Not too worried | Syracusefan.com

Not too worried

jgeorge322

Living Legend
not coming away thinking ku is better. Lots of young mistakes on offense and defense and one guy we leave open in the same spot all night. Well improve.

That beig said, moyer shouldnt be playing.

Good learning experience.
FH/TB/OB need to knock down open 3s at a reasonable clip.
Liked that HW got some 1st half minutes and looked fine.
Chukwu had a good 2nd half.
If not for horrid 1st half shooting and turnovers (many of which offensive fouls) could have been a real contest down the stretch.

Agree with the OP.

Basically KU has Graham and we don't. Didn't think there was much difference in rest of roster.

This was OK. Stuff we know. We struggle to score in half court offense. D is better. We scrap, we rebound, we dive for loose balls.

Continue to feel we're in a better place than I'd imagined pre-season.

I don't get it. Moyer physically regressed during his redshirt year. He gained baby fat.
Maybe he’s another Benjamin Button.

I came away thinking yes KU has far better shooters than we do. I just didn't understand why JB let us take so many threes. Brisset hit those first two and it was the kiss of death because he just jacked from 3 the entire first half. In the second half, we did a great job going strong to the hole and score basically at will over and over again. Then we get it down to 7 and start jacking 3's again. I have to think our guys just got tired because I have no explanation for them absolutely flushing about 9 possessions in a row down the toilet by launching 3 pointers, of which we made one. It was bizarre to me that JB would allow the three point chucking to continue.

I came away thinking yes KU has far better shooters than we do. I just didn't understand why JB let us take so many threes. Brisset hit those first two and it was the kiss of death because he just jacked from 3 the entire first half. In the second half, we did a great job going strong to the hole and score basically at will over and over again. Then we get it down to 7 and start jacking 3's again. I have to think our guys just got tired because I have no explanation for them absolutely flushing about 9 possessions in a row down the toilet by launching 3 pointers, of which we made one. It was bizarre to me that JB would allow the three point chucking to continue.
Because that’s basketball in 2017. Analytics have shown that the 3 has a pretty high roi over the mid range. Kansas did a great job of taking away driving lanes with help players waiting on Howard and Battle to get by their first guy. We were essentially playing 3 on 5 on offense which allowed Kansas to limit our big 3 to really bad shots. It’s a testament to how well those 3 played and how good we were on D that we didn’t get truly curb stomped. We really need Moyer, marek, Chukwu, Sidibe to figure some stuff out.

Because that’s basketball in 2017. Analytics have shown that the 3 has a pretty high roi over the mid range. Kansas did a great job of taking away driving lanes with help players waiting on Howard and Battle to get by their first guy. We were essentially playing 3 on 5 on offense which allowed Kansas to limit our big 3 to really bad shots. It’s a testament to how well those 3 played and how good we were on D that we didn’t get truly curb stomped. We really need Moyer, marek, Chukwu, Sidibe to figure some stuff out.

This prob ignores the fact though some of their guus are mia on offense too.

I just didn't understand why JB let us take so many threes. Brisset hit those first two and it was the kiss of death because he just jacked from 3 the entire first half. In the second half, we did a great job going strong to the hole and score basically at will over and over again. Then we get it down to 7 and start jacking 3's again. I have to think our guys just got tired because I have no explanation for them absolutely flushing about 9 possessions in a row down the toilet by launching 3 pointers, of which we made one. It was bizarre to me that JB would allow the three point chucking to continue.

Had the same reaction.

I do think there's a vicious cycle here. This is a bad shooting team. For 2017, it's a really bad shooting team. This means defenses can sell out to stop the dribble drive (which Kansas seemed to do for the last 12 or so minutes of the game), which forces Syracuse to shoot, which brings us back to the original problem - this is a very bad shooting team.

People are probably under rating how big of a problem this is for SU. People say brisset just needs to hit more shots - but he's probably not capable of being anything other than a below-average shooter this year. And people say the team needs to stop settling for threes but perversely the inability to hit them means those are going to be the cleanest looks they get.

Last years team could put five shooters out there. This years team has two (and even battle and Howard are fine, not great, shooters). The game is moving towards putting shooters everywhere to spread the court. SU can't do anything like that.

Had the same reaction.

I do think there's a vicious cycle here. This is a bad shooting team. For 2017, it's a really bad shooting team. This means defenses can sell out to stop the dribble drive (which Kansas seemed to do for the last 12 or so minutes of the game), which forces Syracuse to shoot, which brings us back to the original problem - this is a very bad shooting team.

People are probably under rating how big of a problem this is for SU. People say brisset just needs to hit more shots - but he's probably not capable of being anything other than a below-average shooter this year. And people say the team needs to stop settling for threes but perversely the inability to hit them means those are going to be the cleanest looks they get.

Last years team could put five shooters out there. This years team has two (and even battle and Howard are fine, not great, shooters). The game is moving towards putting shooters everywhere to spread the court. SU can't do anything like that.
I think the team just gets lazy and panics mentally on the offensive end. It requires work to get open and get shots against good teams and right now i think OB and sometimes Frank and Tyus take the long 3 as an easy option. That will change as the season moves forward.

I think the team just gets lazy and panics mentally on the offensive end. It requires work to get open and get shots against good teams and right now i think OB and sometimes Frank and Tyus take the long 3 as an easy option. That will change as the season moves forward.

This is the optimistic take. But there's a reason the NBA is moving towards having shooters everywhere. There's a reason last year's SU team was good offensively despite mostly depending on limited players and/or people who used the pump fake as a primary offensive maneuver. There's a reason Syracuse's best offensive team of the last many years (2009-10) was packed with shooters and offensive weapons.

Tyus/Frank/Oshae are going to basically be playing 3-5 unless someone else steps up. They can try as hard as they want, and make as many good decisions as possible, but that's a huge disadvantage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom