not sure if i like this article | Syracusefan.com

not sure if i like this article

CusefanATL

2018 Iggy Post Season Record NCAA Winner
http://www.syracuse.com/orangebaske...hael_carter-williams_analyz.html#incart_river

“That’s why I play the game and they watch.’’

• Doesnt sound like a leader to me
“Nobody asked why I didn’t get Brandon the ball at the end of the Louisville or Cincinnati games,’’
On the one play he’d like to have back:

“Probably splitting the double-team. If I held it out and got a better shot, they wouldn’t have had the fastbreak at the other end.’’
  • not the free throw? And Come on Mike Waters... how do you not even ask about the FT?

http://www.syracuse.com/orangebaske...hael_carter-williams_analyz.html#incart_river

“That’s why I play the game and they watch.’’

“Nobody asked why I didn’t get Brandon the ball at the end of the Louisville or Cincinnati games,’’

On the one play he’d like to have back:

“Probably splitting the double-team. If I held it out and got a better shot, they wouldn’t have had the fastbreak at the other end.’’
  • not the free throw? And Come on Mike Waters... how do you not even ask about the FT?

He's just a confident guy. But like a lot of talented players who have come through the program, he'll be both missed and not missed once he moves on.

It's easy to bash MCW, but in this case I have no problem with what he said. I think sometimes he tries to do too much, and did that on Saturday. But the real question is why Boeheim didn't insist that Triche get the ball down the stretch. I'm not saying he had to be the one to take the shot on every possession, but to not make sure that he at least touched the ball boggles my mind.

It's easy to bash MCW, but in this case I have no problem with what he said. I think sometimes he tries to do too much, and did that on Saturday. But the real question is why Boeheim didn't insist that Triche get the ball down the stretch. I'm not saying he had to be the one to take the shot on every possession, but to not make sure that he at least touched the ball boggles my mind.

I am kind of the opposite. I dont bash MCW.

I, however dont like his tone here. Hopefully I am looking too far into this.

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't suggesting that you were bashing him. I was simply saying that a lot of people may be tempted to based on his comments.

I don't have a problem with his confidence, but I do think he can be delusional at times on the court. He seems to overvalue his one on one ability, often at the expense of Triche and Fair (the two best scorers on the team).

He has to make the plays down the stretch if we are going to win 6 in a row. I'm fine with it, he's a quick learner who is confident in his ability to get the job done. I still feel he has a good chance to be the best player in the NCAAT.

first, all of the quotes are decontextualized, so they might come off sounding arrogant or dismissive when in fact they were not.

second, he probably needs to head over to Newhouse and take the Crash Davis Advanced Course on Media Relations before he does any more of these interviews.

first, all of the quotes are decontextualized, so they might come off sounding arrogant or dismissive when in fact they were not.

second, he probably needs to head over to Newhouse and take the Crash Davis Advanced Course on Media Relations before he does any more of these interviews.

Yeah. I hate how people take quotes from a newspaper article and draw conclusions as to a person's attitude or psyche as if they were there speaking to them in person with no context or insight. That being said, he should think about how his quotes will be interpreted.

In fairness about the FT, he was responding to what PLAY he would like to have back. I don't think most people or basketball players consider a FT a play. Also, his answer involves a conscious decision, which is much easier to envision going a different way than a missed shot. A missed FT comes down to releasing the ball a split second too soon or early or being a little off balance. I'm sure he'd like to shoot better, and you could argue his focus wasn't there, but I'd rather have our players focus on improving their decisions rather than their abilities. Abilities take a long time to improve, whereas decision making can be improved almost instantly. And no matter what anybody says, it's impossible to simulate shooting FT's under pressure; so I'm not even sure it's something he could make a conscious effort to improve.

"That's why I play the game and they watch."

There's a difference between being confident and being arrogant/cocky. That quote is not the former.

There's a difference between being confident and being arrogant/cocky. That quote is not the former.

I don't even care if it's cocky or confident. It's wrong.

We've heard that junk masquerading as logic before, but that doesn't make it valid. It's the same traditional meathead nonsense that says you can't manage a baseball team if you've never played.

Easy with conclusions. If you have ever been interviewed by a newspaper person and the read what was reported you would understand how much they misconstrue and report things out of context. Alo MCW is still a young kid not someone who is running for elected office.

I'm fine with it. To me, it just sounds like he's saying he doesn't let the critics get to him. Maybe he should have just said that and not gone on to say "That's why I play and they watch", but if people were grilled every time they said too much, there would be a ton of grilling lol.

The questionable judgment on and off the court continues. Maybe they ought to have him shut down the media avail? On the court, he's MeShaun Williams, take 2, IMO. Maybe the next development is he hits on a teammate's girl.

I don't even care if it's cocky or confident. It's wrong.

We've heard that junk masquerading as logic before, but that doesn't make it valid. It's the same traditional meathead nonsense that says you can't manage a baseball team if you've never played.

I disagree its the mentality that I don't need to be Monday Morning quarterbacked by every person that didn't have to make the play or decision in real time. It isn't as though he is saying that about his teammates or his coaches. I kind of like the attitude.

His words off the court mirror his play on the court. No need to dissect them and try to justify them.

Sent using my Commodore 64 on Tapatalk 5.3

You have to imagine how many gratuitous shots these guys get hit with all the time. To survive that you need to have a little chip on your shoulder.

But he should definitely heed Moqui's advice about media relations and try not to reveal the chip.

I disagree its the mentality that I don't need to be Monday Morning quarterbacked by every person that didn't have to make the play or decision in real time. It isn't as though he is saying that about his teammates or his coaches. I kind of like the attitude.

That's fair

I am a huge fan of MCW. But I thought he was a much better player when he was trying to get assists instead of points. He let a few good plays get to his head. I believe he is doing more harm than good at this point. Being the main PG to me means being rock solid and consistent, looking for opportunities for teammates before yourself. I like the kids drive and enthusiasm but it's not working right now.

I hate to bring up last year, but it seems like he's trying too hard to be a slasher like Waiters, but even he had Scoop who saw the big picture. I believe JB sees this as well and that's why he has Triche bring the ball up once in a while.

I am fine with the attitude, in most cases... but those quotes just dont sound like a leader to me.

ESPECIALLY the quip about not getting the ball to Brandon.

You NEVER heard GMAC say ANYTHING like that.

I don't know, I don't care much about the quotes - they're still just gaining some level of media savvy at their age, but they do kind of suck. With a few days to digest how the game went down I think you would like your PG/leader be a bit more reflective when asked about criticism.

I'm my own harshest critic...type answers would probably serve him better when responding to that type of question.

One other point I'd like to make is that playing point guard doesn't make anyone a leader and it isn't really a requisite to playing that position well. Don't mix up the two things. It would be nice if he were the full package, but that is a lot to hope for. I suspect that Brandon is very clearly this team's leader.

One other point I'd like to make is that playing point guard doesn't make anyone a leader and it isn't really a requisite to playing that position well. Don't mix up the two things. It would be nice if he were the full package, but that is a lot to hope for. I suspect that Brandon is very clearly this team's leader.

good point. but much like my QB, I want my PG to be my leader.

It is all good to blame JB for not getting the ball to Triche toward the end of the game, but in my mind, it is all on the PG to get the ball to the person with the hot hand or the most talent or the best combination of both. It is obvious that MCW feels as though he did get the ball to the person with the most talent. Himself.

The only question is whether you truly believe that he should have the ball and make the play this year.

In my view, that person should be Triche. Now, knowing Triche, he isn't going to say or do anything publicly that would undermine the team, but I sure hope he got up in MCW's face afterward.