Now the BS starts | Syracusefan.com

Now the BS starts

rrlbees

Have you donated to an SU NIL collective?
Staff member
According to the WSJ, News Corp will buy 80% of the YES network. Fox also owns a majority share of the BTN. News Corp will bundle the BTN with its other cable channels like YES and FOX News. Ultimately, they will make the cable companies put the BTN on basic cable if they want YES. So in order for us to watch the Yankees, we are forced to pay for the BTN as our basic cable costs will go up. It will be pay or get neither YES nor the BTN.

Do conferences pay taxes? What type of corporate structure are they?

The monopoly that is cable television has become a joke. They know how to grease the right palms though, that's for sure.

Time Warner Cable is the biggest piece of trash there is. Knowing those ass clowns, that'll jack up subscriber fees and force these unwatchable networks on basic cable.

If there was ever a need for Goverment intervention, it could surely be used to control these cable companies.

Can't wait to see Rutgers' marketing ploy as NYC's college team. Crayons and paper mache.

According to the WSJ, News Corp will buy 80% of the YES network. Fox also owns a majority share of the BTN. News Corp will bundle the BTN with its other cable channels like YES and FOX News. Ultimately, they will make the cable companies put the BTN on basic cable if they want YES. So in order for us to watch the Yankees, we are forced to pay for the BTN as our basic cable costs will go up. It will be pay or get neither YES nor the BTN.
Bees, I reported this in previous thread: YES network has 15,000,000 households...covers NYC plus and carries the Yankees, Rangers, Nets, and Jets...if Murdoch and Fox places BTN on YES network, than that is somewhere
between $0 and $144,000,000 yr in revenue at $.80 cents a month per household taking BTN...
This was a Fox-YES move...and B1G went after two teams that were financially needing more dollars..and would be in location for the YES Network...geez..as said earlier...it was totally eyeballs that made this happen...no other reason for B1G to do so especially with Maryland except for revenge on ACC for Notre Dame

I already get the B1G network through Time Warner. Not sure if I'm already paying extra through the sports package for it, but don't think they could charge me even more. Who knows.

The cable companies aregued about YES being on basic, no way they are A) going eat the cost for BTN to get YES or B) Pass along the cost to subscribers in the form of raised Cable bills

It is a shame for Yankee to do this to all loyal fans. My prided Yankee in the late 90’s and early 2000’s were long gone. What left are a bunch of gutless and lazy people trying to buy victories and failed miserably. Jeter should just retire to save embarrassment. Why do I have a feeling that New Corp will eventually fail miserably.

The good news is that cable tv is going the way of the dodo. At some point everything is going to be internet based, on demand and a la carte. I'm in my mid-20s and less and less people my age are wasting money on cable. And now with the cellphone carriers getting into the home internet game the days of these dinosaur cable companies controlling internet access is over. Good riddance.

Question, just a little off topic. With the ACC- ESPN contract, does that mean that next year we will be able to watch all our games on ESPN? Football and Basketball? I watched Duke play some tiny ass school the other night, but I have to wait until January to watch Cuse play.

The good news is that cable tv is going the way of the dodo. At some point everything is going to be internet based, on demand and a la carte. I'm in my mid-20s and less and less people my age are wasting money on cable. And now with the cellphone carriers getting into the home internet game the days of these dinosaur cable companies controlling internet access is over. Good riddance.

Who do you think owns your internet pipe? You think if cable co's see drops in their TV revenue they simply wont jack your Internet connection fee?

Unless I am reading todays WSJ article wrong, it says as much as 80%.

From the WSJ:On Tuesday, Fox is planning to announce its acquisition of a minority stake in the YES Network, which broadcasts most Yankees baseball games.

The deal provides a path for News Corp. to acquire as much as 80% of the YES Network, according to a source with knowledge of the terms.

They're currently only buying a 49% interest. They have future plans to acquire more, if the current owners are willing to sell.

I have no problem with ESPN facing increased competition especially after the Berni Fine fiasco. Murdoch could have made the move with YES without Rutgers joining the B1G. As a Hoosier basketball fan I've been hoping for the BTN to buy-in to the NYC cable market for a long time, and this was the case this year for SU football as well. In my opinion taking Rutgers is mostly a distraction from the fact that Murdoch was going to make a move to enter the NYC market anyway. B1G schools are massive institutions with large alumni populations spread all over the world. IU basketball is playing in Brooklyn tonight. IU fans travel pretty well for hoops, but a significant portion of the fans in attendance tonight live in NYC or the tri-state area.

From the WSJ:On Tuesday, Fox is planning to announce its acquisition of a minority stake in the YES Network, which broadcasts most Yankees baseball games.

The deal provides a path for News Corp. to acquire as much as 80% of the YES Network, according to a source with knowledge of the terms.

They're currently only buying a 49% interest. They have future plans to acquire more, if the current owners are willing to sell.

That makes sense. Reading it on a phone while working isn't the best. So a 2 part deal in time maybe. Doesn't really change the hostage of the Yankees.

I was wondering about what will happen with NYC sports stations and college sports coverage.

YES will cover the B1G.

Does SNY stay with the Big East or switch to the ACC? I think a lot depends on what happens to UConn.

I hope we get SNY. They do a nice job. We need a rush hour like Rutgers and UConn have.

I was wondering about what will happen with NYC sports stations and college sports coverage.

YES will cover the B1G.

Does SNY stay with the Big East or switch to the ACC? I think a lot depends on what happens to UConn.

I hope we get SNY. They do a nice job. We need a rush hour like Rutgers and UConn have.

I'd love to see SNY associate with the ACC if possible. I wonder what role ESPN would play, if any, and what position ESPN would take.

This is why we need UConn in the ACC. Without them, there won't be any ACC news or coverage in the New York area outside of ESPN.