Not to jinx anything, but legitimate question... | Syracusefan.com

Not to jinx anything, but legitimate question...

CuseJuice

Walk On
I know how the polls tend to work as far as teams losing, but given how things have played out with Arizona (and especially if UF goes down to the Wildcats tonight) what are the odds we retain the number 1 ranking with a loss today?

(I should have prefaced this with -- in years past I would have this game on alert as a potential trap game, but not with this team. I think we win fairly handily.)

No team has ever lost and stayed number 1 in the history of the polls. Voters just feel the need to move you down regardless of logic.

No team has ever lost and stayed number 1 in the history of the polls. Voters just feel the need to move you down regardless of logic.
I'm almost positive I remember one year where all of the top 4 teams lost one weekend and the number 1 team stayed put.

Edit: It was just last year with Indiana: http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...0/indiana-hoosiers-stay-no-1-ap-top-25-defeat

What it took: They lost on a last second shot by Illinois, they beat #10 Ohio St. on the road, and then 4 out of the 5 top teams lost. Also, they only stayed #1 in the AP.

I was just talking to my brother about this though. If Syracuse went 29-0 and just say that every else had at least 2-3 losses but have been playing well as of late. If we ended up losing, I think they'd drop us.

Last edited:
I think this is right. Someone here posted that a #1 team lost on a Sunday night once, but the poll votes were already in, and that was the only time a #1 lost and stayed #1. And I think they dropped the next week.

The only loss we can take and stay #1 is if we lose at Duke in a close game. That is the only way we could lose but not drop. Then again if Duke beats us they will probably get all the #1 votes, so who knows.

The only loss we can take and stay #1 is if we lose at Duke in a close game. That is the only way we could lose but not drop. Then again if Duke beats us they will probably get all the #1 votes, so who knows.
I think this is right. Everyone in the country has 2+ losses except us and Wichitia, but I think losing to an unranked NC State in the Dome today would drop us out of #1 .

Unless #2-#5 all lose this week, then I think you'd have a few teams with #1 votes and we might be able to stay put; but has there ever been a week in the polls that all top 5 teams lost?

I know how the polls tend to work as far as teams losing, but given how things have played out with Arizona (and especially if UF goes down to the Wildcats tonight) what are the odds we retain the number 1 ranking with a loss today?

(I should have prefaced this with -- in years past I would have this game on alert as a potential trap game, but not with this team. I think we win fairly handily.)

If the top 3 lose Wichita State will almost certainly take the #1 slot on Monday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom