Notre Dame Game Preview (5/1/21, Noon) | Syracusefan.com

Notre Dame Game Preview (5/1/21, Noon)

Powellfan

All American
Syracuse has their last (as of now) game of the season against ACC rivals Notre Dame. The Cuse are coming off a big win against Virginia, but are still smarting from blow out ACC losses, including one to ND. The Irish beat the Orange 18-11 and took their foot off the gas late, or else it could have been worse. SU was done in by a porous defense who couldn't defend Pat Kavanaugh and a face-off unit that couldn't win a draw. Has Syracuse turned things around?

Against UVA, the Syracuse defense mixed in some zone defense with their man-down, and looked pretty good doing it. For most of the game they deflected passes, were as good on groundballs as I've seen this year, and played fast and aggressive. After playing perhaps his worst game against UNC the previous week, Brett Kennedy played one of his best against Virginia with eight groundballs and three caused turnovers . The Cavs took advantage of the depleted Orange short stick situation and kept things close, so it will be huge to get back either Dami and/or Aviles this week. The question is how much zone does SU play? I've read that Notre Dame decimated zone defenses earlier this year against below average opponents, but don't know if that is because of scheme or talent. The Orange still looked unsteady in man-to-man, with still lots of bad switching and off-ball work. To me Syracuse looked more comfortable in zone, but they have to switch things up as well. They also need to find an answer to Kavanaugh who scored nine points last time they played. I imagine Mitch Wykoff will draw the assignment again, hopefully he can improve.

Offensively, the Orange will most likely play their second game in row without Chase Scanlan. SU showed it could score on the Irish defense in their first meetup, racing out to a 6-2 lead, but they just couldn't win a face-off the rest of the way and hardly saw the ball. I thought the offense looked pretty good against UVA with Owen Seebold filling in, but as a whole the unit does need to shoot better. Jakob Phaup will get the start of course after his absurd game against Virginia, but if he struggles how long do the coaches stick with him? It really feels as though the Orange have to win around 40-45% to win this game. Maybe Phaup has pulled a corner, but it's hard to say since he's had good performances sprinkled in throughout this year. Danny Varello did look okay against UNC, so maybe the coaches go to him more quickly.

This feels like a big game for the Orange, win and they sit on a respectable 3-3 record in the ACC and could potentially rocket up the bracket with a good seed. Also you'd send a conference rival on a three game losing streak to end the season. It is a lot easier said than done, and Syracuse would have to overcome a lot. Most of the talk this week has been directed at the offense and them only scoring 13 goals with a massive possession advantage, but I'm still worried about the defense. I loved the energy from the UVA game, but this team needs to learn to play with their hair on fire each week, not just when their backs are up against the wall.

Anybody else think the coaching staff debates the idea of shutting off Kavanaugh a la what some teams did to Teat a few years ago? I don't think Wykoff was terrible against him the 1st meeting despite his stat line, and I don't think they have anyone else right now they'd give that match-up to unless they move Kennedy down low for this game? UNC did have success with winning draws yesterday and you gotta figure as a team we couldn't be worse than the last game as good as ND's duo is.

Anybody else think the coaching staff debates the idea of shutting off Kavanaugh a la what some teams did to Teat a few years ago? I don't think Wykoff was terrible against him the 1st meeting despite his stat line, and I don't think they have anyone else right now they'd give that match-up to unless they move Kennedy down low for this game? UNC did have success with winning draws yesterday and you gotta figure as a team we couldn't be worse than the last game as good as ND's duo is.
I believe this is what Duke did in the second half against the Irish. All 7 of Kavanagh's points came in the first half.

If ND dominates FOs again then I can accept a close loss.

Would like to see some resilience out of the defense if they’re under siege. I suspect they may be quicker to try zone intermittently if ND plays make it/take it.

I expect a more balanced offense that will hopefully make the most of its opportunities.

Most importantly, just want to see a good fight after their last shellacking.

If ND dominates FOs again then I can accept a close loss.

Would like to see some resilience out of the defense if they’re under siege. I suspect they may be quicker to try zone intermittently if ND plays make it/take it.

I expect a more balanced offense that will hopefully make the most of its opportunities.

Most importantly, just want to see a good fight after their last shellacking.

Since we haven't actually talked much lacrosse this week obviously, as far as the game distractions aside based on the last game against the Irish the team should have no problem getting motivated. Hopefully they can continue the momentum from last week. Don;t expect them to be as successful at the dot but if they can keep it in the 60-40 range, and focus on playing smart defense hopefully good things will happen. Any update on whether Aviles is back this week?

Since we haven't actually talked much lacrosse this week obviously, as far as the game distractions aside based on the last game against the Irish the team should have no problem getting motivated. Hopefully they can continue the momentum from last week. Don;t expect them to be as successful at the dot but if they can keep it in the 60-40 range, and focus on playing smart defense hopefully good things will happen. Any update on whether Aviles is back this week?

No updates on any of the injured players.

LAXND.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom