Not putting a defender on the in bound | Syracusefan.com

Not putting a defender on the in bound

Halfmooncuse

Hall of Fame
is a classic Jim B move. One that goes against just about what every other coach would do. And it has cost us in the past. I would imagine that the Digger would let evry one know how ND beat us with this JB strategy.

yes. I remember losing a lot of games with seconds on the clock and teams throwing it the length of the court. Give it a rest.

is a classic Jim B move. One that goes against just about what every other coach would do. And it has cost us in the past. I would imagine that the Digger would let every one know how ND beat us with this JB strategy.

I have always hated that especially when they have to go long and can't run the baseline. I would have used Southerland.

I have always hated that especially when they have to go long and can't run the baseline. I would have used Southerland.

Yup, if they can't run the baseline, absolutely no reason not to cover the inbounder with James.

Always hated that strategy. If you're inbunding the ball, would you rather have a clear view or James Southerland jumping up and down with his arms flying around in front of you? The extra guy is usually so scared to foul he doesn't do anything, anyway.

I thought it was great we ended up 5 on 3 when we ignored the guy ohanging out bu mid court.

Yup, if they can't run the baseline, absolutely no reason not to cover the inbounder with James.
Or Keita. It's one thing if the guy can move, but when he is stationary you need to cover him.

That was surprising. I thought Boeheim was fully in the "defend the inbounds" camp. Glad it didn't hurt us.

I'll never understand his logic in not putting a man on the ball. The best defense is to disrupt the inbounds pass. But he'll never change.

Me too.

Talked to my dad on the phone during the timeout, and we both said that same thing.

if i had done it, i would have used BAYE

Personally, I would have put Keita on the inbounds and just had him jump around like an idiot. I'm not really sure what the 5th guy past midcourt was doing, since UL got the pass off and had a guy open for a 3. Luckily, he bobbled it and we won. Would have rather had somebody harrassed the inbounding and gone straight up on the 4. Oh well.

JB usually does have someone guard the in bounds. Not this time though, maybe because there was only a second left and he figured it might be better to be able to get a hand in the face of a possible shooter? In bounder was just going for Hail Mary anyhow and there isn't much chance you'll block that pass. Just guessing..

Didn't JB watch the 1972 olympic finals, guard the inbounds twice, win, don't guard the inbounds, lose

Always hated that strategy. If you're inbunding the ball, would you rather have a clear view or James Southerland jumping up and down with his arms flying around in front of you? The extra guy is usually so scared to foul he doesn't do anything, anyway.
Plus, Louisville was out of timeouts, so if we were defending, it would have created even more havoc.

It's a coaches call! Some do some don't. The line of reasoning for many coaches is the time left on the clock, if there is 1.4 seconds on the clock what will kill you is the long in bounds pass, which even with a guy in your face you can still chuck it deep, thus drop the extra guy, create the jump ball at the other end, get the scrum going and the game is over, (typically what happens )with 3-4 seconds the plan changes because the offense can catch the ball dribble make a quick move and still get a shot. A pass to even a few feet in front of half court can kill you, even with a guy in your face you know well enough to chuck it deep and at that point you have 4 on 4 and not 4 on 5... The odds are thennot in your favor, you play the percentages. IMO, it was 100% the right call. you allow the 15 foot in bounds pass and give a 60 footer to win the game.

Even if Keita was guarding, I could throw the ball 60-70 feet and hope for the best because that is pretty much what it amounts to

I never understood the logic in giving the inbounder close to a 100% chance of throwing the pass he wants to throw.
It seems to make even less sense when the inbounding team is out of timeouts and you can put a 7-foot guy with long arms in front of him.

Rick Pitino may have learned that lesson when he let Grant Hill throw a perfect pass to Christian Laettner.

You can argue that it's better to use an extra defender and "sandwich" the likely pass recipient.
I'd rather try to foil the play before it even starts.

Not a fan of this either...

I never understood the logic in giving the inbounder close to a 100% chance of throwing the pass he wants to throw.
It seems to make even less sense when the inbounding team is out of timeouts and you can put a 7-foot guy with long arms in front of him.

Rick Pitino may have learned that lesson when he let Grant Hill throw a perfect pass to Christian Laettner.

You can argue that it's better to use an extra defender and "sandwich" the likely pass recipient.
I'd rather try to foil the play before it even starts.
I said this before that you have to take into consideration that the inbounder was frozen. He wasn't allowed to move. That should cement that you definitely put a long body in front of him. I felt like the Giants vs the Patriots on the last play of the Super Bowl. Just like the Giants, we were lucky it didn't backfire.

is a classic Jim B move. One that goes against just about what every other coach would do. And it has cost us in the past. I would imagine that the Digger would let evry one know how ND beat us with this JB strategy.

I would have used Baye but maybe JB thought he'd toss something at Pitino that
He wasn't expecting

Speaking of Pitino, I thought the post-game handshake was pretty brief for two guys who are friends

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom