@NYTSports: Can St. John's be New York's college basketball team? | Syracusefan.com

@NYTSports: Can St. John's be New York's college basketball team?

One year where they're better than us...

In 2011 when they made the tournament and were in The top 25 a lot of their fans came out from nowhere. See the same thing happening this year. People that I've known for ten years who I had no clue were SJU fans were talking crap.

I'm happy for them, but it will take more than one decent year every 5 years to unseat us.

Siena has 2 more NCAA Tournament wins than St. John's has this century. Sure they can make the NCAA Tournament but this laughable. The last time St. John's won a NCAA tournament game this year's Freshman class wasn't in kindergarten yet.

One year where they're better than us...

In 2011 when they made the tournament and were in The top 25 a lot of their fans came out from nowhere. See the same thing happening this year. People that I've known for ten years who I had no clue were SJU fans were talking crap.

I'm happy for them, but it will take more than one decent year every 5 years to unseat us.

No kidding.

Not to mention, they'll be losing a bunch of seniors this year -- so after their brief flirtation with the NCAA tournament, where they'll likely get bounced in the second round or so, they'll go back to the status quo of being sub .500

typical downstate egotism - There is a giant difference between New York State and New York City. St. Johns should first worry about being Manhattan's college team and go from there

That article reads like the idiot SJU fan who was running his mouth outside the Dome after the game last weekend. Told him they need to do more than beat SU once a century to return to relevancy.

What a year...

On the streets near Madison Square Garden on Sunday afternoon, taxis occasionally pulled up with ads atop their roofs proclaiming Syracuse “New York’s College Team.”

Inside the arena, No. 24 St. John’s continued to challenge that declaration with a 74-53 victory over Fordham.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/15/sports/ncaabasketball/st-johns-mindful-of-its-city-standing-wins-at-garden-.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&smid==tw-nytsports

I'm all about St. John's being good - a strong SJU is good for college basketball and I think it would be awesome for our rivalry to return to what it was in the 80s.

Of all the occasions the author of that article could've used to illustrate the point that SJU has a good team this year, they chose a win over...Fordham?

St. John's is a senior laden team with Greene, Harrison, and Pointer. Obekpa I think is a junior.

About every 4 years they should be good. Hope the series with the Johnnies continues.

Cheers,
Neil

If given the choice, I'd rather beat St. Johns 7 or 8 out of 10 times with their program consistently in the Top 25 than 10 out of 10 times with them being a doormat.

Honestly, the whole "New York's college team" thing is stupid. NYC is a pro sports town first, and a hundred different college fanbases second.

Lavin loses his entire team after this year and it will be back to the sewer hole for these rats next year.

Briancuse said:
They have been trash for many years now, one good year doesn't mean they have reached the top.

I think trash is an exaggeration. Trash would be DePaul. Plus St Johns lost probably their best player whose name I forget for like three seasons. Kind of reminds me of the DC2 situation except he's not our best player fortunately.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom