huge lead we blew in the Dome against Pitt in 2008. Ironically, the killer play in that game was a blown inbounds pass in the final seconds, as well.

This was tough to watch. I can only imagine what it was like for the players. Especially Silent G. He was absolutely devastated in the locker room. Syracuse deserved this win.

I wasn't giving them any chance in this one. They played really hard and with poise until the last minute or so. On the contrary, I was not surprised last season as I had Dayton beating SU when I filled out the brackets. This, Pitt, and Butler were tough pills to swallow.

Last edited:
I consider Saturday the most devastating regular season SU loss since that huge lead we blew in the Dome against Pitt in 2008. Ironically, the killer play in that game was a blown inbounds pass in the final seconds, as well.

Oh the Paul Harris Pitt game... sigh...

Even more ironic - the score of that game was 82-77 as well...its the anti 81-78

What I found odd about the Paul Harris Pitt game is that usually refs are ready to call the foul when the defender gets close to the offensive player at that point in the game. They know that is what the losing team is trying to do. They're not so much worried about how much contact occurs, as they are about stopping the clock ASAP. Paul Harris held onto the ball, waiting to get fouled and waiting for the whistle. But, as we found out, he had the "butteriest" (is that a word) fingers on the team and Pitt was able to snatch it from him without much contact.
And the rest was history. That game bothered me more that Saturday's game.

I'm not usually a huge conspiracy guy - but indulge me.

Fox has one of their new mid-major version of the BE teams playing against an ESPN league big boy team - who is ranked and unbeaten. It just smells funny.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom