Note on Minnesota | Syracusefan.com

Note on Minnesota

longtimefan

Hall of Fame
"3. More waivers were granted Wednesday for players to compete immediately. Malik Smith got the word he can compete for his former coach at FIU, Richard Pitino, who will be his new coach at Minnesota. Ryan Harrow, who wanted to be closer to home where he is dealing with family issues, won his waiver to play immediately at Georgia State after playing last season at Kentucky. Meanwhile, Marshall's DeAndre Kane got his graduate degree as expected and will play the upcoming season at Iowa State. Transferring is no longer an epidemic, it is reality, and it seems like more transfers are playing immediately instead of sitting out a year."

Given the current rules, normally requiring a transfer to sit out a year (let's not discuss whether that's fair or not), it seems to me the last person who should be granted a waiver is the guy who follows his coach to a new gig. This is a bad precedent. What's to keep a coach who changes jobs from bringing his top 2 or 3 players along?

Well, many people would argue that if you committed to a coach and that coach leaves, then you should be given the right to transfer immediately. The coach is part of the school that you committed to. Whether he follows his coach or not is irrelevant in my mind. It's a drastic change with no current, immediate recourse for a player.

I don't understand the "transfer to be closer to a sick relative and play immediately" thing. If the reason you are transferring is to be with your family, why is it important that you be allowed to play immediately?

I don't understand the "transfer to be closer to a sick relative and play immediately" thing. If the reason you are transferring is to be with your family, why is it important that you be allowed to play immediately?

That's a really interesting question.

Maybe so the sick relative can see them play?

But of course, the NCAA won't let John Raymon transfer from Iowa and play right away for SUFB.

Well, many people would argue that if you committed to a coach and that coach leaves, then you should be given the right to transfer immediately. The coach is part of the school that you committed to. Whether he follows his coach or not is irrelevant in my mind. It's a drastic change with no current, immediate recourse for a player.

Any truth to the rumor that Zach Allen was all set to transfer to the Bills when Marrone and Company left?

Any truth to the rumor that Zach Allen was all set to transfer to the Bills when Marrone and Company left?

Not sure how they are the same since Allen hadn't signed with a school yet.

Not sure how they are the same since Allen hadn't signed with a school yet.

Levity. I already vented my frustration about the NCAA handling of the Raymon situation in another thread.

I would guess the idea behind the relative thing is so the "student-athlete" doesn't need to decide between staying at the current school and playing ball, or transferring to be close to home and giving it up for a year. If the rule was enforced as intended, I think I could see it; for a decent amount of these guys playing college athletics is legitimately career advancement, for a lack of a better term.

But I am a little more cynical, the rule gets flaunted all the time, Im sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom