Now we know why we haven't seen Tomcat's recap. | Syracusefan.com

Now we know why we haven't seen Tomcat's recap.

cliftonparksufan

Iggy Award Czar/Co 2020-21 Iggy Award Winner PPG
Must have been celebrating Tuba Xmas.

Annual Tuba Christmas celebrated in Syracuse (photos)

TWSDDJBMTZEGDMNQZI7EL46QJQ.jpg

I attended this event in Baltimore on Saturday. They usually play at the harborplace ampitheater, but it was pouring rain so they moved it inside to the Science Center. You can't beat that low brass sound of >150 tubas, sousaphones, and euphoniums (euphonia ??) playing holiday music (particularly selections in a low register, like "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen"). Great crowd enthusiasm and sing-along.
Tuba Christmas - Baltimore 2018

Last edited:
Thanks for the tuba love.

I found it hard to comment much about that game in a way that is constructive or interesting. There are enough angry posts on the board as it is.

However, I can say the 10 year old girl who sang the NA was terrific.

Old Dominion did a terrific job attacking our zone inside in the second half. The offense has been bad for a few years and I don't think it is a surprise it continues to struggle. I am surprised by the defense, which has regressed from last season. In the past we have been able to get stops in crunch time, especially at home, very consistently. Way too many players are able to penetrate the paint unchallenged. Our rebounding, or lack thereof, on both the offensive and defensive boards, is very disturbing.

This team is the worst Syracuse team I have ever seen at winning 50-50 balls. They are not playing as hard as Syracuse teams normally play, are not mentally alert and they are not physical at all. I hope they manage to find themselves ready to play hard tomorrow or they will get blown out.

I attended this event in Baltimore on Saturday. They usually play at the harborplace ampitheater, but it was pouring rain so they moved it inside to the Science Center. You can't beat that low brass sound of >150 tubas, sousaphones, and euphoniums playing holiday music (particularly selections in a low register, like "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen"). Great crowd enthusiasm and sing-along.
150 tubas in one room. That's a lot of cockle warming.

I found it hard to comment much about that game in a way that is constructive or interesting. There are enough angry posts on the board as it is.

Old Dominion did a terrific job attacking our zone inside in the second half. The offense has been bad for a few years and I don't think it is a surprise it continues to struggle. I am surprised by the defense, which has regressed from last season. In the past we have been able to get stops in crunch time, especially at home, very consistently. Way too many players are able to penetrate the paint unchallenged. Our rebounding, or lack thereof, on both the offensive and defensive boards, is very disturbing.

This team is the worst Syracuse team I have ever seen at winning 50-50 balls. They are not playing as hard as Syracuse teams normally play, are not mentally alert and they are not physical at all. I hope they manage to find themselves ready to play hard tomorrow or they will get blown out.

In addition to the national anthem (which I missed), the Baldwinsville high school band was back in the house and they're as great as ever. (Though it's weird that SU lets the Sour Sitrus Society -- which is good at what they do -- go home right away for Christmas while the no-cut cheerleading group -- which is not -- has to stick around.)

Regarding the defense, a lot of the usual suspects on here were completely dismissive of the idea that the defense might get worse this season. Hughes was practicing all last year! He'll be great at it!

Yeah, good one.

That's one reason I've enjoyed your posts so much. I played Tuba & Sousaphone, in addition to Contrabass in a drum and bugle corps, like 45 years ago. I had a great time with each & appreciate the reminder...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom