Now it's Neil Young | Syracusefan.com

Now it's Neil Young

stuckinbig11

All American
After seeing C, S, and N last week in concert, Neil Young is doing a concert on MSG tv tonight.

After seeing C, S, and N last week in concert, Neil Young is doing a concert on MSG tv tonight.

I can't stand Neil Young, but saw him at an annual benefit concert he does (for several years). He's really good (I just don't care for his music).

44cuse

I can't stand Neil Young, but saw him at an annual benefit concert he does (for several years). He's really good (I just don't care for his music).

44cuse
I like him better with the group than solo. He really adds some energy as CSNY.

My, My, Hey, Hey
Rock-n-Roll is here to stay . . . .

NY & The Bluenotes!

You're all just pissin' in the wind
You don't know it but you are

Young is a musical survivor. He has had success in so many genres from rock to grunge to folk to country to blues. (Neil Young and the Bluenotes at SPAC in 1988 was the best concert I have ever attended.) I love his music. The man is a legend in his own time.

I was at the CSN concert at CMAC and I'm going to see Neil Young and Crazy Horse in Ottawa in November. I'm under 30 but their music has definitely held up over time.

Saw Neil young solo at a bar in half moon bay about 15 years Ago, phenomenal. Also saw him play in golden gate park with pj, great stuff, he just keeps on going

Young is a musical survivor. He has had success in so many genres from rock to grunge to folk to country to blues. (Neil Young and the Bluenotes at SPAC in 1988 was the best concert I have ever attended.) I love his music. The man is a legend in his own time.]
I saw Neil Young at SPAC solo around 1993 or so. It was just him on stage surrounded by a couple organs, pianos, guitars, banjos, harmonicas, etc. He was yelling out to the crowd asking what song we wanted to hear next. That, was the best concert that I have ever attended.

Here he is playing Like a Hurricane unplugged. Just like that night in Saratoga.

Can't stand Young, never could. Instrumentally/lyrically talented, but one of the worst voices in R&R history. Of all of the CSNY'ers, Stills has always been my guy, right back to Buffalo Springfield days.

Can't stand Young, never could. Instrumentally/lyrically talented, but one of the worst voices in R&R history. Of all of the CSNY'ers, Stills has always been my guy, right back to Buffalo Springfield days.

One of the greatest things about rock is that you don't have to sing like Tony Bennett. Otherwise we wouldn't have Neil or Bob Dylan or Lou Reed or countless others.

Just heard his "remake" of "Oh Suzanna" last night - I was impressed.
"Jesus' Chariot" (She'll be Coming 'Round the Mountain) is also impressive. Definitely not the way we sang that song in grade school . . . . Neil Young and Crazy Horse is like a freight train coming down the tracks and you better jump on board or get out of the way.

I saw him with Buffalo Springfield on The Smothers Brothers tv show when I was in HS, and have been a fan ever since. Dusted a lot of brain cells listening to "After the Gold Rush," and CSNY's "4 Way Street" album is one of my Desert Island 10. His "Thrasher" on Live Rust is about splitting away from CSN over musical differences - they were still into safe, sweet harmonies when he was convinced the punks had something to say. I always liked his edge. The time signature anomalies in the intro and outro both tell you something's not right, even without the lyrics. I learned how to play a harmonica just so I could play that song, which is pure poetry. At the end of the day, he's "still relevant after all these years."

Was at a party this weekend and some of the young people there didn't know about this song's meaning.

It's really hard to believe that this happened in America.

I've seen Neil several times. Best show was 1983 in Athens Ohio. Just Neil, a guitar, piano and harmonica. He started strumming Sugar Mountain as he walked out on stage. Stopped and yelled offstage "Someone better move this stool so I can see their faces." 13,000 fans started screaming. Most intimate 13,000 person show I've even been to. After the Gold Rush at an old beatup piano with a candelabra on it is classic. Also saw him with Crazy Horse and a completely different still awsome show. I caught an old BBC show a while back and Neil introduced a song saying "I've never played this one in front of people before, I hope you like it...Old Man take a look at my life I'm a lot like you..." I got chills thinking that I was watching the first time he ever sang that song live. Weird I know!

I've seen Neil several times. Best show was 1983 in Athens Ohio. Just Neil, a guitar, piano and harmonica. He started strumming Sugar Mountain as he walked out on stage. Stopped and yelled offstage "Someone better move this stool so I can see their faces." 13,000 fans started screaming. Most intimate 13,000 person show I've even been to. After the Gold Rush at an old beatup piano with a candelabra on it is classic. Also saw him with Crazy Horse and a completely different still awsome show. I caught an old BBC show a while back and Neil introduced a song saying "I've never played this one in front of people before, I hope you like it...Old Man take a look at my life I'm a lot like you..." I got chills thinking that I was watching the first time he ever sang that song live. Weird I know!

Here is the set list from that show in Athens

Here is the story behind "Old Man"

"Old Man" is a song written and performed by Neil Young on his 1972 album Harvest.
The song was written for the caretaker of the Northern California Broken Arrow Ranch, which Young purchased for $350,000 in 1970. The song compares a young man's life to an old man's and shows that the young man has, to some extent, the same needs as the old one. James Taylor played six-string banjo (tuned like a guitar) and sang on the song, and Linda Ronstadt also contributed vocals. In the movie Heart of Gold, Young introduces the song as follows:
About that time when I wrote (Heart of Gold), and I was touring, I had also -- just, you know, being a rich hippie for the first time -- I had purchased a ranch, and I still live there today. And there was a couple living on it that were the caretakers, an old gentleman named Louis Avila and his wife Clara. And there was this old blue Jeep there, and Louis took me for a ride in this blue Jeep. He gets me up there on the top side of the place, and there's this lake up there that fed all the pastures, and he says, "Well, tell me, how does a young man like yourself have enough money to buy a place like this?" And I said, "Well, just lucky, Louie, just real lucky." And he said, "Well, that's the darndest thing I ever heard." And I wrote this song for him.
From

"Jesus' Chariot" (She'll be Coming 'Round the Mountain) is also impressive. Definitely not the way we sang that song in grade school . . . . Neil Young and Crazy Horse is like a freight train coming down the tracks and you better jump on board or get out of the way.

I think Americana is an excellent album, although it likely will appeal mainly to those who enjoy Crazy Horse Neil. There is definitely a lot of life left in these guys. The first three songs ("Oh Susannah," "Clementine" and "Tom Dula") are almost overwhelming, in a good way. And I love that they included some of the seldom heard verses in "This Land Is Your Land." Good stuff. :cool:

I like catching him on greatest hits tours. But, when he is trying to push a new album... its painful. Never again...