Notre Dame, Alabama, Oregon, Penn State, Syracuse | Syracusefan.com

Notre Dame, Alabama, Oregon, Penn State, Syracuse

FreakTalksAboutSU

All American
The possibility of HCDM leaving is troubling to many of us, and justifiably so. But can we not find the potential silver lining in the fact that Syracuse is being suddenly thrust into the discussion, along with the other programs above, as an NFL pipeline. Whether or not this perception sticks (it probably wont) it should at least help, in conjunction with our ACC move, the profile of our coaching vacancy.

There is, however, a potential conflict brewing in that we simply cannot elevate the level of coach we get without a commitment to pay them at least slightly more. I certainly don't expect to pay Big 10 or SEC money, but based on the salary of other ACC coaches (http://www.coacheshotseat.com/ACCCoachesSalariesContracts.htm) we are going to have to, realistically, step up into the $1.5 million annual range.

FYI- link somewhat out of date but you get the idea...not sure what Addazio's $ looks like but probably slightly higher than the 1.1 mill of Spaz

The possibility of HCDM leaving is troubling to many of us, and justifiably so. But can we not find the potential silver lining in the fact that Syracuse is being suddenly thrust into the discussion, along with the other programs above, as an NFL pipeline. Whether or not this perception sticks (it probably wont) it should at least help, in conjunction with our ACC move, the profile of our coaching vacancy.

There is, however, a potential conflict brewing in that we simply cannot elevate the level of coach we get without a commitment to pay them at least slightly more. I certainly don't expect to pay Big 10 or SEC money, but based on the salary of other ACC coaches (http://www.coacheshotseat.com/ACCCoachesSalariesContracts.htm) we are going to have to, realistically, step up into the $1.5 million annual range.

FYI- link somewhat out of date but you get the idea...not sure what Addazio's $ looks like but probably slightly higher than the 1.1 mill of Spaz

$1.5M is cheap, cheap cheap. Salaries are only going to go up. You've got more NFL teams looking at college coaches and a s--t ton more money in TV contracts. Agents aren't stupid. I'd say a solid coach for $2M is going to look like a bargain sooner rather than later.

$1.5M is cheap, cheap cheap. Salaries are only going to go up. You've got more NFL teams looking at college coaches and a s--t ton more money in TV contracts. Agents aren't stupid. I'd say a solid coach for $2M is going to look like a bargain sooner rather than later.

Personally, I dont see SU going from $1 mill to $2 mill, especially given that 1/2 of the ACC is below $2 mill.

Marrone should get 10 for 5 deal with no buy out after year three.

Personally, I dont see SU going from $1 mill to $2 mill, especially given that 1/2 of the ACC is below $2 mill.

I don't know what you are looking at, but the only folks making less than 2M in the ACC are Edsall, Addazzio, and Golden, all in their first contracts and those range from 1.6 to 1.75. Doeren is starting at 2M at NCSt from N. Illinois, and Fedora is getting 2.5M to start at UNC. Duke and Wake are paying 2M plus.

You don't? Seriously? You think coach's agents are going to look at the deals top coaches are getting and all the TV revenue these programs are generating and not alter their demands? I just find that hard to believe. If I'm an agent I'm looking at DG or whomever and saying, "ok, so you're going from $4M to $17M in TV revenue. We just won 6 of our last 7 and our second bowl game in three years. We have a great staff in place and continuity counts for something. You have an alum who even gets kids on the academic honor roll at a good place. He was at ~1M on our last deal. The discussion starts $4M and if you're not at least offering a counter north of $2M per year then we can save ourselves a lot of time. Oh, and by the way, football is the lifeblood of your athletic department no matter what St. Jimmy is doing over there with that hoops team."

Marrone should get 10 for 5 deal with no buy out after year three.

What are you, his agent? :)

if the school would be willing to guarantee him $10 million, why shouldn't there be a buyout after year 3?

I don't know what you are looking at, but the only folks making less than 2M in the ACC are Edsall, Addazzio, and Golden, all in their first contracts and those range from 1.6 to 1.75. Doeren is starting at 2M at NCSt from N. Illinois, and Fedora is getting 2.5M to start at UNC. Duke and Wake are paying 2M plus.

I was going by the list linked above.

I knew it was out of date but didnt realize so drastically.

They may have to go slightly higher than I thought, but If there's someone making 1.6 to start, I have no doubt they will still look at the 1.5 mill range to start. They had no problem being at the bottom of the Big East (another out of date list but you get the point... http://espn.go.com/blog/bigeast/post/_/id/26663/big-east-coaching-salaries).

You don't? Seriously? You think coach's agents are going to look at the deals top coaches are getting and all the TV revenue these programs are generating and not alter their demands? I just find that hard to believe. If I'm an agent I'm looking at DG or whomever and saying, "ok, so you're going from $4M to $17M in TV revenue. We just won 6 of our last 7 and our second bowl game in three years. We have a great staff in place and continuity counts for something. You have an alum who even gets kids on the academic honor roll at a good place. He was at ~1M on our last deal. The discussion starts $4M and if you're not at least offering a counter north of $2M per year then we can save ourselves a lot of time. Oh, and by the way, football is the lifeblood of your athletic department no matter what St. Jimmy is doing over there with that hoops team."

I was basing my sentiment on past history, not necessarily what makes sense. I think that this conference change represents the time to make some dramatic shifts as to resource allocation...but just not convinced it is going to happen.

What are you, his agent? :)

if the school would be willing to guarantee him $10 million, why shouldn't there be a buyout after year 3?

Because 2M is with Marrone giving a home town discount.

Then add some Hoffman stock to his salary, you know what they say about a mans heart.

I don't think this is about money or leverage.. if it were he'd have set up one interview, instead he has at least two (CLE/Buff) and sounds like more, he's had heavy hitters (Parcells, Payton) speak on his behalf. This guy wants to go to the NFL and he wants to do it now.. Getting on a hot streak after losing 8 straight games again BCS conference teams, and looking at heavy re-building effort losing a ton of seniors and Pugh on offense has accelerated his timeline.. He's striking while the iron is hot.. his stock won't higher than it is is now for a while.. can't blame the guy..

its the friggin nfl-

im amazed at the crying over a .500 coach -

and if better facilities promised never materialized i can also see his side-

dont like the fan excuse-if he showed some kind of offense the first 3 years he would have built the fan base back up-

imho-he grew more as a hc this past season than the last 3 combined-and now its time to cash in