Not So Special Teams | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Not So Special Teams

The punting was bad, yesterday.

The kickoffs were not up to standards.

The KO return team was not to standard.

Special teams didn't help as much as they should but they did not lose the game on their own.

SU dominated the third quarter with three long drives. What should have been 21 points was 6 points and a pick six. Instead of 21-0 in the third quarter it was 6-7. Not capitalizing on the dominant play cost the game.

To be sure, SU was down 10 to 12 starters due to injury or moving on while Minny was down just 1. Life happens. Our 2s 3s and 4s beat the #2 defense in the B1G but failed to punch it in when we had the chance.

We also played without the two coordinators who helped the team get to the Pinstripe Bowl in the first place. On paper, Minny should have been favored by several touchdowns.

He's got a chip shot stroke. He'll have to revamp his technique to have any chance at the NFL.
no chance at the NFL.. is there any NFL kicker right now with under 55 yd range on their best kicks? he kicks like a 75 yr old plays golf. And some teams have punters who can kick off but if they dont they he cant go to that team either as he cant reach the end zone on kickoffs from the 30.

Baron did a very good job as a holder and that move helped Smytz be more consistent than last year.

Pena made some "interesting" decisions this year and was a bit streaky.

Punting...we all know that struggled, especially the last half of the year.

Kick offs all year were wonderful end zone shots but not so much yesterday which would have helped.
Regarding yesterday's kickoffs: I am willing to bet that field conditions affected the plant foot and thus the distance on the kicks.

What he did with Szymt earned it alone
Coverage overall was better
We missed on the punter we recruited
Agreed. Punting was beyond awful. Kicker and kick offs were excellent save the one yesterday.

Regarding yesterday's kickoffs: I am willing to bet that field conditions affected the plant foot and thus the distance on the kicks.
Agreed but they might have tried more of a line drive kick vs trying to get it out of the endzone

Yeah and you shouldn't...
Yeah, I would love to see the data that informs that strategy. My guess is that more than 50% of balls that land inside the 10 go into the end zone.

Coaches must have nightmares about being pinned at the 1 yard line even though it rarely results in safeties and the chance of a successful drive is probably not significantly different than if one starts a drive at the 8 yard line. Although, I’m just guessing. I have not seen the data.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom