November wins -- what fans remember | Syracusefan.com

November wins -- what fans remember

SoBristol

All Conference
Old chestnut -- fans might forget how the coach/team did in September, but they always remember November (or in our case, also one in December). These can be the key rivalry games (Pitt). They can indicate whether the HC can "coach up" over the course of the season, make adjustments, keep the team working, and finish strong. An AD can forgive September, if the coach beats the rivals in November.

How are November games going for Coach Marrone? Seasons 1 and 2: beat Rutgers twice and otherwise 0 for 6. Season 3: gotta finish strong.

Am I off base to suggest that Syracuse has historically not had a great November, regardless of the coach?

I got the quote about November from Coach Mac -- who was well aware of the importance of winning his share in November. Don't have the data, but I recall Mac did OK in November, certainly after his first 3 or 4 years, and in a couple of his early years, his mediocre teams finished better than they started.
Oddly, GROB pulled out 2 November victories (Louisville & Notre Dame) in 2008, knowing the end was near. Both wins were upsets. Hoping Marrone can get it done this Friday, and pull an upset in at least one of the last two.