O splits based on field position | Syracusefan.com

O splits based on field position

K

kingottoiii

It is interesting how conservative we get once we cross midfield.

Our 1 to our 20 we pass it 51.4% of the time. That is a surprise as a lot of coaches like to be conservative when backed up.

Our 21 to our 39 we pass it 62.2% of the time.

Our 40 to their 40 we pass it 60% of the time.

Their 39 to their 21 we pass it only 45% of the time. This is a huge drop off. Once we get near FG range it seems like we like to run, which goes away from our strength. This IMO is a problem.

Their 20 to their 1 we pass it 42.9% of the time. That still is low. Yes there is less room to pass, but it also is harder to run with the Ss not having to play back. It would be interesting to see how much we run vs pass from the 5 to 20. Inside the 5 I can certainly understand. That might have skewed the numbers.

Great data.

I suspect there are a lot of things we need to account for in it, but topline it does suggest the dreaded "NFL mentality" rearing it's ugly head. NFL coaches love to lay-up and play for the FG, it's pathological.

Great data.

I suspect there are a lot of things we need to account for in it, but topline it does suggest the dreaded "NFL mentality" rearing it's ugly head. NFL coaches love to lay-up and play for the FG, it's pathological.
Marrone has passed up a bunch of FGs this year to go for it which I appreciate even when it doesn't work out.

Something else must explain the change in playcalling. I don't know what it is. Maybe it's selection bias - we run more plays in the red zone in games where we run the ball well. Just a guess that doesn't really pass the sniff test (NW and USC were air it out games)

PS i sure hope cfbstats stays up and running for a long time. i assume that's where otto went for the data.

I think the big issue is blown assignments on big plays by the oline.

It is interesting how conservative we get once we cross midfield.

Our 1 to our 20 we pass it 51.4% of the time. That is a surprise as a lot of coaches like to be conservative when backed up.

Our 21 to our 39 we pass it 62.2% of the time.

Our 40 to their 40 we pass it 60% of the time.

Their 39 to their 21 we pass it only 45% of the time. This is a huge drop off. Once we get near FG range it seems like we like to run, which goes away from our strength. This IMO is a problem.

Their 20 to their 1 we pass it 42.9% of the time. That still is low. Yes there is less room to pass, but it also is harder to run with the Ss not having to play back. It would be interesting to see how much we run vs pass from the 5 to 20. Inside the 5 I can certainly understand. That might have skewed the numbers.
Very informative post.

I love the new uptempo offense this year...BUT, I wish we'd run a few plays (runs and passes) with Nassib under center. Same tempo just a different set. This might help us in the red zone since we'd be less predictable.

Also it is interesting we haven't seen much play action thus far. We can fake the run and hit the TE or a slant. That has been missing. I think we used it more last year.

Great post ... it's just proof to what we've all been seeing this year. We need to pass ... alot, to set up a few runs. Once past midfield the mentality should be pass first.

Marrone has been ignoring these statistics the last 2 games for some reason ... this would be a good question for his call in show.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom