Number of games and Eligibility regarding redshirting | Syracusefan.com

Number of games and Eligibility regarding redshirting

Cheriehoop

Moderator/ 2019-20 Iggy Winner Reg Season Rcd
Just wondering why does the NCAA only allow football players to play 4 games in a season without losing eligibility but from what I can see the NCAA doesn’t allow basketball players the same benefit despite playing even more games and having a longer season? Is there some complicating issue I haven’t thought of regarding basketball?

Just the dysfunction and inconsistency within the NCAA is my guess. On the one hand you would think that the longer pre-conference schedule makes basketball a more logical fit. But the relative lower incidence of redshirting and much more prevalent early departures plays against that a bit. On the other, the physicality and injury frequency in football means there is more value in being able to evaluate the entire roster in true game situations in case they are needed.

However, at the end of the day if you ascribe to providing consistent opportunity to scholarship student athletes you would think there would be a more consistent approach.

As has been said above and many times previously, the NCAA has little rhyme or reason for what they do.
Right now, there is a football transfer from OKSt. to Georgia Southern who is still waiting for a decision on playing this season.
He transferred in January to be closer to his ailing father. OKSt. sent along a letter to the NCAA firmly approving the move for the reasons stated.
As a local sports writer noted, the NCAA would be better off flipping a coin on these decisions. At least they'd have it right half the time.

It's not as common a practice to redshirt freshmen in basketball so I guess they just haven't addressed it.

I still wish they had a junior varsity team that would play prelim games like the freshmen used to Walk-ons could play along with certain designated scholarship players (Braswell says hello), who could be transferred to the varsity if there have been injuries.

As has been said above and many times previously, the NCAA has little rhyme or reason for what they do.
Right now, there is a football transfer from OKSt. to Georgia Southern who is still waiting for a decision on playing this season.
He transferred in January to be closer to his ailing father. OKSt. sent along a letter to the NCAA firmly approving the move for the reasons stated.
As a local sports writer noted, the NCAA would be better off flipping a coin on these decisions. At least they'd have it right half the time.
Flipping a coin would be fairer.

The way it works now, the Big Boys (OSU, Miami) get their transfers rubber-stamped. The peons have to jump through hoops, and quite often lose their cases anyway.

As Jerry Tarkanian said:
"The NCAA is so mad at Kentucky they're going to give Cleveland State another year of probation."